Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The smokescreens

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post
    Yeah I'm not too worried about it. Mayock wouldn't allow it. He's the type of guy that if he and Gruden really butted heads he would tell Gruden to go ahead and make the pick and I'm going back to NFL Network.
    Thats what I'm thinking... hoping. I'm all for drafting a QB to sit on the bench for a year or two while the rest of the team is being rebuilt, but I haven't seen one overall draft board showing any QB higher than 15 of the BPA. Mayock said he and Gruden would look at the players available at the pick and if two rank the same, they will pick the player at biggest need. Taking a player like haskins who's ranked late teens, is no where near anyone like Bosa, Q, Oliver, Allen and honestly many others.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    Thats what I'm thinking... hoping. I'm all for drafting a QB to sit on the bench for a year or two while the rest of the team is being rebuilt, but I haven't seen one overall draft board showing any QB higher than 15 of the BPA. Mayock said he and Gruden would look at the players available at the pick and if two rank the same, they will pick the player at biggest need. Taking a player like haskins who's ranked late teens, is no where near anyone like Bosa, Q, Oliver, Allen and honestly many others.
    Exactly. In that same interview Mayock goes on to say that if you do take a player for need but isn't the best player available then you're just hurting your team. Like you stated, if two players are ranked evenly then they would go with the position of need.

More smokescreens

Quote Originally Posted by raiderman41 View Post
    I've been following the draft since 1967. The last few years, I've seen so many smokescreens put out by teams, to downgrade players they really want and to make other teams believe they will take someone in order to prompt a trade.

Here are a few thoughts:

First of all, why did Mayock and Gruden "clear the room" of scouts as they began making their final board? Remember, Mayock was a member of the media last year, so he KNOWS which scouts are talking and which ones aren't. I have a strong feeling he knows two or three of the Raider scouts he inherited have a tendency to share what they know. Yes, they've compiled their reports, but they have no idea now how the Raiders have players ranked on their board. Good.

Rumors are starting to fly around that the Dwayne Haskins is in play for the Raiders at 4. Why would this rumor be put out there? The Raiders would love to a bidding war for the fourth pick between the Giants, Redskins, Jaguars and Dolphins for the second best QB in the draft. The Raiders would love to move back a couple of spots, still pick up Devin White, Clelin Ferrell or Montez Sweat (if he checks out medically) and and a second round pick or even a second and a third round pick.

The Raiders won't pay the price to move up to one to get Kyler Murray, but they wouldn't mind a bit if Murray is sitting there at four when they pick. Again, the Raiders could add a couple extra high picks to move back just a few spots and still have the opportunity to select an elite player.

I have to believe that if Murray goes first, the Raiders will select one of the top three players in the draft -- Williams, Allen or Bosa -- unless someone makes them a deal they can't refuse. If Murray doesn't go first, then the Raiders may have the option of moving back, especially if Murray is still on the board at four. Even if Murray is gone by the time the Raiders pick, this still leaves Haskins who will be coveted by the above teams picking 6-15. The Redskins would have to give up more than anyone else to move up to 4, but Washington may have the inside track with Jon's brother Jay heading the Redskins.

The difference in value between the fourth pick in the draft and the 15th pick is 750 points, which means the Redskins would have to give up their first round pick, plus their second round pick (440 points) plus their third round pick (210 points) and probably another third round pick next year since they don't own a fourth round pick this year (future picks are typically worth one round lower). The Raiders could possibly even get the 15th pick this year, a second round pick this year AND a first round pick next year from the Redskins if the bidding gets hot for this fourth pick.

As for all of the media types, I believe most of them are now throwing crap against the wall, hoping that they are right about something since they have been locked out of the Raiders rumor mill and are now angry. Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see at this time of year.
    More smokescreens. . .

The Redskins reportedly are now interested in getting into the top 5 to grab a QB. Could be the Skins really are interested in moving up (makes sense), or it could be the Jets are putting out this rumor to encourage the Skins to trade with them and not the Raiders, since the Giants may also be interested in moving up.

It could also be that brother Gruden is trying to get a better deal from his brother than the 15th pick, a second this year and maybe even a first next year. Even brothers will play this smokescreen game, I'm sure.

I really do believe the Raiders will trade back and pick up a couple more second or third round picks. I would love to see us end up with maybe three firsts, two seconds and one or two thirds. I think the real value in this draft will be in picks 25-96 (lower part of round 1, plus rounds two and three). There will be a lot of quality football players available then.

Look back on the past drafts and you will see that about half of the first rounds truly pan out, while about a third of second and third rounders contribute greatly to their teams. We need to increase our odds.

More smokescreens. . .

The Redskins reportedly are now interested in getting into the top 5 to grab a QB. Could be the Skins really are interested in moving up (makes sense), or it could be the Jets are putting out this rumor to encourage the Skins to trade with them and not the Raiders, since the Giants may also be interested in moving up.

It could also be that brother Gruden is trying to get a better deal from his brother than the 15th pick, a second this year and maybe even a first next year. Even brothers will play this smokescreen game, I'm sure.

I really do believe the Raiders will trade back and pick up a couple more second or third round picks. I would love to see us end up with maybe three firsts, two seconds and one or two thirds. I think the real value in this draft will be in picks 25-96 (lower part of round 1, plus rounds two and three). There will be a lot of quality football players available then.

Look back on the past drafts and you will see that about half of the first rounds truly pan out, while about a third of second and third rounders contribute greatly to their teams. We need to increase our odds.
    In that scenario though, you would have to hope one of the projected top 5 picks falls to 15 otherwise we lose out on the quality of player we get at 4.

I can see it now....

With the 15th pick of the 2019 NFL Draft, The Oakland Raiders select.....

Dalton Risner!

Raider Nation dies from the agony.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post
    In that scenario though, you would have to hope one of the projected top 5 picks falls to 15 otherwise we lose out on the quality of player we get at 4.

I can see it now....

With the 15th pick of the 2019 NFL Draft, The Oakland Raiders select.....

Dalton Risner!

Raider Nation dies from the agony.
    That was frickin hilarious!

More smokescreens. . .

Snyder has taken the lead on their first round....even better if he's desperate......

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...into-top-five/