Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaining a lot more respect for Raiders' moves

Gaining a lot more respect for Raiders' moves

Looking at how the Raiders handled the Khalil Mack situation compared to how the Steelers handled Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell, the Raiders look like geniuses.

Did they see players like Mack pretty much setting their own course, even if they had to sit out a year, like Bell did? Did the Raiders realize that there was no way they could afford Mack and enough other good players to field a quality team?

The three players the Raiders signed this week, three Pro Bowl caliber players at WR, OT and S, received less than $90 million in guaranteed money, less than Mack received from the Bears.

The Raiders traded for Antonio Brown and got him for only 3rd and 5th round picks, saving all three of their first rounders, as well as their high, second round pick. Conversely, the Raiders received two firsts for Mack and a first for Amari Cooper. So would you rather have Antonio Brown or Amari Cooper? In 60 some games, Cooper had 19 games in which he caught passes for 30 yards or less. In over 90 games, Brown only had two games at this level. Only two.

Then you look at the Odell Beckham trade. The Giants received a first, a second and a starting player. Is Beckham worth that much more than Brown? No, the Raiders completely fleeced the Steelers.

The more I see what's happened with the Raiders last year and into the start of free agency this year, the Raiders are looking more and more like they're making the right moves to field a winning team, given the hands they were dealt. I don't think Mack wanted to be in Oakland, and neither did Cooper. Those players are gone now, for three first round picks. The Steelers had two players two who didn't want to be there. What did they receive in return, a third and fifth round pick.

I will add the Chiefs are getting only a 2nd round pick for Dee Ford where we got 2 1st for Mack. Granted Mack is better but still.

I like what the team has done so far. But it’s kind of unfair to compare the OBJ trade and the AB trade considering AB killed any leverage the Steelers could have. They pretty much had to take what was offered.

Ya, these aren't apples to apples comparisons however I agree with your thoughts conceptually. The more I think about L.Bell, he would've been a luxury at this point. There are many more options at RB for us than there are at WR and we still need a WR either in the draft and/or FA. They do need to find an EDGE or 2 in FA, even if they are mid-level guys, we need some bodies there and we can't bank on just the draft to do it.

I've tried to not talk about Mack, but the bottom line, the Raiders miss-judged the situation. They figured he'd blink and he called their bluff. They wanted him to play his 5th year option out and didn't believe he'd sit out, but when it became apparent he would sit out they basically panicked and got what they could for him which was a nice haul really. I truly believed they banked on him reporting and at the final hour realized, shit, this dude ain't reporting....
    Last edited by crizpynutz; 03-13-2019 at 03:08 AM.

I think the money we saved on Bell should be invested in going after Dline in free agency. I think Justin Houston. Its crazy to bank 100% on the draft and 2nd year players to boost the d line play and pass rush. You dont bank everything on unknowns..

Quote Originally Posted by fad View Post
    I think the money we saved on Bell should be invested in going after Dline in free agency. I think Justin Houston. Its crazy to bank 100% on the draft and 2nd year players to boost the d line play and pass rush. You dont bank everything on unknowns..
    True you don't bank everything on the unknown, But Houston doesn't seem to be the player he was 3years ago. Better to take some chances in the draft.

Mack, as good as he is, wasn't worth the type money he was wanting. Plain and simple. The team had (and still does at some positions) talent depleted needs all over the roster. Strapping the kind of money Mack wanted to our payroll would have hamstrung management in adding talent to the team. So sure, we would have a pro bowl DE year in and your out racking up 12-15 sacks per year while struggling to get to 8-8 because we were bad to mediocre everywhere else.

I think the moves the Raiders are making are good for the team and the overall success of it. Just like with Coop, he needed to go. We got a first rounder for him. Great move.

And Brown costs $21 million against Steelers cap

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Raider View Post
    Mack, as good as he is, wasn't worth the type money he was wanting. Plain and simple. The team had (and still does at some positions) talent depleted needs all over the roster. Strapping the kind of money Mack wanted to our payroll would have hamstrung management in adding talent to the team. So sure, we would have a pro bowl DE year in and your out racking up 12-15 sacks per year while struggling to get to 8-8 because we were bad to mediocre everywhere else.

I think the moves the Raiders are making are good for the team and the overall success of it. Just like with Coop, he needed to go. We got a first rounder for him. Great move.
    Look at the cap hit the Steelers are taking this year -- for a player who isn't even on their team. That's like one-ninth of the cap for someone who won't even play for them.

Like I said in the original post, I think the Raiders may have seen this coming. Imagine if Mack had held out all year and the team had been forced to treat him like Brown or Bell. We would have gotten maybe a second round pick for him, probably nothing.

The Steelers had two players who were arguably the best at their positions in the NFL, lost them both and got only a third and a fifth in return.

Even with a Rookie GM the moves that were made have made sense. Money is money and free agents get paid, I'm never a fan of overpaying, it is what it is. But it seems like a plan is in place. Unlike past years with incompetent Reggie, just throwing money at anyone who would take it. Or the Raiders getting the short end of the stick on trades.

Quote Originally Posted by fad View Post
    I will add the Chiefs are getting only a 2nd round pick for Dee Ford where we got 2 1st for Mack. Granted Mack is better but still.
    its a 2nd for 2020 the value of that pick is like a 3rd this yr