Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two plays that told me all I need to know about Carr

Two plays that told me all I need to know about Carr

In the fourth quarter of today's game, I saw two plays on different drives that told me all I need to know about Derek Carr, whether he's the franchise QB for this team or if we should move on from him after the season.

Third and long in the fourth quarter.
    Carr steps up into the pocket and could easily hold the ball for a second or two longer to give his receivers a chance to get open for a bigger play. Carr checks down to a receiver and gains about 5 yards on the pass. Now we're facing fourth down.

Fourth down in the fourth quarter.
    Carr's primary receiver, Jalen Richard, is covered. Carr simply throws the ball at Richard's feet for an incomplete pass, turning the ball over on downs.

I'm thinking to myself. The first play shows me that he doesn't have great pocket awareness, and the second play tells me that he would rather NOT take a sack than risk making a play that could create a first down and possibly get hit in the process.

I'm sorry. Even in sandlot football, a decent QB will not throw the ball away on fourth down unless he is in the grasp of another player.

It's time to move on from Carr. Give me a player who has some guts, who desperately wants to win and isn't afraid to take a hit in order to do so.
    Last edited by raiderman41; 11-11-2018 at 02:50 PM.

I didn't want to but now I believe we have to. If we end up 1-15, which I believe we will, we should try and trade him before the draft. He has zero pocket awareness and he always checks down. Franchise QB' s don't lead a team to a 1-15 record in their 5th year. Good franchise QB's should be good for at least 3-4 wins a year and we are getting dick from the QB position

Who are they going to get to replace him?

Why do people keep asking this like it's a valid response to the issue at hand? We aren't paid to replace Carr. Gruden is.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    Why do people keep asking this like it's a valid response to the issue at hand? We aren't paid to replace Carr. Gruden is.
    As is getting rid of Carr in the first place. Carr hasn't been the same since getting injured on more than one occasion, its up to Gruden to see if Carr can get past this obstacle. Carr could very well be following orders and not trying to win to secure a high draft spot, who knows. Only Gruden knows whats really going on. One thing for sure is Gruden doesn't get upset at Carr on the sidelines after a bad play like he did with past QBs, what that means i don't know.

He’s getting traded to the Giants in the offseason

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderBay View Post
    He’s getting traded to the Giants in the offseason
    Hopefully for 2 1st rounders (if and only if Herbert is there). If not, MAYBE knowing that McCarron has a year in the system and can become Gannonesque OR that Gruden has the foresight to see to 2020 for a generational QB that will transform.the Raiders with 2019 going towards the youngest and most talented Defense in the league for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePantyRaider View Post
    Hopefully for 2 1st rounders (if and only if Herbert is there). If not, MAYBE knowing that McCarron has a year in the system and can become Gannonesque OR that Gruden has the foresight to see to 2020 for a generational QB that will transform.the Raiders with 2019 going towards the youngest and most talented Defense in the league for years to come.
    Its a pipe dream but if done right, will be the Raiders NFL for years to come....

Sadly I've felt this way for awhile. Asking who replaces him isn't a valid response. Keeping a bad qb simply because we don't knows what's out there is stupid. There may be something in the draft, a trade or our current backup. This team is fascinated and these losses are trading the heart out of the locker room. We will have to open up the checkbook t.o get the eight free agents in at key spots. Wr need offensive and defensive line help, receivers, secondary aaand linebackers as well as a running back to replace lynch. There are options out there but are they going to want play one year in Oakland before the move to Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by DARAIDAHS View Post
    As is getting rid of Carr in the first place. Carr hasn't been the same since getting injured on more than one occasion, its up to Gruden to see if Carr can get past this obstacle. Carr could very well be following orders and not trying to win to secure a high draft spot, who knows. Only Gruden knows whats really going on. One thing for sure is Gruden doesn't get upset at Carr on the sidelines after a bad play like he did with past QBs, what that means i don't know.
    I don't know. Gruden has that weird attempt at a stoic look on his face whenever a drive fails miserably when Carr can't make something happen. He doesn't say anything or even look at Carr as he runs by him. He just has a look where he looks like he's stewing and about to blow a gasket at any moment but is just barely keeping it together.