Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will 2019 Be Derek Carr's Last Season As A Raider ?

Will 2019 Be Derek Carr's Last Season As A Raider ?

I think it will be.

In fact, I think if DC wasn't owed a substantial amount of guaranteed money this year, he might be off the roster before the Raids play their first game of this season.

There is little doubt that DC has the arm talent to be an upper echelon NFL QB. He can make all the throws. His accuracy on short and intermediate passes is very good.

Carr's problem is an inabilty to make things happen when a play goes 'off schedule'.

Carr does not handle pressure very well. Despite having good athleticism he doesn't use his legs frequently enough. His pocket presence is lacking. He does not slide in the pocket or step up when necessary. He feels pressure when it's not there and is too quick to check down instead of surveying the field.

Of course, not all of the above critiques are entirely DC's fault nor are they shortcomings that can't be fixed or at least partly ameliorated.

DC's protection was very poor last season. He seemed like a sitting duck far too often. Carr appears to have the ability to throw on the run and it seemed to me that the Raids did not employ enough roll outs to minimize the pressure Carr was continually faced with.

That being said, I still do not feel that DC, despite his arm talent, is the franchise QB that the Raids have been searching for.

I'm no spring chicken. Been a Raider fan for 50 years. Especially loved the GREAT Raider teams of the 70's and the brutal rivalry with the Steelers of that era.

To me, that was the pinnacle of NFL football. The game at it's best. Today's players might be superior - they're bigger, faster, and stronger - but the game in my opinion was better 'back in the day'.

But I digress.

It's 2019 and the Raid future will depend in large part on resolving the question of whether DC is truly a franchise QB.

Sadly, I don't believe he is. But I'll surely be rooting for him to prove me wrong.

Glad to finally being able to post here and looking forward to discussing the State of the Nation and the upcoming season.

He had one of the worst offensive lines in the league last year (and very weak WR crew) and threw for over 4000yds with almost 70% completion percentage. I'd say his ability to make things happen when things go 'off schedule' is fine. In fact, I think last season he actually improved in that department (he had to) which I think will translate in to more success this year.

Hope you're right, but when I see DC grounding the ball on 4th down, I'm not confident that he's our guy.

This might be a stretch, but I feel a lot of people who defend Carr (not specifically forums members) don’t really understand football.....they look at his one magic season and his pro bowl nods (doesn’t really mean anything when 2-3 qbs drop out or in the super bowl) and think he’s a star and will justify his contract based on those accolades. Kind of reminds me of a guy defending his wife even though he knows she’s wrong...

I don't think he's the QB to lead us to a Super Bowl. He is the check down king. People say look how fast his release is. What they don't realize is his release is that quick because he's already decided who to throw the ball to pre snap. That's why he panics when a play breaks down.

Here in Philly, I've witnessed 2 QBs in their primes. One who is hailed as the future king in Carson Wentz and the other who is already a legend in Nick Foles.

If you asked me what qualities does Carr have that he is most similar to I would say Wentz and that's not a good thing.

I wish Carr was as good as Wentz.

I know you don't like the guy, but I think he's a baller.

I know Wentz has been accused of targeting Ertz way too much, but I think that's a bunch of crap.

Wentz, unlike Carr, will stand tall in the pocket take a hit and deliver.

Wentz's biggest question mark in my opinion is his durability.

I think the Beagles made the right choice in Wentz over Foles.

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    I wish Carr was as good as Wentz.

I know you don't like the guy, but I think he's a baller.

I know Wentz has been accused of targeting Ertz way too much, but I think that's a bunch of crap.

Wentz, unlike Carr, will stand tall in the pocket take a hit and deliver.

Wentz's biggest question mark in my opinion is his durability.

I think the Beagles made the right choice in Wentz over Foles.
    Wentz F'ing blows. The most overrated piece of crap in a long time. Panics in adversity, shrinks in big games and the spotlight, always gets hurt, doesn't handle pressure.

He's so good that if it wasn't for Foles this year (again), the Eagles are a lottery team.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyRaider View Post
    Panics in adversity, shrinks in big games and the spotlight, always gets hurt, doesn't handle pressure.
    Sounds like DC, except the big game part. Carr's never gotten us to one.

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMAN818 View Post
    Sounds like DC, except the big game part. Carr's never gotten us to one.
    That's why I said he has the same characteristics and that's not good. Eagles will forever regret letting Foles go and keeping Wentz.

Hey, at least they let him go TWICE.

I have a feeling the Raids will only let Carr go once.