Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Reggie I trust!

In Reggie I trust!

Good day to you Nation! I've been asked a few times now why I still include Reggie's name in a person I trust at the end of each of my threads, even though the great man isn't employed with us anymore. I wanted to address this when Reggie and the Raiders parted ways, but we were still in the midst of the season, and the tasks at hand were all about finishing up the games we still had on our schedule. Now that the dust has settled to a degree, it's time to thank Reggie McKenzie and praise him as well for the great work he did with the Raiders in the 7 years he was with us.

For starters, let's look at what Reggie inherited and how Reggie left the place for Mike Mayock and Jon 'Chucky' Gruden to go win us rings now! It's no secret Reggie McKenzie walked into the worse situation in the history of football when he took over the Raiders back in 2012. We were worse off than an expansion team. We were over 30 million dollars over the salary cap, we had 2 draft picks going into the 2012 NFL draft (4th and 5th rounders), the roster was lacking talent at several position groups, and there were several 'out of whack contracts' that had to be dealt with. There were missing draft picks in future drafts as well, traded away by people not named Reggie McKenzie.

Under these circumstances, no coach with a reputation wanted the gig, because they knew they weren't going to be able to win under these circumstances until years down the road. So while Reggie did the best he could with limited resources, and an impatient Raider Nation who weren't smart enough to see what was going on here, he took the heat from all those who said he sucked and wanted him fired, and continued to roll up his sleeves and go to work!

Reggie and Mark both wanted Chucky and or Harbaugh after Tony Sparano finished out the year, and when they couldn't get either of these two elite coaches, they settled for the next next option in Jack Del Rio. Reggie took chicken shit and turned it into chicken salad, winning NFL executive of the year, and damn sure had a chance to be Super Bowl champs that year had our MVP candidate not broke his ankle in week 16.

With Chucky on board, Reggie's role changed and with Gruden getting final say in all matters, Reggie actually became over qualified for the position. The GM position with the Raiders now essentially is a glorified scout and recruiter of free agent talent. So to go from calling all the shots to this, Reggie wasn't a fit anymore.

So the trust comes from what Reggie inherited, to how he is leaving it in a much better place than how he found it. Again he came into the Raiders with 30 million over the cap and 28 million in dead money. 2 draft picks to work with in his first draft, and missing picks in future drafts. Reggie leaves Chucky and Mike Mayock with somewhere around 80 million to play with in free agency, 5 first round draft picks and the most draft capital in the NFL. There is only about 1.4 million in dead money, and most all current contracts are structured where we can get out from underneath them without any cap penalty moving forward. Reggie leaves us with a seasoned legit young franchise QB who will end up being the best QB the Raiders have ever had! And to those still banging the drum that Carr will be traded, if so it would take a kings ransom, and Reggie would be leaving Chucky and Mayock another valuable chess piece to play with. IMO Carr isn't going anywhere and will be the guy that leads us to our destiny and that is becoming a modern day dynasty!

The table is set for Chucky and Mike Mayock to go win us rings now. And as good as Chucky and Mike Mayock are, had they walked into the mess that Reggie walked into in 2012, I'm afraid it would have been similar results.

So when we do hoist that trophy over our heads in the not so distant future, Reggie McKenzie will deserve a great deal of credit for that championship trophy, and Mark Davis will have a Super Bowl ring in the mail for the man who set the table in order for us to get there, and that man in none other than Reggie McKenzie!

Reggie deserves praise, gratitude, and a huge thank you from everyone in the Raider Nation, because again, with how he has set up Chucky and Mike Mayock to now go win us rings is just outstanding and invaluable!

Let me be the first to say Thank you Reggie McKenzie! You are a great man who deserves all the respect and credit you deserve! Thank you for leaving our franchise in incredible shape, shape that will no doubt be a huge factor in the Raiders winning Super Bowls! Notice the s at the end of the word bowl?

