Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: NFL.com - Blake Bortles would fit well with Raiders

Hall of Famer

NFL.com - Blake Bortles would fit well with Raiders

Blake Bortles would fit well with Texans, Browns, Raiders - NFL.com

In advance of the 2014 NFL Draft, Bucky Brooks is examining the best team fits for one high-profile prospect each week. Today, he takes on Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles. Past installments cover Jadeveon Clowney and Sammy Watkins.

It's not a coincidence that championship-caliber NFL teams tend to have a franchise quarterback on the roster.

As the only offensive skill player to touch the ball on every snap, the quarterback ultimately has the biggest hand in deciding the outcome of games. He must show the elite physical ability and mental acumen to win at the highest level, whether that means connecting on the drive-sustaining throw from the pocket on third-and-long or making a clever audible at the line to combat a blitz. While it's often easy to see which NFL quarterbacks have the necessary traits to capture a title, it's much harder to identify those players at the collegiate level. The proliferation of the spread offense and its "pick and stick" concepts (one-read progressions) makes it tough to fully assess a young quarterback's talent and long-term pro potential. Thus, scouts have a tendency to fall in love with quarterbacks who flash extraordinary talent, production and playmaking ability in three- or four-game stretches.

Looking at the 2014 draft class, the quarterback who seems to be benefitting the most from this type of "flash" evaluation is Central Florida's Blake Bortles. The 6-foot-5, 240-pound signal-caller produced his second straight 3,000-yard season as a junior in 2013, with notable wins over Penn State and Louisville marking UCF's path to its first appearance (and victory) in a BCS bowl game in school history. From a scouting perspective, Bortles looks like a prototypical franchise quarterback. He has impressive physical dimensions, arm talent and athleticism. He operates comfortably from the pocket, but he also has the mobility and improvisational ability to play in a sandlot manner. Bortles' combination of skills reminds me of a young Ben Roethlisberger -- and that's nothing to scoff at, considering Big Ben has lifted the Pittsburgh Steelers to three Super Bowls (and two titles) in 10 seasons.

Now, I must admit that I've recently voiced some concerns about Bortles' game. He remains a work in progress at the position and isn't quite ready to make an immediate impact as a pro. However, I believe his combination of size, arm talent and athleticism could allow him to shine in the right system down the road. If given the time to hone his craft on the practice field, away from the critical eyes of observers expecting a transcendent superstar, Bortles could emerge as a true franchise player in a few years.

Which teams are the ideal fit for the signal-caller? I've come up with five that make sense.

Note: The squads listed below are those that would best utilize Bortles' talents, regardless of the likelihood that they'll be able to acquire the quarterback.

Houston Texans (No. 1 overall pick)
    Matt Schaub has been with the Texans for the past seven seasons, earning a pair of Pro Bowl berths during that time. Yet, most observers around the league believe Schaub lacks the "it" factor needed to take Houston to the Super Bowl, and the Texans are expected to part ways with the veteran this offseason. Thus, new coach Bill O'Brien needs to identify a young quarterback with the potential to help his squad reach the next level. Bortles certainly possesses the size, arm talent and pocket passing skills that O'Brien apparently prefers in his quarterbacks, judging by the similarities between Bortles and the signal-callers O'Brien worked with while serving on the New England Patriots' staff (Tom Brady) and as head coach at Penn State (Christian Hackenberg). Of course, Bortles also offers more athleticism and mobility than any quarterback O'Brien has coached in the past. With Bortles, the Texans could utilize the traditional drop-back and play-action passing game while also incorporating some movement-based concepts to take advantage of his skills as a dual-threat playmaker.

Houston already has what would be a stellar supporting cast in place, featuring Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins, Owen Daniels and Arian Foster. Adding an athletic quarterback like Bortles would give one of the NFL's most explosive offenses an extra dimension -- and, most importantly, it could make the unit nearly impossible to defend, regardless of Bortles' rookie status.

Cleveland Browns (No. 4, No. 26)
    The lack of a franchise quarterback has kept the Browns from gaining ground on their AFC North rivals. New coach Mike Pettine certainly recognizes the need to identify such a quarterback, which is why he lured Kyle Shanahan to Cleveland to be his offensive coordinator. The 34-year-old play-caller has a strong reputation for developing signal-callers, with Robert Griffin III, Kirk Cousins and Schaub all playing well under his watch. Shanahan's ability to adapt his system to suit the strengths of his quarterbacks could help Bortles quickly find a groove as a rookie playmaker. Whether it involves shotgun zone-read concepts or features a mix of traditional zone runs and bootleg pass combinations, Shanahan will craft a scheme that should put Bortles in a situation to succeed immediately, even as the youngster continues to grow. With receiver Josh Gordon and tight end Jordan Cameron emerging as difference makers on the perimeter for the Browns in 2013, a Shanahan-Bortles pairing could produce fireworks.

Oakland Raiders (No. 5)
    Coach Dennis Allen must win big to keep his job, and if the Raiders are to have any chance of competing in the AFC West, they desperately need to find a franchise quarterback. While Bortles is a work in progress, he certainly possesses the key attributes coaches and scouts covet at the position; from his imposing physical dimensions to his solid football intelligence and athleticism, Bortles is the new prototypical NFL signal-caller. In Oakland, a quarterback with such skills could help rejuvenate an organization that has not reached the postseason in over a decade. Of course, Bortles would not immediately transform the Raiders into playoff contenders, but his presence would go a long way toward helping the team regain respectability in the AFC.

