Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to let the un drafted to return to school

It's time to let the un drafted to return to school

With a record amount of underclassman declaring for the draft usually based off bad info, many kids don't get drafted and miss an opportunity to improve in college. This hurts the school programs as well as the NFL long term. The Alabama coach is right on this issue.

What happens is a lot of these kids take money from agents which makes them ineligible and the agents payoff training before the combine. If the NFL did something like invite 300 draft eligible players to the combine and pay for the three day weekend. No agents allowed and have the kids work out. Then give the kids an opportunity to return to school after the combine. They will get a real evaluation from the team during the interview process. Some teams would say, go back to school you are costing yourself a lot of money. Or some of these kids think they are 1st rounders, when the team say you might not get drafted. It might send them back. When family members get into these kids ears they think they are better then they are and don't know the process. Which screw the athlete.
    Last edited by psly2124; 04-29-2019 at 09:21 AM.

No it's not. You make a decision you live with the consequences.

It definitely is. The NCAA has been allowed to unfairly rule student athletes lives and ruin their college careers over stupid little shit such as paying money to be in a fantasy league. It's insanity. The NCAA needs reformed.

Agree completely. When an athlete quits, the money he takes has nothing to do with while he was in school. He should be allowed to go to any school that will take him. He may not get a scholarship but these stupid rules are hurting people. Let them finish their degree. The chances that any of them would make it to the NFL were/are slim to none in the first place.

One thing I don't get, is if you are not assured to be drafted, why are you leaving school early? Play another year, improve yourself and your chances of getting drafted. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't be allowed back, but I don't even understand the choice to leave when you may not even be drafted. If you are an underclassman you leave when you know you are being drafted and ready to start your career in the NFL, otherwise, keeping working at it and get your degree in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by crizpynutz View Post
    One thing I don't get, is if you are not assured to be drafted, why are you leaving school early? Play another year, improve yourself and your chances of getting drafted. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't be allowed back, but I don't even understand the choice to leave when you may not even be drafted. If you are an underclassman you leave when you know you are being drafted and ready to start your career in the NFL, otherwise, keeping working at it and get your degree in the process.
    My guess is they are playing the lottery.

Nick Saban recently has dealt with this at Alabama. A lot of these guys get bad advice from people around them wanting a part of that NFL payday. We've had several guys over the last 5 or 6 years that were advised by the staff that it would be better to come back, yet they listened to everyone else except those who know the most about football and the draft. Then on draft day they either go toward the bottom of the draft or not get drafted at all. The allure of money "now" is an enormous temptation for a lot of these young guys.

Of course, they're all young adults. They're impulsive and haven't experienced much in life yet. On top of that, a lot of them are dirt poor and want something they've never had. It's easy to see how they get taken advantage of

Fair points, there needs to be a cost though to coming back, I'm not sure at the moment what is fair, but it seems it's not fair to have a hard and fast rule that they can't come back, but it's also not right that they can play the lottery. Maybe part of the solution would be an objective panel/governance committee that could advise, score underclassmen (or even all players) on their chances of being drafted. I know plenty of actuaries that can write algorithms that will give them an array of data points like; chance to be drafted in each round, likely contract offer at each round, etc. At least help these kids make better choices, ultimately they suffer the most if things don't go as "promised" by the sharks.