Be good and talk soon Nation!

Go Raiders and in Reggie, Mark, Chucky, and Mike Mayock I trust!
    Last edited by F.I.B. Savior; 01-09-2019 at 04:42 AM.

Reggie was a terrible GM. He wasted 100's of millions on free agents by overpaying marginal talent. He tried to build a team threw free agency because most of his draft picks failed. He lived off the success of his one draft. A team in a rebuild he traded away draft picks for QB's, Shaub and Flynn, that were going to be released. Traded up inhale draft for Connor Cook. 4/5 draft picks for those three players. That could of been 1 starter. Terrible draft choice of Obi, Jihad, MEJ, Watson. All second rounders that flopped. And overpaying his one third rounder an absurd amount of money. Who has 2 of the highest paid guards inter league. We picked up a guard of the street the last couple weeks of the season and he played as well as either overpaid tackles, And when he had an asset, he traded it away for a bag of ball...Carson Palmer. He did not get fair value for ONE trade that he made. Every trade down, he got less value. I would include him on these last deals in the draft. The mastermind for get Martaviuos Bryant and the 50 cents on a dollar trade down. Reggie was a disaster and should never be given chance to make decision again. Maybe only three teams. Chargers, Broncos, or Chiefs. So they can be seller dwellers like the mess he created with the Raiders
    Last edited by psly2124; 01-09-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    Reggie was a terrible GM. He wasted 100's of millions on free agents by overpaying marginal talent. He tried to build a team threw free agency because most of his draft picks failed. He lived off the success of his one draft. A team in a rebuild he traded away draft picks for QB's, Shaub and Flynn, that were going to be released. Traded up inhale draft for Connor Cook. 4/5 draft picks for those three players. That could of been 1 starter. And when he had an asset, he traded it away for a bag of ball...Carson Palmer. He did not get fair value for ONE trade that he made. Every trade down, he got less value. I would include him on these last deals in the draft. The mastermind for get Martaviuos Bryant and the 50 cents on a dollar trade down. Reggie was a disaster and should never be given chance to make decision again. Maybe only three teams. Chargers, Broncos, or Chiefs. So they can be seller dwellers like the mess he created with the Raiders
    Disasters don't win Executive of the year awards. Disasters don't take the worst situation in league history and leave it as one of the best. Ând you have no idea what was offered in any of these trade down scenarios. We had no second rounder in 2013. Teams knew he wanted to trade down for more picks. What Miami offered was the best offer that came in. So I suppose we turn down the trade from Miami when were lacking picks because it didn't fit the outdated draft value chart? Come on man. Get it together!

Quote Originally Posted by F.I.B. Savior View Post
    Disasters don't win Executive of the year awards. Disasters don't take the worst situation in league history and leave it as one of the best. Ând you have no idea what was offered in any of these trade down scenarios. We had no second rounder in 2013. Teams knew he wanted to trade down for more picks. What Miami offered was the best offer that came in. So I suppose we turn down the trade from Miami when were lacking picks because it didn't fit the outdated draft value chart? Come on man. Get it together!

