Thread: 2019 Draft Predictions

2019 Draft Predictions

A couple of weeks out, I am willing to make the following predictions about our 2019 draft:

1) We WILL add at least one more second or third round pick (maybe even multiple picks) by trading back in the first or second rounds.
    We are positioned well at the top of the draft, where the best players can be selected. In addition, we currently have the 24th and 27th picks in the first round, which means that teams drafting at the end of the round will want to move ahead of those picking in the mid to late 20s and early 30s. Our second round pick is also at a place where teams that want one of the remaining QBs will want to move up to in order to take one.

2) There WILL be at least one player trade during the draft -- either we'll move a player or we will add one. I just don't see Mayock and Gruden standing pat.

3) We WILL select at least one player in the first two rounds who is a small school reach.

4) At least one of the first rounders WILL be an offensive player. While many think that the Raiders will go "all defense" with their first round selections, the Raiders have added enough quality players in free agency to make it possible to add a dynamic play maker on offense. I'm thinking TEs Fant or Hockenson or RB Josh Jacobs will become Raiders.

5) The Raiders WILL select a QB. I'm thinking Finley, Jones or McSorley may be on Gruden's radar. He LOVES QBs and believes that team have to invest in this position nearly every year to ensure their chances of "hitting" on one goes way up -- or to develop one that can be traded for draft capital.

I think the Raider could land a player through trade on draft day. I don't know who would be dealt. Next year i can see them drafting a QB, not this year. It has to field a good team first before it could develop a player, quarterback, to then trade in the future. Eagle or Patriot style.

Cotto says the only guarantee is the Raiders get a TE so I'll stick with that.

Some quotes from the boss:

“It’s Arden Key and me,” Gruden growled playfully at Raiders general manager Mike Mayock. “That’s all we’ve got. What are you going to do, Mike?”

“It’s a mysterious group of guys, it really is,” Gruden said at the NFL owners meetings. “Obviously, (Nick) Bosa’s a great player (but) he’s an underclassman who didn’t even play much. A lot of these guys’ play-time is not what you want it to be -- they don’t play a lot of snaps. They’re underclassmen, also, and a lot of these guys haven’t even done an individual workout. They haven’t even run yet.

“I want to see Arden Key play better,” Gruden said, his voice rising. “I want to see our second-year players play better. They got to play a lot last year, big deal. I want to see them play great this year. I’ll start the conversation right there -- Arden’s got to play better, he’s got to get stronger, he’s got to play better.

“They don’t grow on trees. These defensive ends, they don't grow on trees. I know I've been criticized for trading one of the best (in Mack), but we're going to look hard to replenish and add players at that position. That's for sure.”

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    Some quotes from the boss:

“It’s Arden Key and me,” Gruden growled playfully at Raiders general manager Mike Mayock. “That’s all we’ve got. What are you going to do, Mike?”

“It’s a mysterious group of guys, it really is,” Gruden said at the NFL owners meetings. “Obviously, (Nick) Bosa’s a great player (but) he’s an underclassman who didn’t even play much. A lot of these guys’ play-time is not what you want it to be -- they don’t play a lot of snaps. They’re underclassmen, also, and a lot of these guys haven’t even done an individual workout. They haven’t even run yet.

“I want to see Arden Key play better,” Gruden said, his voice rising. “I want to see our second-year players play better. They got to play a lot last year, big deal. I want to see them play great this year. I’ll start the conversation right there -- Arden’s got to play better, he’s got to get stronger, he’s got to play better.

“They don’t grow on trees. These defensive ends, they don't grow on trees. I know I've been criticized for trading one of the best (in Mack), but we're going to look hard to replenish and add players at that position. That's for sure.”
    Exactly what I said. What are they basing Bosa's #1 ranking on? The guy is a mystery. Hardly worth the risk at 1.

The best defensive players in this draft are..

Sweat #1 Edge
    Oliver #1 DT
    White #1 LB
    Oruwariye #1 Corner.

Raiders get 2 of those guys out of the 3 1st round picks we have, Raider Nation better celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post
    Exactly what I said. What are they basing Bosa's #1 ranking on? The guy is a mystery. Hardly worth the risk at 1.

Sweat #1 Edge
    Oliver #1 DT
    White #1 LB
    Oruwariye #1 Corner.

Raiders get 2 of those guys out of the 3 1st round picks we have, Raider Nation better celebrate.
    Giants, Jets, and Bills are working out Oruwariye.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post

Sweat #1 Edge
    Oliver #1 DT
    White #1 LB
    Oruwariye #1 Corner.

Oruwariye isn't close to the best CB in this draft. He isn't even top 5. He gave up 4 Td's last year and 8 in three years. And he played zone in 60% of his snaps. Overrated. He couldn't hold Greedy's strap. Greedy allows only 1/3 of the passes thrown to him to be caught. Olrwariye allows 1/2. People say Greedy can't tackle and that's his weakness. He missed 6 tackles. Oruwariye missed 11.
    Last edited by psly2124; 04-12-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    Oruwariye isn't close to the best CB in this draft. He isn't even top 5. He gave up 4 Td's last year and 8 in three years. And he played zone in 60% of his snaps. Overrated. He couldn't hold Greedy's strap. Greedy allows only 1/3 of the passes thrown to him to be caught. Olrwariye allows 1/2. People say Greedy can't tackle and that's his weakness. He missed 6 tackles. Oruwariye missed 11.
    Disagree. Oruwariye is better suited for the NFL at the next level. He's almost as fast, but he's stronger and more athletic than Greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    Oruwariye isn't close to the best CB in this draft. He isn't even top 5. .
    This CB class is a 4 man race 1-4. GMs and scouts around the league universally agree. The rankings 1-4 are probably all over the place but it’s not even an argument
    The top guys in no order are:
    Greedy
    Rock
    Murphy
    Baker
    There’s a group of 4-5 guys that have a case at #5. But those are the top 4 guys and it’s really no argument.

1 wild card that could sneak in the bottom of that top 4 lately is Lonnie Johnson Jr.