Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Clelin Ferrell

Quote Originally Posted by Ra1derfan53 View Post
    I believe I read that he was their second ranked prospect behind Bosa. Bosa wasn't there, they couldn't find a trade partner, and they got their guy. No harm in that. I know a lot of us have said they could've gotten him at 12-15 but who knows? Also the phone was ringing for a trade to 4.
    yep,no phone calls for pick #4 so mayock took his guy

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    yep,no phone calls for pick #4 so mayock took his guy
    Agreed. This is not an NFL rating scale that you must take Josh Allen or whatever at 4. This is your board, for your system.

We all saw what happens when you have 2 OLB's faking it as 4-3 DEs in Irvin and Key, we were gashed.

Can you allow a draft pick to dictate how you scheme your defense? Most teams don't do that. That's why you want your coaching staff to stick for 4-5 years minimum, not 1-2, then not only are you changing your coaches, but the new coaches want scheme fitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Agreed. This is not an NFL rating scale that you must take Josh Allen or whatever at 4. This is your board, for your system.

We all saw what happens when you have 2 OLB's faking it as 4-3 DEs in Irvin and Key, we were gashed.

Can you allow a draft pick to dictate how you scheme your defense? Most teams don't do that. That's why you want your coaching staff to stick for 4-5 years minimum, not 1-2, then not only are you changing your coaches, but the new coaches want scheme fitters.
    This is a great point. Bruce Irvin was horrid without Mack. Piece of Shit was a complete joke for an entire season.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think both Irvin and Mack were OLBs and Key was a DE in college. And Irvin only played half the season with the Raiders before going to the Falcons.

When drafting, obviously you're looking for players that 'fit' your preferred system or scheme. Plug them in and let them play.

That being said, a top notch coordinator will be flexible and willingly make adjustments and scheme modifications in order to get the most out of individual players and the unit he is responsible for as a whole.

Should a drafted player 'dictate' your scheme ? No.

Should a scheme be modified or even entirely scrapped when it doesn't fit the personnel you have ? Yes.

We often bemoan a lack of halftime adjustments during an individual game.

I submit that not making adjustments during the course of a season can be even more crippling to a unit's success.

Furthermore, I find Paul Guenther guilty of not making enough adjustments and employing better scheming, which contributed to our pathetic sack total last year.

When drafting, obviously you're looking for players that 'fit' your preferred system or scheme. Plug them in and let them play.
    True. And when you keep changing schemes on either side of the ball you end up with players who are all a miss match

Should a scheme be modified or even entirely scrapped when it doesn't fit the personnel you have ? Yes.
    Yes to modify, no to scrap. Defenses are not that complicated. You can easily switch back and forth from a 3-4 to a 4-3, fake blitzes, line shifts etc. But if you just don't have the talent, you don't have it. How many threads have we had on this board about getting a true MLB? When Bowman was here the defense played much better. Yet we STILL don't have one. Our front four has been set up to be a 3-4 personnel wise.

I submit that not making adjustments during the course of a season can be even more crippling to a unit's success.
    Furthermore, I find Paul Guenther guilty of not making enough adjustments and employing better scheming, which contributed to our pathetic sack total last year.
    I think he did start getting more creative toward the end of the season. I think he once blitzed Joseph and thought it was a far cry from the vanilla defense we'd been used to.
    As much as the Raiders seemed to finally pay attention to the defense in this draft, until Gruden and Guenther still need to get on the same page as to what their goals are.

This whole "there was no phone calls for #4 pick" is really getting tired.

So there was no phone call. So what?

You then take the best player available.

Did we get the best available player in Ferrell at 4?

No.

Let me rephrase that.

HELL FUCKING NO!

Instead, we drafted for need.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post

No.

Let me rephrase that.

HELL FUCKING NO!

Who was the BPA?

Quote Originally Posted by F.I.B. Savior View Post
    Who was the BPA?
    White the MLB probably

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post

No.

Let me rephrase that.

HELL FUCKING NO!

They drafted who was their best guy left on the board I believe. Sounds like they weren't high on Allen or Oliver, not sure about White.