It's funny you bring up the Dolphins trade where we got the second rounder. I thought that was fine. It's the disasters that he drafted that made it terrible. I don't care what Reggie says or anyone that you find that supports the DJ Hayden pick. It wasn't known if he would ever play football again. Is that a risk a team that is in a total rebuild does? For a team with little to no talent, Reggie found next to nothing in his first 2 drafts. I don't care if he didn't have a 1 or a 2. The teams lacked talent and he found none. Your had a blind trust of Reggie, because you need to support him because you trust him enough to put him in your tag line. Look at the millions wasted on the like of Sean Smith, David Amerson, Mike Breisel, Juston Tuck, Lamar Woodley, MJD,Malcolm Smith, Curtis Lofton, Marcus Webb,Christian Ponder, Aldon Smith. The list is long. They were all disasters. So he creates a team with zero talent, then signs over the hill free agents to ridiculous contracts who have nothing left in the tank. Still the team has zero talent. How about overpaying for solid players like KO and Bruce Irvin, paying more then anyone would ever pay them. Yes KO played at a bowl level for 11 million a year for a GUARD. Let that sink in a Guard. Then resign Gabe Jackson to almost the same contact. That was insane. While letting a player who makes 1/10 Steve Wisniewski walk away without an offer. And Wisnieswki has started for the best line in football...the Eagles the past couple years. Letting Mike Mitchell walk away without an offer to sign with another team for $1 million 1 year deal. Lorenzo Alexander. These weren't big ticket free agents. These guys were looking for next to nothing. He's actually carved out a pretty good career even making the pro bowl.
    Last edited by psly2124; 01-09-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Curtis Lofton $10 million .
    Mike Breisel $11 million
    Sean Smith $20.5 million
    David Amerson $12.7 million
    Justin Tuck 10 million
    Lamar Woodley 5 million
    Malcolm Smith 9 million
    Christian Ponder $1.5 million for camp
    Matt Schaub 8 Million
    Matt Flynn 6.5 million 1 game
    Bruce Irvin 28 million
    Austin Howard 20 million.
    Aldon Smith 9 million
    And people bithc and complain about Gruden signing a vet for the league minimum. Reggie was running around like a drunken sailor throwing money at anyone who would grab it. All money well spent in your opinion. Because the contacts created no dead money. Well cash is cash and not one of these deals when signed did anyone say, that's a good deal. If I were Mark Davis this bum would of been fired years ago. Zero accountability on his part. Well Reggie could get a job in Washington DC, not the team in government, he would fit right in with wasting money.
    Last edited by psly2124; 01-09-2019 at 07:58 AM.

My big thing with Reggie has been this habit of thinking he's in Green Bay still, Green Bay for years drafted a kid like Jordy Nelson, knew he would sit for a couple years, let him special teams it and be the 5th WR. By Year 3 or 4, when the starter in front of Nelson is a free agent, Nelson is ready to start, free agent leaves, you have a starter on a rookie deal for a year or 2. Great, when you have an NFL caliber starter in front of him. But when you draft for a team that cannot field 22 NFL caliber starters, why are you still drafting kids, who supposedly have high ceilings, but need the experience to achieve it? We could not afford to wait on guys like Menelik Watson, Jihad Ward to sit and gain experience. We waited and waited and waited. In the Watson draft, we left Leveon, Hankins, Swearinger, Kiko Alonso on the board, sure it's a crap shoot, but when you knowingly draft kid who lacks experience, that's a red flag. Same thing happened again with Jihad Ward, this is a kid who played offense in high school and only played the DL for what 2-3 years, needed to gain experience to reach a high ceiling Reggie had projected for him, Derrick Henry was drafted spot after Ward.
    Reggie was disciplined in his contract, only guaranteeing the first year and depending on the tier of the free agent part of the 2nd year salary, steering clear of any signing bonuses, that was and is still huge for us as we sit on 75 million in cap space. Another Reggie was well versed in picking up UDFA's. Denico Autry was a huge find, now Erik Harris has a chance to be a starting safety, so Reggie was well trained in his areas of expertise in Green Bay, but if he just got into the ideal, that we needed players to play Day 1, we might be slightly better.

Disasters don't win Executive of the year awards. Disasters don't take the worst situation in league history and leave it as one of the best. Ă‚nd you have no idea what was offered in any of these trade down scenarios. We had no second rounder in 2013. Teams knew he wanted to trade down for more picks. What Miami offered was the best offer that came in. So I suppose we turn down the trade from Miami when were lacking picks because it didn't fit the outdated draft value chart? Come on man. Get it together!

It's funny, Bill Belichick doesn't seem to have this issue. Dude comes out ahead in every trade he makes. Just last year, dude traded a 1st for Brandin Cooks, got a year's service out of him, then traded him for an even higher 1st rd pick.

