Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Raider Free Agent Targets

Let Mayock and Chucky do their due diligence and properly scout this years crop before proclaiming there are no elite offensive weapons to be had. There's players out there that weren't in the right scheme fits, others who might have been injured and not been able to perform last year, others who just need to be coached up to reach their true potential, ect ect ect.

Take Donkey's RB Phillip Lyndsay as a prime example. The kid wasn't even invited to the combine last year. He goes un-drafted then makes the pro-bowl. We should all be confident to know Mike Mayock will leave no stone uncovered, every door will be opened, and every corner will be looked around to find us elite talent in every round of the draft and even the un-drafted players who slip through the cracks!

Go Raiders and in Reggie, Mark, Chucky, and Mike Mayock I trust!

I like the two top safeties on your board.

Quote Originally Posted by F.I.B. Savior View Post
    Let Mayock and Chucky do their due diligence and properly scout this years crop before proclaiming there are no elite offensive weapons to be had. There's players out there that weren't in the right scheme fits, others who might have been injured and not been able to perform last year, others who just need to be coached up to reach their true potential, ect ect ect.

Take Donkey's RB Phillip Lyndsay as a prime example. The kid wasn't even invited to the combine last year. He goes un-drafted then makes the pro-bowl. We should all be confident to know Mike Mayock will leave no stone uncovered, every door will be opened, and every corner will be looked around to find us elite talent in every round of the draft and even the un-drafted players who slip through the cracks!

Go Raiders and in Reggie, Mark, Chucky, and Mike Mayock I trust!
    By the end of the year, personnel wise we were decimated, no legit WR, rookie tackles, but we played our best ball the last third, quarter of the year. We were running 4 TE's out there and Lee friggin Smith of all people caught 3 TDs in that stretch. Gruden is proving scheme wise he hasn't lost a thing. Now if he can get the personnel that can get on the same page, offensively, we can battle anyone. The tackles should get better with a year of experience and offseason under their belt. Defensively we have to invest some money in getting a veteran leader in here....CJ Mosley, someone that can hold everyone on defense accountable for their responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    By the end of the year, personnel wise we were decimated, no legit WR, rookie tackles, but we played our best ball the last third, quarter of the year. We were running 4 TE's out there and Lee friggin Smith of all people caught 3 TDs in that stretch. Gruden is proving scheme wise he hasn't lost a thing. Now if he can get the personnel that can get on the same page, offensively, we can battle anyone. The tackles should get better with a year of experience and offseason under their belt. Defensively we have to invest some money in getting a veteran leader in here....CJ Mosley, someone that can hold everyone on defense accountable for their responsibilities.
    Would love CJ Mosely, I just don't think the Raiders are going to spend money until they get to Vegas. Davis is strapped for cash, with ht move to Vegas he will have access to a lot more money.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    Yep nice list but gotta wait until the draft is over to even start thinking about this.
    why, free agency is before the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by EricAllen21 View Post
    add lev bell and cj moseley

Quote Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post
    add lev bell and cj moseley
    About 2/3 of the players we want are going to be resigned by their own teams. Smart teams don't let talent walk out the door. This list will look a lot different once FA actually begins.

Quote Originally Posted by EricAllen21 View Post
    Why would I wait? Because there is the combine and the senior bowl and FA only starts a month or so before the draft. I also wouldn't be thinking about big splash FAs this year. Doing so would also tip your hand as to who the team will be "not likely" to covet in the draft. Also many on that list will be resigned.
    I was trying to say 'I' would have to wait. We do this every year on this board and while it's fun to go window shopping, I'd need a clearer view of what direction the Raiders are going in.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    Why would I wait? Because there is the combine and the senior bowl and FA only starts a month or so before the draft. I also wouldn't be thinking about big splash FAs this year. Doing so would also tip your hand as to who the team will be "not likely" to covet in the draft. Also many on that list will be resigned.
    I was trying to say 'I' would have to wait. We do this every year on this board and while it's fun to go window shopping, I'd need a clearer view of what direction the Raiders are going in.
    So you know starter wise we need a RB1, WR1, WR3, TE, RT, DE, MLB, S. That's about 8 slots to fill.

We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, doubtful you find Year 1 starters in rounds 4-7. There is no way we will fill the starter holes entirely via the draft. Mayock and Gruden would be stupid to ignore Free agency until after the draft, which is happening April 25. So you allow 31 clubs to sign free agents for about 6 weeks, new league year starts on March 13....just so we don't tip our draft needs?

Fundamentally you want to patch holes via free agency, you want to lay your foundation through the draft. That is ideal. Players you pick in the draft should be the BPA. Now should we go QB in the first 2-3 rounds, no, because we have Carr. So there will be positional exceptions.

Just to give you an idea, Breno Giacomini was signed on March 22, well before the draft. That is the free agent leftover we have to look forward to if we wait until after the draft to sign free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderjohn622 View Post
    So you know starter wise we need a RB1, WR1, WR3, TE, RT, DE, MLB, S. That's about 8 slots to fill.

We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, doubtful you find Year 1 starters in rounds 4-7. There is no way we will fill the starter holes entirely via the draft. Mayock and Gruden would be stupid to ignore Free agency until after the draft, which is happening April 25. So you allow 31 clubs to sign free agents for about 6 weeks, new league year starts on March 13....just so we don't tip our draft needs?

Fundamentally you want to patch holes via free agency, you want to lay your foundation through the draft. That is ideal. Players you pick in the draft should be the BPA. Now should we go QB in the first 2-3 rounds, no, because we have Carr. So there will be positional exceptions.

Just to give you an idea, Breno Giacomini was signed on March 22, well before the draft. That is the free agent leftover we have to look forward to if we wait until after the draft to sign free agents.
    To go by your list of needs:
    RB1 - meh, IMO RB's are the product of the system unless you are someone like Marcus Allen or Bo Jackson. Non of those types on that list.
    WR1 - You're going to have to trade for one or hope you can make one of those guys #1.
    WR3 - We already have a couple. Draft another in the 4-5th round.
    TE - Either resign Cook or draft that guy Bass is high on Fant in the second or draft Okwegbunamm (?)
    DE - Draft one. Bosa, Miller. And then another later. No way is Gruden going to look like an idiot after trading Mack and having to pay a steep price for another lesser player. Use the first over all pick on this position.
    RT - Havent been able to find a decent one since Lincoln Kennedy so I have little faith in either FA or the draft on this one.
    MLB - Draft one. I could make a case for going after Mosley though.
    S - Draft one and could make a case for going after Clinton Dix too if the price is not too high.

I agree with you. Build the foundation through the draft then plug in holes with FA. Paying high prices for FA is what teams should do if they are looking for a couple extra pieces to complete a championship run. A 4-12 team is not going to turn into a 12-4 team by spending $$ in FA. And the only reason I said I would consider Mosely and Dix is because the Raiders don't seem to pay much attention to those positions since they went out and signed Rod Woodson to complete a run for a title.
    Last edited by rawhead; 01-10-2019 at 05:40 PM.