Thread: memories of the 1983 AFC Championship Game

memories of the 1983 AFC Championship Game

Hi there! My name's Sean! I'm 28 years old, and I've got autism. Even though I don't live in California (I live near St. Louis with my grandparents), and even though I'm not really a football fan (the only sports team that I like are the St. Louis Cardinals), but since I like the nostalgia of the 1980's and 1990's, what memories do you have from the 1983 AFC Championship Game against the Seahawks (before the Raiders won Super Bowl 18 against the Redskins), with head coach Tom Flores, and players like Marcus Allen?
    Thanks!
    Sean

Welcome to the board Sean. Yes that season was awesome. Hoping for more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    Welcome to the board Sean. Yes that season was awesome. Hoping for more like it.
    once were done witht he rebuild 'it'll be back to winning once more like the old days" i think were closer then most think,we just have to nail the next draft and follow with another good draft and we could get to championship caliber

Game wise, I was scared to death, Seattle owned us in the regular season, we lost 4 games that season, 2 to Seattle. Turnovers ruled the regular season games, Plunkett had 3 picks, we fumbled 3-4 times in the first matchup, which led to Plunkett hitting the bench. Marc Wilson started the next 3 games, including the Seattle game where he threw 4 picks and we got blown out.

As for the championship game, we dominated from the opening kickoff, defense, offense, special teams. Lester Hayes got a pick, we got 5 turnovers, Plunkett threw 2 picks, we moved the ball and got off to a quick start, we were up 20 nothing at the half. The difference, our defense showed up. Seattle has a good front 3 in Nash, Jacob Green, and Bryant, big time pass rusher, Marcus gashed them for a buck 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    Game wise, I was scared to death, Seattle owned us in the regular season, we lost 4 games that season, 2 to Seattle. Turnovers ruled the regular season games, Plunkett had 3 picks, we fumbled 3-4 times in the first matchup, which led to Plunkett hitting the bench. Marc Wilson started the next 3 games, including the Seattle game where he threw 4 picks and we got blown out.

As for the championship game, we dominated from the opening kickoff, defense, offense, special teams. Lester Hayes got a pick, we got 5 turnovers, Plunkett threw 2 picks, we moved the ball and got off to a quick start, we were up 20 nothing at the half. The difference, our defense showed up. Seattle has a good front 3 in Nash, Jacob Green, and Bryant, big time pass rusher, Marcus gashed them for a buck 50.
    Man... I had forgotten about Plunkett being benched. The Defense was the key that season. It was a GREAT group. I LOVE that team. Al really FUCKED Marcus Allen IMO. He did that shit to his own detriment. The Defense on that club was tremendous. The Skins were a record breaking offensive team, and the Raiders SHUT THEM DOWN

I remember making my first real money bet with a friend who was a Redskins fan. He was talking all kinds of stuff and was certain the Raiders would win. We bet $5. Just before the half, Howie Long in the QB's face and Jack Squirek picks off Joe Theisman for a TD the other way. It was in that moment I knew they won. I still have that $5 bill with the score written on it.

A bit off topic, but one of the best statements I've ever heard was before the Super Bowl with Philadelphia. A commentator on the field, "There are only 4 men in the world faster than Cliff Branch . . . none of them play for Philadelphia."

Don't worry if the horse is blind, just load the wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vioraider View Post
    Man... I had forgotten about Plunkett being benched. The Defense was the key that season. It was a GREAT group. I LOVE that team. Al really FUCKED Marcus Allen IMO. He did that shit to his own detriment. The Defense on that club was tremendous. The Skins were a record breaking offensive team, and the Raiders SHUT THEM DOWN
    The Skins beat us by 2, in DC during the regular season.....then in November, we picked up Mike Haynes, a 2nd shutdown corner is worth 31 points? Yep, Marcus got close to 600 all purpose yards in that 3 game postseason run, probably has to be one of the historical postseason performances in one year.