When Reggie makes a trade, dude never ever comes out ahead. It's like he's scared to ask for more.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    It's funny you bring up the Dolphins trade where we got the second rounder. I thought that was fine. It's the disasters that he drafted that made it terrible. I don't care what Reggie says or anyone that you find that supports the DJ Hayden pick. It wasn't known if he would ever play football again. Is that a risk a team that is in a total rebuild does? For a team with little to no talent, Reggie found next to nothing in his first 2 drafts. I don't care if he didn't have a 1 or a 2. The teams lacked talent and he found none. Your had a blind trust of Reggie, because you need to support him because you trust him enough to put him in your tag line. Look at the millions wasted on the like of Sean Smith, David Amerson, Mike Breisel, Juston Tuck, Lamar Woodley, MJD,Malcolm Smith, Curtis Lofton, Marcus Webb,Christian Ponder, Aldon Smith. The list is long. They were all disasters. So he creates a team with zero talent, then signs over the hill free agents to ridiculous contracts who have nothing left in the tank. Still the team has zero talent. How about overpaying for solid players like KO and Bruce Irvin, paying more then anyone would ever pay them. Yes KO played at a bowl level for 11 million a year for a GUARD. Let that sink in a Guard. Then resign Gabe Jackson to almost the same contact. That was insane. While letting a player who makes 1/10 Steve Wisniewski walk away without an offer. And Wisnieswki has started for the best line in football...the Eagles the past couple years. Letting Mike Mitchell walk away without an offer to sign with another team for $1 million 1 year deal. Lorenzo Alexander. These weren't big ticket free agents. These guys were looking for next to nothing. He's actually carved out a pretty good career even making the pro bowl.
    Look up Zeitler's contract with the Browns and Norvelle with the Jags and you will see KO's contract was more than fair for the most dominant guard in the league when healthy. KO is actually a bargain compared to these guys.

Hayden got paid last year in Jacksonville, receiving 9.5 guaranteed. If he sucks as bad as you say he does, no way is he even playing, let alone getting paid.

Malcolm Smith got paid in SF too. So most of your numbers and arguments don't hold much merit or weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidermackin View Post
    It's funny, Bill Belichick doesn't seem to have this issue. Dude comes out ahead in every trade he makes. Just last year, dude traded a 1st for Brandin Cooks, got a year's service out of him, then traded him for an even higher 1st rd pick.

When Reggie makes a trade, dude never ever comes out ahead. It's like he's scared to ask for more.
    Every GM has his misses. NE has had many. Here's a couple from recent history.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ly-to-patriots

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ding-september

Look up Zeitler's contract with the Browns and Norvelle with the Jags and you will see KO's contract was more than fair for the most dominant guard in the league when healthy. KO is actually a bargain compared to these guys.

Hayden got paid last year in Jacksonville, receiving 9.5 guaranteed. If he sucks as bad as you say he does, no way is he even playing, let alone getting paid.

Malcolm Smith got paid in SF too. So most of your numbers and arguments don't hold much merit or weight.

My arguments hold weight. I don't care what players got after they left. They were cut for lack of performance on the field. Example Malcolm Smith, that contract that he signed was a a Reggie type contract. And was has he done for the 9erws. Zip. Hayden is a nickel corner who also must have a fantastic agent. Back to the KO argument. YOU DONT PAY GUARD 11 MILLION A YEAR. YOU DONT PAY GUARDS MORE THEN TACKLES. YOU DONT SIGN 2 GUARDS to 11 MILLION A YEAR CONTRACTS. You point to the Browns and Jaguars and stable organization that paid guards an obsurd amount of money. Let me rephrase that the JAGUARS and BROWNS signed guards to contacts close to KO, the reason those franchises have sucked for over a decade are decisions like that. Terrible decisions that Reggie did twice.