Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: State of DE

  1. #1

    State of DE

    the way I see our DE unit:

    Josh Mauro- younger/bigger version of Frostee Rucker.... DE who be used to hold the edge, stop the run. Optimal for 1st/2nd down...
    Arden Key- I could see him being a nice compliment to Mauro. Key comes in during obvious pass plays. At only 22, Gruden might be expectating progression from Key in year
    Benson Mayowa- a big upgrade over Calhoun... Calhoun doesn't seem like an NFL player only 0.5 sacks in 3 years. Mayowa had 4 sacks last year, and more pressures according to PFF. Explosive and in his prime, NFL player. Good rotation piec
    Outlook: I still see Raiders drafting another DE and have Mayowa compliment the rookie off the bench. Could easily add 2 DEs for depth and competition, as Barrett is a JAG

    thoughts???

  2. #2
    Senior Member rawhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Hollywood CA
    Posts
    5,339
    Still need to upgrade the position but I also want to see growth on defense as a whole as we saw in the last few games of 2018. Guenther was much more creative, bringing safety and LB blitzes and an occasional corner blitz. Lining players up in different positions. Huge improvement and needs to get better with the FA's and draft picks added.

  3. #3
    NFL players are expected to make their biggest jump from rookie to 2nd year. Arden Key had more PT than expected year #1 so everyone expects a big jump year #2.

    All 3 are very solid rotational pieces.
    Like last draft with Miller & Derwin James. I hope we are not soooo desperate for a position that we pass on a superior prospect.

  4. #4
    Benson coming back is a step in the right direction for sure. We needed some kind of veteran presence there and someone to spell Key and the future rookie or rookies..

  5. #5
    Except for Key I see all these guys as purely depth pieces. Mayowa will see the most snaps IMO. DE position is not even close to being filled at this point.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcalRaiders View Post
    Except for Key I see all these guys as purely depth pieces. Mayowa will see the most snaps IMO. DE position is not even close to being filled at this point.
    Key is the only one with a future, you are correct these other guys are camp fillers, or one year guys. They are not long term solutions.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    Still need to upgrade the position but I also want to see growth on defense as a whole as we saw in the last few games of 2018. Guenther was much more creative, bringing safety and LB blitzes and an occasional corner blitz. Lining players up in different positions. Huge improvement and needs to get better with the FA's and draft picks added.
    I really like how he felt comfortable enough to go away from his staples, to take advantage of the pieces we got, we have Joyner who you can play in multiple spots around the defense, helps mask our calls, show one thing and bring another.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    I really like how he felt comfortable enough to go away from his staples, to take advantage of the pieces we got, we have Joyner who you can play in multiple spots around the defense, helps mask our calls, show one thing and bring another.
    How much of the abysmal total of 13 sacks for the season falls on Guenther ?

    I realize the Raiders didn't have the horses, but 13 is ridiculously bad.

    Seems to me PG should have been able to scheme up some more pressure and sacks.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    How much of the abysmal total of 13 sacks for the season falls on Guenther ?

    I realize the Raiders didn't have the horses, but 13 is ridiculously bad.

    Seems to me PG should have been able to scheme up some more pressure and sacks.
    Pretty much none, when you take Mack away from his defense, and have an unmotivated Bruce Irvin taking on the role as top pass rusher, you pretty much kill the defense. You need to be able press the pocket, from your interior pass rush and we were just not capable of doing that with Hall and Hurst. When the QB is able to step into a clean pocket, the rush off the edge is useless, when the OT's just nudge the rusher rather away from the pocket. Mack's best year was when Mario Edwards was healthy back in 2015, Edwards pressed the pocket from the inside, giving the QB no escape plan.

  10. #10
    Any chance gruden is waiting for a vet pass rusher to be cut after the draft?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •