Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Happens If The Pass Rush Doesn't Improve?

What Happens If The Pass Rush Doesn't Improve?

Suppose we finish last in sacks again. Let's say Key ends up with 5, Ferrell 4, Hurst 4, Hall 3, Crosby 3.

Up from a year ago but still putrid by league standards.

What happens in that case?

Does Guenther lose his job? Does the D line coach lose his?

Do players start getting traded?

Who gets the blame? Gruden?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyraider View Post
    suppose we finish last in sacks again. Let's say key ends up with 5, ferrell 4, hurst 4, hall 3, crosby 3.

Does guenther lose his job? Does the d line coach lose his?

i think we get t0 30 sacks,which is 120% better then last yr,i expect more coverage sacks this yr cause our secondary is gonna be top 10 imo,guenther will also scheme more blitzes now that we have marshall and burfict in place,im also expect hurst to step it up this yr,same for hall/key

I think Arden Key gets 6-10 sacks this year. I think Ferrell gets to 6-8 sacks this year. Conservatively that's 12 more sacks and gets us up into 30 sacks just based on those two guys. I think our LB group improves and fills gaps way better than last year. Like Bass said, I think our secondary has improved which will cause QBs to hold the ball a little longer on top of that. We should get a few coverage sacks just based on these improvements. I'm going to say 3-5 sacks just based on that. I think that KJ or Abram will have some blitz packages and can get us a couple of sacks either through their pressure or getting the sacks themselves so I'm going to say 2-3 more based on their skillsets. So, that's 17 more sacks and should get us close to 40 on the year.

Hopefully, we get more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    i think we get t0 30 sacks,which is 120% better then last yr,i expect more coverage sacks this yr cause our secondary is gonna be top 10 imo,guenther will also scheme more blitzes now that we have marshall and burfict in place,im also expect hurst to step it up this yr,same for hall/key
    I would love if we hit 30+ sacks this year. That would be great and vast improvement. Hoping Clelin doesn't bust like I suspect he will.

I think Clelin will be a very solid player to say the least. #4 overall? IDK....but I think solid indeed. I'm worried about Key though

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyHater View Post
    I think Clelin will be a very solid player to say the least. #4 overall? IDK....but I think solid indeed. I'm worried about Key though
    See, the problem for me is that being drafted at 4, Clelin can't just be solid. He needs to be a star to justify his draft position.

Anything less than that, and he's a failure and a wasted pick. It will be magnified even more if the edges picked after him, like Sweat, destroy this league and becomes a pro bowler.

We go 6 & 10 and clean house again!

1st round picks don't need to be star players. They need to at least be solid starters.

key takes the wrap and we scratch around next seasons draft, again. it doesn't look like guenther is called tom cable so he is immune from criticism for this season.
    that we are paying joyner 42 million to play some slot corner doesn't exactly scream out that we have a no fly zone either, it's not as if we were missing just one guy back there.
    can only hope the two old geezers playing mlb shore that spot up between them and at least to stop teams walking all over us.
    if i remember right, the bengals were never that blitz happy with guenther anyroad, perhaps we shouldn't expect much more than bend not break defense? as long as players know where their supposed to lineup and not trying to figure it out as the other team snaps its an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post
    Suppose we finish last in sacks again. Let's say Key ends up with 5, Ferrell 4, Hurst 4, Hall 3, Crosby 3.

Does Guenther lose his job? Does the D line coach lose his?

Defense will get better.....it has too; we were the worst in the NFL....not sure on sacks total but think the Raiders might get ranking about 20ish for defense