Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By guydon

Thread: Raiders' reported 'talks' with Gruden make little sense

Hall of Famer

Raiders' reported 'talks' with Gruden make little sense

ALAMEDA -- You knew the second that Mark Davis invited Jon Gruden back to Oakland to light the Al Davis Flame the desirous rumors would start.

And with each demoralizing loss piling up, you knew the fans' call for "Chucky" to replace rookie coach Dennis Allen would grow just as loud.

So imagine how lathered up Raider Nation is now that Pro Football Weekly's Hub Arkush told Chicago's WSCR on Tuesday that "Gruden and the Raiders are in talks to bring him back to Oakland."

read more: Raiders' reported 'talks' with Gruden make little sense
    ""My expectations are, I want to be the defensive rookie of the year. That's what I'm going to hold myself to while I'm out there on the field working and remember that while I'm out there working hard."
    ~ Khalil Mack at training camp.

sacraidersfan is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    I believe that the this makes perfect sense. The Raiders are a struggling franchise. We as fans are both frustrated and angry. This is a win-win situation. If the Raiders do decide to let DA go, then the Media will be all over Reggie since he “hand picked” his guy. But, if we do get Gruden, most fans will be “way to go Reggie.”

Selling out games next year will be extremely difficult if we go with the status quo. Mark is not a “football” guy, and he admits that. He is more involved on the business side, so ticket sales and generating revenue is important to him. Hiring Gruden will put people in the seats, get more revenue from tv, and merchandise. WIN WIN!

Now from a football stand point, Gruden has his guy at QB. So this make sense. In Philadelphia which there are rumors of them possibly getting him, does not have an experienced QB, and the possible FA's at QB for next year don't have a huge upside. Again, this makes sense.

The only thing in this article that was correct in my opinion, is the timing of it. DA has other things to worry about (his father). So this is probably in my opinion “classless” to bring it out now. Could have waited a week or two before breaking it.

Hall of Famer
    The thing that doesn't make sense is NOT doing it. Why would you not? I can't think of one good reason. It is not like DA has the team playing good football and we are losing by a TD a game. We are getting BLOWN OUT over and over! This team looks like it has no idea what they are doing. We can argue talent and all that, and yes everyone will agree we need better talent, but DA has shown me NOTHING as far as being able to game plan, use what he has, make adjustments, call games, argue calls, or anything else.
    One thing Gruden WILL do is have this team ready to play EVERY week. We will not beat ourselves the way we have done for 10 years straight. Why would you not want that?
    In the story the guy talks about Allens father (RIP) dying and that making the talk unsavory. Are you F-ing kidding me? What are we 12 years old? He is a grown man, death happens everyday. I lost both of my parents before I was an adult, no one tried to make my life easier or cried for me, get over it. His fathers death and football are two different things. The world didn't stop for him to grieve. If he doesn't like the talk going on then he should have had this team playing better. If you are going to be a HC in this league you have to find away. I can take the loses, in fact I expected it, but never even being is games week after week is unacceptable, so don't cry when your job is on the line.
    If Reggie decides to keep DA on task, I will support it, but it will only take us getting our a$$ kicked the first time next season before people freak.
    Imasmashu likes this.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by guydon View Post
    The thing that doesn't make sense is NOT doing it. Why would you not? I can't think of one good reason. It is not like DA has the team playing good football and we are losing by a TD a game. We are getting BLOWN OUT over and over! This team looks like it has no idea what they are doing. We can argue talent and all that, and yes everyone will agree we need better talent, but DA has shown me NOTHING as far as being able to game plan, use what he has, make adjustments, call games, argue calls, or anything else.
    One thing Gruden WILL do is have this team ready to play EVERY week. We will not beat ourselves the way we have done for 10 years straight. Why would you not want that?
    In the story the guy talks about Allens father (RIP) dying and that making the talk unsavory. Are you F-ing kidding me? What are we 12 years old? He is a grown man, death happens everyday. I lost both of my parents before I was an adult, no one tried to make my life easier or cried for me, get over it. His fathers death and football are two different things. The world didn't stop for him to grieve. If he doesn't like the talk going on then he should have had this team playing better. If you are going to be a HC in this league you have to find away. I can take the loses, in fact I expected it, but never even being is games week after week is unacceptable, so don't cry when your job is on the line.
    If Reggie decides to keep DA on task, I will support it, but it will only take us getting our a$$ kicked the first time next season before people freak.
    Word...we can bring up the coaching continuity argument, but we know Gruden's pedigree as a head coach. I'm sick of the embarrassment...and I'm only a fan. I can only imagine how certain players feel who are young and haven't had much time to show that they can compete on a team that quits before it starts.

Regardless of the continuity argument, this change would not be a shot in the dark. It would be exciting and breathe new life into the team and the fan base...giving more time for Mark Davis to prove that he can handle some parts of the leadership for this team's front office. Sitting idly by watching this team suck worse than before with no end in sight should bring some action.

Hiring Gruden as HC would be HUGE.
    ""My expectations are, I want to be the defensive rookie of the year. That's what I'm going to hold myself to while I'm out there on the field working and remember that while I'm out there working hard."
    ~ Khalil Mack at training camp.

Jmac89 is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

Raiders' reported 'talks' with Gruden make little sense

At first I was saying Jon gruden ain't returning to the raiders but then I have a great feeling he might return say if we lose the final for games

Thread Information