Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Allen:

Josh Allen:

Over the last two seasons, Kentucky edge Josh Allen has rushed the passer 520 times (about 1 1/4 seasons for most pass rushers):

He has:
    24 sacks
    24 QB hits
    50 hurries

Just an incredibly disruptive EDGE rusher. We need something like that on our team.

Most on here want Q or a trade down, just playing devils advocate. If we end up and have to “settle” for Josh Allen, I’ll be pumped.

Having the #4 pick, it’ll be tough to mess this up. So many great options. I’m glad we have a draft expert like Mayock around to guide Gruden through all this info.

He doesn't fit what the Raiders do. He can't play DE. He didn't do it at Kentucky and he won't do it in the NFL. If the Raiders ran a 3-4 he would be a fit. Similar to Anthony Barr coming out. 4-3 SAM LB don't go top 5. Someone will say Mack did so that means Allen can do it. I'm sure he can play DE or DT, he just won't be effective. I watched 4 games, he struggled when TE's engaged him.
    Last edited by psly2124; 03-18-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitzrrr View Post
    Over the last two seasons, Kentucky edge Josh Allen has rushed the passer 520 times (about 1 1/4 seasons for most pass rushers):

He has:
    24 sacks
    24 QB hits
    50 hurries

Just an incredibly disruptive EDGE rusher. We need something like that on our team.

Most on here want Q or a trade down, just playing devils advocate. If we end up and have to “settle” for Josh Allen, I’ll be pumped.

Having the #4 pick, it’ll be tough to mess this up. So many great options. I’m glad we have a draft expert like Mayock around to guide Gruden through all this info.
    I have a real bad feeling Q and Bosa will be gone. I would want Devin White, but I think Mayock and Gruden may take Sweat, if the heart checks out.

Josh Allen or Devin White at #4. Either one would be great to have. I don't particularly want the Raiders to trade back for fear of missing out on a great talent. One of those 2 will be available at #4.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    He doesn't fit what the Raiders do. He can't play DE. He didn't do it at Kentucky and he won't do it in the NFL. If the Raiders ran a 3-4 he would be a fit. Similar to Anthony Barr coming out. 4-3 SAM LB don't go top 5. Someone will say Mack did so that means Allen can do it. I'm sure he can play DE or DT, he just won't be effective. I watched 4 games, he struggled when TE's engaged him.
    You keep saying that but I think your wrong here. We don't play a basic 4-3 anyways, more like a 4-2-5 plus he has the prototypical size to play DE in the NFL. He ends up playing the SAM on 1st down and then DE on 2/3. That's exactly how we started Mack his rookie year and then he was able to get stronger and mature in the role. I could see Allen doing the same but with better coverage skills to boot. If he's there at 4 and Q/Bosa are gone I dont' see how you pass him. #4 is too early to take White so we could trade back as many have said but I think passing on Allen here would be a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by srfndoc View Post
    You keep saying that but I think your wrong here. We don't play a basic 4-3 anyways, more like a 4-2-5 plus he has the prototypical size to play DE in the NFL. He ends up playing the SAM on 1st down and then DE on 2/3. That's exactly how we started Mack his rookie year and then he was able to get stronger and mature in the role. I could see Allen doing the same but with better coverage skills to boot. If he's there at 4 and Q/Bosa are gone I dont' see how you pass him. #4 is too early to take White so we could trade back as many have said but I think passing on Allen here would be a mistake.
    It's possible I could be wrong. He plays maybe one snap a game from a three point stance. He didn't do it at Kentucky. When he went against tackles he was neutralized. He mostly went against TE's. I watched the Florida game against Jawaan Taylor, who maybe the first lineman taken. Not a lot of people beat him and Allen didn't. Against Georgia he wasn't beating TE's an he wasn't stronger. I like watching players against better competition or players that will be playing the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    They make a highlight tape of the 2nd best end rusher and show him in coverage. He beat the tackle to the end. You see that in every game. Big deal. This idiot compares him to Khalil Mack. Just because they play the same position doesn't make them the same player. Allen does not rush the passer like Mack did. He was so much stronger. Find me a tape where Allen pushes tackles like Mack

Allen brings a special skill set as he is extremely versatile and can be used in many different ways. He can rush the passer, play the run, or drop back in coverage. He has the size and speed to match up with tight ends as well. If he’s available at 4, I don’t see how you can pass on him. He drops back into coverage just as much as he rushes the passer and he still generated tons of pressure, as he got 17 sacks this past year.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaRaider View Post
    Allen brings a special skill set as he is extremely versatile and can be used in many different ways. He can rush the passer, play the run, or drop back in coverage. He has the size and speed to match up with tight ends as well. If he’s available at 4, I don’t see how you can pass on him. He drops back into coverage just as much as he rushes the passer and he still generated tons of pressure, as he got 17 sacks this past year.
    I never said he wasn't versatile. He will fit best as a 3-4 LB. Ideally a team that draft him would utilize him that way to maximize his skill set. The worst thing is for team to change what a player does best to make him into something he's not. If he's moved to DE that's what a team will be doing. It's possible he could do it, but why take the risk if he can't.