Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Cable Tough Approach To Raiders OL A Contrast From Mike Tice Babying Guys

Senior Member RaiderNationPaul68's Avatar

Tom Cable Tough Approach To Raiders OL A Contrast From Mike Tice Babying Guys

Wasn’t it Tice that was crying at the end of last year saying that guys “don’t want to be coached anymore”? Sounds to me like the opposite... maybe Tice was not good enough at knowing how to get these guys to buy in to his “coaching”

The line wasn't exactly the problem under Tice.

When things aren't going well, you reach for excuses. It's one thing to have talent, but to mesh it and make it cohesive is another thing, we had no problem in 2016.....maybe Musgrave kicked Tice's ass to get those guys up to speed....then Downing takes over, less demanding, every coach wants to be the star players buddies. At the end of the day, there was a lot of off field stuff going on with the coaching staff regarding Musgrave, JDR, Tice that should not have happened. Things changed when Musgrave moved on.

Cable by testing these guy's listening skills, don't trust them as much as Tice did....remember the Jamarcus blank DVD homework? Cable probably has had guys say they got it, but didn't really, so he's had to test the players to make sure they got it....because honestly if you don't got it....and the 25 million dollar man is out for weeks.....you can toss the season down the toilet. Getting details down now is huge going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
    The line wasn't exactly the problem under Tice.
    Yeah you’re right... they were GREAT last year. My mistake. Should’ve retained him. Terrific coach. Whatever man.

Quote Originally Posted by Vioraider View Post
    Yeah you’re right... they were GREAT last year. My mistake. Should’ve retained him. Terrific coach. Whatever man.
    LOL. I'm sure Tice turned down dozens of coaching offers since the Raiders didn't retain him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vioraider View Post
    They were a good line last year if you look at their metrics. Downing's play calling didn't help anybody or make anybody look great. You seem touched.

Rodney Hudson had a 99.6 pass blocking efficiency last season. #1 center in the league for instance.

I agree that our line wasn't the issue last year, to a degree. They were a decent PB group, but the ZBS schemes for the run game absolutely sucked! Tice probably became a bit frustrated with that. Instead of calling a spade a spade and admitting that Downing was the main problem, he ended up throwing the players under the bus and thus lost the group when it came to coaching. Just my try at throwing a dart blind folded... IE.. nobody really knows exactly..

I agree with that. Downing is his friend and he's the one who hyped up Downing in the first place. Musgrave's inside zone run plays were great for this line but the overall ZBS plays without the use of play action, FBs, and/or extra blockers was a disaster with Downing. The scheme and plays rarely called for this type of help blocking.