Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gruden, Mayock think they gambled, won with Raiders NFL draft picks

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    Mainly agree with most of what you've said, but disagree that there's nothing to lose by tipping your hand about wanting Ferrell, or whomever.

No reason to attempt to negotiate a deal on the basis of 'If Q and Bosa are gone', either.

All that has to be said is 'we might be willing to move back at the right price, if you want to move up we can make a deal now or we can talk more during the draft'.

Should also mention that a phone can make outgoing calls too.

While it's true that the team initiating a trade call while on the clock loses leverage, it can't hurt to test the waters and see what sort of response or offer you receive.

You don't like the offer you get, you turn it down.
    I agree with this. I have no idea what went down, if they really tried to trade down or just used hope as a strategy, but in the end, they got the guy they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    15 minutes is a lot of time to hammer out deals on draft day,why give it away that your looking to trade out ahead of time when you don't know how the board is gonna fall
    What would be a negative of the Raiders letting other teams know that they are looking to trade down? I can't think of one negative, you?

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    Mainly agree with most of what you've said, but disagree that there's nothing to lose by tipping your hand about wanting Ferrell, or whomever.

No reason to attempt to negotiate a deal on the basis of 'If Q and Bosa are gone', either.

All that has to be said is 'we might be willing to move back at the right price, if you want to move up we can make a deal now or we can talk more during the draft'.

Should also mention that a phone can make outgoing calls too.

While it's true that the team initiating a trade call while on the clock loses leverage, it can't hurt to test the waters and see what sort of response or offer you receive.

You don't like the offer you get, you turn it down.
    Yeah, you can also put it "if the guy we're looking for is not there at 4, we'd be willing to deal x for y." You can hammer it out that way. At least, you don't have to wait for a phone call. If you had some semblance of a deal hammered out, you can actually make the call yourself.

"Hey, so we're interested in that deal we discussed about. Are you still interested?"

Quote Originally Posted by Raidermackin View Post
    My question would be, why would they wait until draft day for the phone to rring? Clelin Ferrell was not projected that high. A trade could have been made well before the draft started.
    What are they supposed to do? Call teams and ask them if they want to trade? The Raiders already made it clear early on they are willing to deal any of their picks. Get on the phone on Wednesday and do one last begging push? Doesn't work that way. If a team wants your pick (or your player for that matter), they will call YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    What are they supposed to do? Call teams and ask them if they want to trade? The Raiders already made it clear early on they are willing to deal any of their picks. Get on the phone on Wednesday and do one last begging push? Doesn't work that way. If a team wants your pick (or your player for that matter), they will call YOU.
    Not sure of why you're going with the stance that the other teams need to call the Raiders. This isn't dating.

Unless you're saying that the only thing the Raiders did was put it out there that they were interested in moving down and they've just been waiting all this time for a team to call and no team called so that was that?

Not sure of why you're going with the stance that the other teams need to call the Raiders. This isn't dating.

Unless you're saying that the only thing the Raiders did was put it out there that they were interested in moving down and they've just been waiting all this time for a team to call and no team called so that was that?
    I'm fully aware it's not like dating. I'm also aware that if a team is begging to trade down, it makes the value of that pick that much less. If a team really wanted to move up to get Haskins from 12 to 4 they would have likely given their #12 pick, and a 2nd and 4th rounder. If not they would have thrown in a 7th rounder just for the hell of it.
    So yes, no team called so that was that. Honestly, I don't think what you are suggesting has ever happened in any sport. Or maybe once out of every 5000.

Beggars can’t be choosers

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    I'm fully aware it's not like dating. I'm also aware that if a team is begging to trade down, it makes the value of that pick that much less. If a team really wanted to move up to get Haskins from 12 to 4 they would have likely given their #12 pick, and a 2nd and 4th rounder. If not they would have thrown in a 7th rounder just for the hell of it.
    So yes, no team called so that was that. Honestly, I don't think what you are suggesting has ever happened in any sport. Or maybe once out of every 5000.
    Looks like Mayock and Gruden rolled out the wrong QB rumors, should have been Daniel Jones, and we never worked him out......Giants seems to think the Skins and Broncos were interested as well. Broncos traded down after Jones was selected......

What would be a negative of the Raiders letting other teams know that they are looking to trade down? I can't think of one negative, you?
    you lose leverage when your advertising you wanna trade down or get rid of a player

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    you lose leverage when your advertising you wanna trade down or get rid of a player
    Pretty sure that's what happened in the DJ Hayden trade, the Bryant trade, the Miller trade down. One draft we were targeting a player over slot and another draft we were targeting a position.....and I'll just kick in the Bryant trade because we got raped on that one..