Thread: Raiders fire director of player personnel Joey Clinkscales

Raiders fire director of player personnel Joey Clinkscales

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...cales-1564153/
    ALAMEDA, Calif. — The Raiders have dismissed director of player personnel Joey Clinkscales, a close confidant to former general manager Reggie McKenzie, people familiar with the decision said Wednesday.

Front-office changes were considered inevitable following Monday’s hiring of general manager Mike Mayock. A quick decision on Clinkscales was anticipated, given his senior position and ties with McKenzie. The two grew up together in Tenneseee where they were football teammates in high school and college.

No other front-office firings are known at this time.

Over the coming months, Mayock is expected to surround himself with voices he trusts as McKenzie did Clinkscales. Whether he already has hired a No. 2 is not known.

“I have 15 years worth of names,” Mayock said Monday during his introductory news conference. “I think anybody on the coaching side or the personnel side that ever wanted to be in this industry always has kind of a ready list. I have that. I have a lot of guys that I respect, but the most important thing is to respect the guys that are here first.

“We have four months to get after it with the guys that are in this building, and we’re going to do it. At that point we can evaluate.”

Typically, NFL teams wait until the draft concludes in late April before finalizing changes to their personnel department.

The Raiders are expected to follow that same general approach .

For example, Raleigh McKenzie, Reggie’s twin brother, is a scout with the Raiders. As of Wednesday, his status with the organization has not changed, a source said. While the team’s internal thinking in specific regard to Raleigh isn’t clear, its preference is to defer such decisions until after the draft. So, Raleigh will continue to work under a new-look department until told otherwise.

“This is a tough time right now, obviously, for our scouts,” coach Jon Gruden said Monday. “I want to assure you that (director of college scouting) Shaun Herock is excellent at what he’s done. I have a lot of confidence in his history here and the scouts that we do have. Mike is going to evaluate them. We’re going to give them every opportunity to continue to be a part of this.

“I don’t foresee any changes, but I do think Mike is going to talk to a lot of people. If he finds somebody out there that can come in and have the same vision that we have, we’re going to jump on the table to get that guy in here. We’re going to lead the league in effort. I will not make any other promises than that. Mayock and I will be committed to work together. We’re going to be passionate about what we do. We’re going to be loyal to one another and we’re going to lead the league in effort. And if we don’t, I want the want to meet the two that beats us in that.”

Raiders owner Mark Davis said the club held “five or six intensive interviews” with different GM candidates before hiring Mayock.

He declined to name names, citing “a good chance that we may be hiring them to augment our staff.”

ESPN first reported Clinkscales’ dismissal.

Does Mayock look into any of his NFL network people to work under him?
    What about former NFL scout and top NFL network draft/NFL guru Daniel Jeremiah in some role?

Happy he got fired. Pure Nepotism on Reggie's part. He hires his best friend and brother. His brother was caught sleeping during the combine. No accountability for 7 years. Clean house should be the moto.

Quote Originally Posted by psly2124 View Post
    Happy he got fired. Pure Nepotism on Reggie's part. He hires his best friend and brother. His brother was caught sleeping during the combine. No accountability for 7 years. Clean house should be the moto.
    Joey has a ton of experience and has interviewed for GM jobs before. All GM surround themselves with people they trust. Reggie hiring him was a solid understandable move.

As for his brother falling asleep, have you been to the combine? I have and it is boring as hell. There are a lit of people who doze off. It really isnt that important in thw deaft proxess. Probably the most important paet is the interviews followed by the physicals.

That true; combine are boring...I bet he was not the first guy to fall asleep at a combine...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRaider View Post
    That true; combine are boring...I bet he was not the first guy to fall asleep at a combine...
    I don't care how boring it is. He fell asleep on the job. His job is to scout the players. It's New Years, Christmas and 4th of July all rolled into one day. It's the biggest day of the offseason, not counting the draft itself. It wasn't taking place on 3 in the morning. If his brother wasn't the GM, he would of been given a pink sleep the following day.

louis riddick should be on this list

we need a lot of guys who know what their looking at with draft prospects finding gems late in the draft can make or break your roster

Quote Originally Posted by Pitzrrr View Post
    Does Mayock look into any of his NFL network people to work under him?
    What about former NFL scout and top NFL network draft/NFL guru Daniel Jeremiah in some role?
    I would think he brings in a guy with some NFL experience, not just a TV guy. Given his job duties, he's rubbed shoulders with all 32 teams and their staffs. So it really could be anyone.

Expected move...
    Follow me on Twitter: BobCarrNFL
    Follow me on Instagram: BobCarrNFL