Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Texans Talking Karl Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    The clue here is, the guy has obviously not watched Joseph play.
    i think abrams is a younger more talented version of joseph and he will be on a rookie deal vs joseph looking to get paid for his avg play

Not following you. MORE trade value if we picked up the option, yet you say it made sense not to pick up the option - as in your formula, he's less valuable in a trade without the option. You may be right, but I don't get the logic.
    Which part don't you get?

I said -

This is why picking up his option probably made sense.

He'd probably have more trade value with his option year picked up then not.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidermackin View Post

I said -

The obviously tried to trade him during the draft and before the date the option was to be backup and they had no takers. So It wouldn't make sense to pick up an option and be stuck with he player for an extra year.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    The obviously tried to trade him during the draft and before the date the option was to be backup and they had no takers. So It wouldn't make sense to pick up an option and be stuck with he player for an extra year.
    yeah, if he has no trade value and the team has no plans for him beyond next year.

But if he does have trade value, as the article suggests, then it would have made sense to pick up his option year. But again, that's only if he has trade value as the article suggests.

He has minimal trade value regardless of whether his option was picked up or not.

yeah, if he has no trade value and the team has no plans for him beyond next year.

But if he does have trade value, as the article suggests, then it would have made sense to pick up his option year. But again, that's only if he has trade value as the article suggests.

Seriously what trade value does a below average safety have. If a team needed a safety a lot were available during free agency and after the first wave were pretty cheap. If the team couldn't land a player in free agency they had the opportunity to draft one. Now if you need safety would you rather sign Eric Berry, who is a far superior player or trade future draft picks for Karl Joseph who has never played at a high level.

I said -

That's exactly the part I don't get.
    Picking up the option leaves other teams with a higher salary. I would think that any team who wants him would trade for him now while he's still on his rookie deal. Better chance for the Raiders to score a draft pick now. We could get a 2-3rd pick now. He's obviously being replaced this season unless something goes wrong.
    So having a sub par 4th season and letting him walk, we get nothing.

That's exactly the part I don't get.
    Picking up the option leaves other teams with a higher salary. I would think that any team who wants him would trade for him now while he's still on his rookie deal. Better chance for the Raiders to score a draft pick now. We could get a 2-3rd pick now. He's obviously being replaced this season unless something goes wrong.
    So having a sub par 4th season and letting him walk, we get nothing.
    That's not what you said. This is what you said

Not following you. MORE trade value if we picked up the option, yet you say it made sense not to pick up the option - as in your formula, he's less valuable in a trade without the option. You may be right, but I don't get the logic.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    Seriously what trade value does a below average safety have. If a team needed a safety a lot were available during free agency and after the first wave were pretty cheap. If the team couldn't land a player in free agency they had the opportunity to draft one. Now if you need safety would you rather sign Eric Berry, who is a far superior player or trade future draft picks for Karl Joseph who has never played at a high level.
    Yeah, if you feel he has no trade value, then you disagree with the article, and there's nothing left to discuss.

But, if the article is correct and there are teams looking at trading for Joseph, then it would have made sense to pick up his 5th year option at $6.5M.

As far as your assessment of him being a below average safety, others might disagree with your opinion.

According to USA today:

Joseph had a career year in 2018, recording a grade of 74.5, according to Pro Football Focus. Joseph started eight games and recorded 48 total tackles, two tackles for a loss and two sacks. In the second half of the season, he played at a near Pro-Bowl level as he finally looked healed from his leg injury.

While Joseph appears to be an ascending player, the team has likely drafted his replacement in Johnathan Abram in the first round. More than likely, the team will decline his fifth-year option, and Joseph is expected to become a free agent in 2020.

However, don’t be surprised if Joseph continues his upward trajectory and is one of the best defenders on the Raiders in 2019.

https://start.att.net/news/read/cate...ion_o-rgannett
    Last edited by Raidermackin; 05-10-2019 at 09:51 AM.

That's not what you said. This is what you said
    Obviously there is some confusion here. I say he has more value if it didn't pick up the option. I thought you said he has more value if we DID pick it up.
    If that is correct, then we just disagree.