Thread: Way too Early Thoughts on 2020 NFL Draft - A.J. Epenesa, DL, Iowa

Way too Early Thoughts on 2020 NFL Draft - A.J. Epenesa, DL, Iowa

Ohio State's Chase Young should get a ton of hype and attention, but my eye is on Iowa as we get toward the next college season. AJ Epenesa has me very intruiged. As a freshman he played in 13 games, picking up 15 tackles, 4.5 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss. He made the Big 10 All-Freshman team. Last season I believe he came off the benched and finished the season with 37 tackles, 10.5 sacks and 16.5 TFLs. He was a 2nd Team All-Big-10. AT 6-6 and 280 lbs he's not a slight EDGE rusher, he's an EDGE setter with power. High motor, massive effort on a whistle to whistle basis. Not the most explosive burst and will be criticized for "short arms" but is uber powerful, technically sound already in the hand to hand game and productive going into his junior year. He's a blue collar bull of a player that will beat the crap out of offensive players. A student in the film room he's a guy that may have just enough questions about his burst/speed and arm length as an EDGE player to make him available for us at some point in the draft. We have capital we can use to move around if need be.

This is the time of year that I'm going to be optimistic that Carr does enough to solidify his spot as our starting QB and we won't be looking QB next year. If we aren't, then a guy like Epenesa would be a perfect fit for what we are doing.

Way too early? You're late to the party, Cbs and ESPN put up their mocks the Sunday after the draft.

Yes, the hope is to see Carr be Pro Bowl caliber, with the new toys we've assembled....a 2nd year in Gruden's system, it's make or break for him, we saw him 2nd year with Musgrave, so that's working in his favor. And if he does, we should get 1st rounder in the mid to late teems.

Kid's intriguing, sounds like someone who can move inside as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Way too early? You're late to the party, Cbs and ESPN put up their mocks the Sunday after the draft.

Yes, the hope is to see Carr be Pro Bowl caliber, with the new toys we've assembled....a 2nd year in Gruden's system, it's make or break for him, we saw him 2nd year with Musgrave, so that's working in his favor. And if he does, we should get 1st rounder in the mid to late teems.

Kid's intriguing, sounds like someone who can move inside as well.
    In a 4-3 he certainly could have that flexibility as well! Who knows he has a whole year to play and for us to evaluate, but he's intruiging at this point and worth keeping an eye on.

Grant Delpit please. Pair him with Abram for the next ten years