Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raiders Defense - What if?

Raiders Defense - What if?

In following the reports, news etc and thinking about this defense I'm looking at the glass half full and wondering, what if?

- What if Mo Hurst does end up becoming that disruptive pass rushing 3-tech he showed he has the talent to become?
    - What if PJ Hall does end up becoming that bull rushing beast he has shown flashes of in camp?
    - What if MEJ finally provides depth and interior pocket collapsing ability?
    - What if Ellis continues to provide a big body and run stuffing inside?
    - What if Mack does comes back and continues to dominate blockers and runners as the best EDGE player in the NFL?
    - What if Irvin goes off on QB's playing back at his natural position opposite Mack?
    - What if Key stays in shape and comes in as a complimentary speed rusher worthy of a top 15 pick his talent projected him to be?
    - What if Conley stays healthy and earns his starting CB role?
    - What if Melvin continues to play the way he did last season?
    - What if Joseph excels in a defense that will ask him to play to his strengths for once?
    - What if Worley grows up and stays out of trouble locking down the nickelback role?
    - What if Lee stays healthy and earns that starting ILB starting job as a solid 2-down 'backer?
    - What if Whitehead provides the downfield tackling and ball-hawking production he's capable of?

Finally....

- What if Guenther does for us on defense what Zimmer did in Minnesota?

I'm not even talking about players exceeding their potential, only meeting it. Honestly, the implications of this really coming together is huge, not just for the defense but everything. Imagine going into the next off-season with everything above happening and becoming reality for this defense. The implications of the flexibility in the draft and in FA is immense. What will we be saying about Reggie and Jon then? Will the media continue to scoff at the "$100m contract" like it's some joke from 1998? Don't think so. Not one bit.

Realistically, of course not everything is likely to work out that way, but....what if?

Was really impressed with Guenther, how he mixed things up with blitzes, stunts and different looks tonight.
    Follow me on Twitter: BobCarrNFL
    Follow me on Instagram: BobCarrNFL

Then the Raiders would have the #1 defense in the league. But you could say that about any team players.

I don't know about being the best in the league, but I would be shocked if the defense didn't show improvement over last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkr View Post
    I don't know about being the best in the league, but I would be shocked if the defense didn't show improvement over last season.
    it will show improvement. I was just commenting on Crizpy's post of "What if's". If those happen, the Raiders would have the best D in the league. Any team would. "What if Von Miller had 20 sacks a game?" "What if Xavier Rhodes has 20 interceptions each game?"

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    it will show improvement. I was just commenting on Crizpy's post of "What if's". If those happen, the Raiders would have the best D in the league. Any team would. "What if Von Miller had 20 sacks a game?" "What if Xavier Rhodes has 20 interceptions each game?"
    His “what if’s” were not over the top. He even said they weren’t exceeding expectations, just meeting them.
    Like Conley simply staying healthy. Not What if Conley has 20 INTs!

Ellis continues to do well run stuffing, not something crazy like Ellis leads the league in sacks!

These are simple achievements that CAN happen.
    With this coaching staff, and the upgraded talent, a lot of those players could achieve those “expectations met” goals. Some won’t, injuries will happen and be out, or will be out there at %60 playing below average.
    But if most do? We could be a top 10 defense. If we escape the injury bug and ALOT of those happen? We could be a top 5 defense.

Again, with this upgraded staff plus updated roster, we could realistically go from #23 D to the top 10.
    most everything go our way? Top 5.
    I mean come on... Irvin - Hall - Hurst - Mack getting after the QB? ...and we actually have depth? Mack gets some rest to stay fresh!? Huge year! It’s gunna be yuge!
    Last edited by Pitzrrr; 08-11-2018 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitzrrr View Post
    His “what if’s” were not over the top. He even said they weren’t exceeding expectations, just meeting them.
    When ever have expectations ever panned out for any team? Bills "what if EJ manuel becomes the GOAT?" Instead of a third stringer on the Raiders. Kurt warner went undrafted. Now in the HOF. Meeting who's expectations? Reality has to play some part.

PJ Hall certainly has shown his potential in the Lions game! His first snap I had my eyes just on him the whole way and boy did he pump me up

I also saw Hurst have some pressures. Just a matter of time before he starts making some big plays.

Its a lot of What If's and if just half or say 7 of them came through it'd be a better defense then it was last year, but that's not saying a lot. There are also back up What If's should some of these not work out. He provided 13 but there are another 4 or 5 players that could contribute "IF" they excel in the weeks ahead.

Optimism is more fun then the opposite. After so many years of the opposite its tough.

remember watching the defense the last few years during the preseason and see how shit they were? Well, didn't see that last night. Remember everyone making excuses for the defense the last few preseasons saying it was the preseason and not to worry? Well, no excuses last night. This may be a good sign.