Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Message sent

Message sent

Antonio Brown - 6th round pick
    Tyrell Williams - undrafted
    Trent Brown - 7th round

To make it, these guys had to work hard, study hard and overcome a lot of odds to make it on NFL teams.

Think this work ethic will rub off on the rest of the team.

Gruden and Mayock are hoping!

What it also shows is, those teams know how to draft. So far the Patriots have lost some key players from last years team and if history is any indication, they'll bounce right back to where they left off.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    What it also shows is, those teams know how to draft. So far the Patriots have lost some key players from last years team and if history is any indication, they'll bounce right back to where they left off.
    Or more like they know how to develop and utilize players better. Having a 6th rounder turn into the best WR in football has zero to do with their drafting ability. If they knew he’d be that good they would have taken him with their first pick.

I don't think you can put that all on development by the team. These guys had to stay motivated to work their way up too. AB loves to work out. Most humans do not.

Obviously this says a lot about the players themselves; this also says a lot about the coaching staff for each team and their ability to coach and use talent, as well as the front office in finding and recognizing players that will fit into a scheme/style/culture. It takes all pieces to come together. Hopefully the Raiders know who they are now and what players fit. Gruden and Mayock should add stability to the front office and coaching levels. Now they need to stick to the plan and get it.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    I don't think you can put that all on development by the team. These guys had to stay motivated to work their way up too. AB loves to work out. Most humans do not.
    Oh absolutely. I give most of the credit to the player. My argument was that it says more about a teams ability to develop and to utilize talent than it does about drafting ability. Finding the best WR in football in the 6th round was a stroke of luck that turned out well.

Player drive/work ethic and coaching all play a role. You also have to have elite skills but we all know that alone is not enough. BB has a system, he know it works and what players will work in it and executes that well. He also has had TB for all of his winning years. Gruden also has a system, will Carr be his TB and can they string together a decade or more of consistent play for the Raiders. One can only hope....

Quote Originally Posted by Dayg0stylz View Post
    Oh absolutely. I give most of the credit to the player. My argument was that it says more about a teams ability to develop and to utilize talent than it does about drafting ability. Finding the best WR in football in the 6th round was a stroke of luck that turned out well.
    Gotcha. That makes sense. The consistency and stability of a franchise's system allows guys to learn and advance in those systems. If they have an all world work ethic then they will most likely succeed in the systems.

Also looking at the contracts, ABrown's is essentially a 2 year deal, all the guarantees are this year and next year, with 333,333 dead weight after 2020. Williams' deal is a 1 year 10 million dollar deal, that is the only guarantee on his deal, he'll have to earn Vegas, by putting together a great year in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Also looking at the contracts, ABrown's is essentially a 2 year deal, all the guarantees are this year and next year, with 333,333 dead weight after 2020. Williams' deal is a 1 year 10 million dollar deal, that is the only guarantee on his deal, he'll have to earn Vegas, by putting together a great year in 2019.
    contracts are looking very friendly and not close to what the media called over paying