Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The smokescreens

The smokescreens

I've been following the draft since 1967. The last few years, I've seen so many smokescreens put out by teams, to downgrade players they really want and to make other teams believe they will take someone in order to prompt a trade.

Here are a few thoughts:

First of all, why did Mayock and Gruden "clear the room" of scouts as they began making their final board? Remember, Mayock was a member of the media last year, so he KNOWS which scouts are talking and which ones aren't. I have a strong feeling he knows two or three of the Raider scouts he inherited have a tendency to share what they know. Yes, they've compiled their reports, but they have no idea now how the Raiders have players ranked on their board. Good.

Rumors are starting to fly around that the Dwayne Haskins is in play for the Raiders at 4. Why would this rumor be put out there? The Raiders would love to a bidding war for the fourth pick between the Giants, Redskins, Jaguars and Dolphins for the second best QB in the draft. The Raiders would love to move back a couple of spots, still pick up Devin White, Clelin Ferrell or Montez Sweat (if he checks out medically) and and a second round pick or even a second and a third round pick.

The Raiders won't pay the price to move up to one to get Kyler Murray, but they wouldn't mind a bit if Murray is sitting there at four when they pick. Again, the Raiders could add a couple extra high picks to move back just a few spots and still have the opportunity to select an elite player.

I have to believe that if Murray goes first, the Raiders will select one of the top three players in the draft -- Williams, Allen or Bosa -- unless someone makes them a deal they can't refuse. If Murray doesn't go first, then the Raiders may have the option of moving back, especially if Murray is still on the board at four. Even if Murray is gone by the time the Raiders pick, this still leaves Haskins who will be coveted by the above teams picking 6-15. The Redskins would have to give up more than anyone else to move up to 4, but Washington may have the inside track with Jon's brother Jay heading the Redskins.

The difference in value between the fourth pick in the draft and the 15th pick is 750 points, which means the Redskins would have to give up their first round pick, plus their second round pick (440 points) plus their third round pick (210 points) and probably another third round pick next year since they don't own a fourth round pick this year (future picks are typically worth one round lower). The Raiders could possibly even get the 15th pick this year, a second round pick this year AND a first round pick next year from the Redskins if the bidding gets hot for this fourth pick.

As for all of the media types, I believe most of them are now throwing crap against the wall, hoping that they are right about something since they have been locked out of the Raiders rumor mill and are now angry. Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see at this time of year.

I don't think the Raiders liking Haskins is a smoke screen. I think it's very real. He's big, decently mobile, can throw the ball a mile and posted stats that were absurd.

The smokescreen is exactly what all this QB talk is....

1. AZ- Murray
    2. ARI - Bosa
    3. Jets - Trade to NYG - Haskins
    4. Raiders - Q

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post
    I don't think the Raiders liking Haskins is a smoke screen. I think it's very real. He's big, decently mobile, can throw the ball a mile and posted stats that were absurd.
    haskins has a live arm but is slow in thought and slow footed,many evaluators in the n.f.l have downgraded him because his interviews have been bad and all over the place,thats why jones and lock and grier are moving higher on draft boards

Quote Originally Posted by srfndoc View Post

1. AZ- Murray
    2. ARI - Bosa
    4. Raiders - Q
    i have it

murray
    bosa
    trade out OLIVER
    Q
    trade ALLEN

Quote Originally Posted by srfndoc View Post

1. AZ- Murray
    2. ARI - Bosa
    4. Raiders - Q
    Giants won't be trading up for a QB. They need to improve the roster before they take a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    haskins has a live arm but is slow in thought and slow footed,many evaluators in the n.f.l have downgraded him because his interviews have been bad and all over the place,thats why jones and lock and grier are moving higher on draft boards
    Moving down draft boards. Hence the "surprise" at taking him at 4.

There is NO WAY DC is not our QB heading into the next few years. 2 reasons- first the amount of his contract that would count against us. Second, Brown and Carr have great chemistry and Gruden knows the failures of Carr have not been because of him. The guy never had a Defense, a RB, a top WR.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post
    Moving down draft boards. Hence the "surprise" at taking him at 4.
    Why it's not a surprise is because it will mean the Raiders will continue to suck for a long time because they don't know how to draft. I think most of us have more hope in Mayock to allow Gruden to pull some stupid pick like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    Why it's not a surprise is because it will mean the Raiders will continue to suck for a long time because they don't know how to draft. I think most of us have more hope in Mayock to allow Gruden to pull some stupid pick like that.
    Yeah I'm not too worried about it. Mayock wouldn't allow it. He's the type of guy that if he and Gruden really butted heads he would tell Gruden to go ahead and make the pick and I'm going back to NFL Network.