Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All DC ever throws are check downs?

All DC ever throws are check downs?

A very popular proclamation made by many on this board this past year. Furthermore, the notion DC canít throw deep was stated here time and time again.

Were you one of them?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/justblo...er-by-pff/amp/

Go Raiders and in Reggie, Mark, Chucky, and Mike Mayock I trust!

Nobody said he couldn't throw deep. Everybody said he checked down more than he threw deep. Look at his average pass attempt yardage. This link has no stats other than percentages of deep completions. It doesn't list any attempts between the top 5 QBs for comparison sake. Stop wasting our time.

Throwing short routes is a direct result of poor OL play and having to get rid of the ball. I agree that when he first came back from his back injury he seemed a bit more skittish but I think he's moved past that. Watching him play last year, many times he did try to extend the play. I think he still needs to do a better job of stepping up in the pocket or sensing the rush and moving laterally when necessary.

Last year it was mostly self preservation as the tackles were getting destroyed.

carr with horrible oline play (sacked 51 times) still managed to put up all time comp pct 69% and all time passing yds 4100

Quote Originally Posted by srfndoc View Post
    Throwing short routes is a direct result of poor OL play and having to get rid of the ball. I agree that when he first came back from his back injury he seemed a bit more skittish but I think he's moved past that. Watching him play last year, many times he did try to extend the play. I think he still needs to do a better job of stepping up in the pocket or sensing the rush and moving laterally when necessary.

Last year it was mostly self preservation as the tackles were getting destroyed.
    I think he has the mobility to avoid pressure, buy a few more seconds, he just doesn't do as much as he should. Learning from his brother, he just kills the play. He's a big play QB, if you earn a few seconds, who knows, what can develop. That KC game here back in 2017 on the game winning drive, he threw a completion 50 yards on a frozen rope. The kid has a gun, he just needs to learn to keep plays alive.

the thing people called gruden out for last time around was his somewhat conservative play calling.
    he may have acted like billy big bollocks in the commentary booth but he generally plays safe rather than spread the field.
    tie that in with a somewhat injury prone quarterback running for his life and the answer lies somewhere in between.

the fact the offensive line is worse than last years, has a rookie running back, no receiving tight end and a wide out crew that dont know the playbook (it was everyone's excuse for carr last year) probably says more wacky races, dink and dunk offense than pew pew pew 80 yard bombs lie ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieinblack View Post
    the thing people called gruden out for last time around was his somewhat conservative play calling.
    he may have acted like billy big bollocks in the commentary booth but he generally plays safe rather than spread the field.
    tie that in with a somewhat injury prone quarterback running for his life and the answer lies somewhere in between.

the fact the offensive line is worse than last years, has a rookie running back, no receiving tight end and a wide out crew that dont know the playbook (it was everyone's excuse for carr last year) probably says more wacky races, dink and dunk offense than pew pew pew 80 yard bombs lie ahead.
    That's a very glass half empty way to look at it. Not wrong though.
    Gruden likes the game control offense. He looks to take off a certain amount of minutes off the clock. ✓
    Gruden excelled with the Raiders because he had HOF receivers in Brown and Rice. ✓
    Gruden changed James Jet's routes from deep to shallow. No more just running as a decoy no one believed. ✓
    O line worse this year than last? Wait and see at best but looking like it considering Cable and personnel. ✓
    New RB and WR's. I'm not worried about it. EXCEPT after seeing Ateman running the wrong route and Carr had to tell him what to do. Who is this lame WR coach and O cord who don't even know the offense as much as Carr after 1 year?
    At least we can hope the defense will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    At least we can hope the defense will get better.
    I think that will be the key. If the defense can hold back the opposition scoring, Gruden can run his ball control offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    I think that will be the key. If the defense can hold back the opposition scoring, Gruden can run his ball control offense.
    Agreed, we were running 10-12 play drives early in games, but once we fell behind 2-3 scores, we had to air it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Agreed, we were running 10-12 play drives early in games, but once we fell behind 2-3 scores, we had to air it out.
    100% correct. I remember if the Raiders weren't up 35-10 at the half there is a good chance they lose the game. By the start of the 4th the score could be 38 to 38.