Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: McFadden frustrated with self, play call

Hall of Famer

McFadden frustrated with self, play call

ALAMEDA -- It was as out-of-character an outburst as it was demonstrative.

Darren McFadden, who no doubt has had a frustrating season, jumped up out of the pile, ripped his helmet off, screamed a few choice words to no one in particular and stormed off the field before plopping himself onto the Raiders bench. He was later approached and calmed down by fullback Marcel Reece and running backs coach Kelly Skipper.

read more: McFadden frustrated with self, play call | CSN Bay Area
    ""My expectations are, I want to be the defensive rookie of the year. That's what I'm going to hold myself to while I'm out there on the field working and remember that while I'm out there working hard."
    ~ Khalil Mack at training camp.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    I like the fact he's emotional about being stuffed. He SHOULD be pissed.

I'm sure there are differing opinions on this, but while I do agree you SHOULD be able to run up the middle for a yard on ANY given play, I'm not sure he's proven the ability to do so this year. Or really any?? His forte has been in the open field, as indicated in the article. Last year, perhaps he had more "open" field with a different line and scheme, but for whatever reason, it seems the only luck he's having this year getting anything open has been on the outside.

So I don't necessarily agree with him that with this running back and this line and this scheme, running it up the gut would have had a better shot at producing a first down, sadly.

(edit) and THANKS Smash!! (/edit)

Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Rightfully so.
    Naphtali likes this.

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Why not go in a straight line. Its the shortest distance between two points.

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
    The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
    The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
    A. A. Milne

MDR8ERFAN is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ottomatic1 View Post
    Not if theres a person between you and that point. Which seems to be the case most of the time.
    MileHighRaider likes this.

Murphys Law is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR8ERFAN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ottomatic1 View Post
    Not if theres a person between you and that point. Which seems to be the case most of the time.
    Correction: 2 players in his way. The O-lineman getting pancaked, and the defender pushing his way into the backfield.
    MileHighRaider likes this.

Okie is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Another highlight of Knapps piss poor playcalls.
    Naphtali likes this.

RadaFan is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    If this is the play call he was pissed off at, there is a nice cutback lane and one man to beat to the end zone. It is too bad he hasn't shown the ability to find the cut back lane or change direction for that matter. Check out the link credit goes to ninja goro

Darren McFadden’s 3rd-and-1 Run v Chiefs Week 15 – Ninja Goro

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RadaFan View Post
    If this is the play call he was pissed off at, there is a nice cutback lane and one man to beat to the end zone. It is too bad he hasn't shown the ability to find the cut back lane or change direction for that matter. Check out the link credit goes to ninja goro

All he had to do was cut slightly left and he had a WIDE open lane... I just don't get it. It is so many small mistakes costing us big all year. Death by a million paper cuts.
    Chiefhater and ottomatic1 like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

TokyoLA is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by guydon View Post
    All he had to do was cut slightly left and he had a WIDE open lane... I just don't get it. It is so many small mistakes costing us big all year. Death by a million paper cuts.
    I agree that DMC isn't a ZBS running back.... so why are we running ZBS plays? It's been painfully obvious he isn't a ZBS rb and yet Knapp keeps trying to force feed him and integrate DMC into something he isn't. I know the season is awash but if you think about it, DMC hasn't missed very many games this year and I feel we just wasted it with Knapp's bullheaded play calling and system. Knapp has single handily ruined DMC's trade value and season this year.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by RadaFan View Post

That's a pretty telling video, IMHO.

Sigh.

Thanks.
    ottomatic1 likes this.

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie View Post
    Another highlight of Knapps piss poor playcalls.
    Not to defend the coaches or Mcfadden, but after the blow up the Raiders faced another 3rd and 1. They ran a power play off center and Mcfadden got stuffed again. PUNT.

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that is telling...just what ive seen all year from him. Finds his blocker and tries to climb over him with holes to be found on one side or the other.

A. A. Milne

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    he needs to straighten his hips and run more ambiguously if even just for a couple steps. He runs diectly at the play, its almost like a QB staring down a reciever on a short pass or screen. everyone on the D knew he was running off right tackle that play. Whos fault it is? i dont care just fix it.

A. A. Milne

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoLA View Post
    I agree that DMC isn't a ZBS running back.... so why are we running ZBS plays? It's been painfully obvious he isn't a ZBS rb and yet Knapp keeps trying to force feed him and integrate DMC into something he isn't. I know the season is awash but if you think about it, DMC hasn't missed very many games this year and I feel we just wasted it with Knapp's bullheaded play calling and system. Knapp has single handily ruined DMC's trade value and season this year.
    I believe what's more telling is he lacks vision as a runner. The ZBS is a successful scheme and if McFadden is as elite as everyone seems to believe he is why can't he allow plays to develop properly? He's missed enough games to question his durability as a player and for a guy making that much money he's failed to produce with any consistency! Knapp hasn't ruined anyone, McFadden has been a disappointment for 5 seasons and Knapp has had nothing to do with his injuries...
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information