Dallas Cowboys (No. 16)
    The perpetual big-game failures of Tony Romo have Cowboys fans ready to move on from the three-time Pro Bowler. Owner Jerry Jones has insisted Romo will continue to be the face of the franchise in the short term, but the back injury (and subsequent surgery) that prematurely ended his 2013 campaign suggests the end might be near for the veteran. With that in mind, it could be time for the Cowboys to invest in a young, promising quarterback who could take over down the road. Bortles is the ideal candidate to fill such a role. While he's not quite ready to start right away, he does have attributes that could make him a star one day. Given a year or two to develop under the watchful eyes of Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and play-caller Scott Linehan, Bortles could be the guy to bring the Lombardi Trophy back to the big D.

Arizona Cardinals (No. 20)
    Coach Bruce Arians quickly rebuilt the Cardinals into contenders last season with veteran quarterback Carson Palmer at the controls. Of course, while Palmer provided stability at the position, the team's long-term success could be tied to the development of a young, franchise signal-caller. Based on Arians' stellar track record for grooming quarterbacks, it appears Bortles would be an ideal fit; his size, arm talent and athleticism are nearly identical to two former Arians charges in Roethlisberger and Andrew Luck. More importantly, Bortles is capable of playing the game both from the pocket and on the perimeter. With Arians adept at crafting quarterback-friendly offensive systems, the Cardinals could build an explosive attack around Bortles.
    manucru likes this.

uglyorc is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

Good fit yeah but I'm still not sold on taking him with the 5th pick

Sure he's a good fit but that doesn't mean he's worth the number 5 overall pick. Its very hard to predict Bortles's level of success in the NFL. He's an underclassman with a limited resume that appears weak in comparison to other QBs picked that high in the past. He's a risk while there are awesome prospects at other positions that are easier to scout. Yes he's a good fit but that doesn't mean he's going to become a pro bowl QB or even a top 15 QB. So I'm still very skeptical about selecting him that high in the draft. Later in the first round or in the second round then I'd have no problem picking him. While there is all this talk about the QBs in the draft, it wouldn't surprise me if only one gets selected in the top ten picks come draft day.
    bleed4raiders and Deathstar like this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyorc View Post
    Sure he's a good fit but that doesn't mean he's worth the number 5 overall pick. Its very hard to predict Bortles's level of success in the NFL. He's an underclassman with a limited resume that appears weak in comparison to other QBs picked that high in the past. He's a risk while there are awesome prospects at other positions that are easier to scout. Yes he's a good fit but that doesn't mean he's going to become a pro bowl QB or even a top 15 QB. So I'm still very skeptical about selecting him that high in the draft. Later in the first round or in the second round then I'd have no problem picking him. While there is all this talk about the QBs in the draft, it wouldn't surprise me if only one gets selected in the top ten picks come draft day.
    If Bortles is there at #5 then I think the Raiders would certainly draft him.
    dnalkaO naF and guydon like this.

AnthonyProvo07 is offline Banned
    All-Pro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bram raider View Post
    if bortles is there at #5 then i think the raiders would certainly draft him.
    f##k no!..

Chairman of the Board
    Bortles has been growing in me for a little while now and I would be quietly excited if we drafted him. I don't think he would start right away and that we would still have to sign a vet FA to be the starter for year one (or much of year one anyway) but I think if we did that and had enough patience to being him along somewhat slowly we would be rewarded with some great things in a couple years.

I see a few different options for the Raiders to go in this draft that could be good for us so I'm not on "draft Bortles or bust" train but I do like the idea of bringing this kid in.... Even at 5.

Gmac is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Watkins, Mack, Clowney. One of them will fall to us, and they all can help improve this team. I didn't even include the OT either.
    hector234 likes this.

raidernation_79 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I'd be fine with bortles. Reminds me a lot of flacco coming out but a little more mobile and maybe even more accurate.

uglyorc is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

comparison to Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by raidernation_79 View Post
    I'd be fine with bortles. Reminds me a lot of flacco coming out but a little more mobile and maybe even more accurate.
    Flacco isn't a bad comparison but remember Flacco was selected with the 18th pick. I think this year's overall draft class looks a lot better than it did in 2008 also. Had Flacco came out this year, he'd probably go even lower than that.

raidernation_79 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyorc View Post
    Flacco isn't a bad comparison but remember Flacco was selected with the 18th pick. I think this year's overall draft class looks a lot better than it did in 2008 also. Had Flacco came out this year, he'd probably go even lower than that.
    I completely agree. However if he produces like flacco at all noone will say we wasted a 5th on him. If we can be a perennial playoff team with him it's all good. We don't know if any if these guys will pan out until drafted and on the field.
    MadBomber24 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Flacco went 18th coming out of a D-1 FCS school.
    I like what I'm seeing in Bortles and would be happy if we got him at 5. I think any thought of getting him later in the first or early second is not even worth discussing. I actually doubt we get a shot at him. I think he's going to be the first QB taken.

Hall of Famer
    When I see Bortles play I think Big Ben or Flacco style QB. All I know is he has to be better than what we have on the roster. Really, I would be happy with Manziel, Bridgewater, or Bortles. I'm sick of trying to patch a tire with bubblegum. Let's get our QB, draft a Center, move Wiz to G, sign JV... then D picks up Allen and Raji, draft a S... and do this thing
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Hall of Famer
    I think Teddy is still the better QB. To me it's not about whether Bortles can make the transition or if he fits, it's who can make the immediate impact. Depending on who get as our FA QB, Schaub, McCown, Freeman, Fitzpatrick, our rookie QB doesn't have that pressure to perform early

I think if our O line improves, run game gets more consistent and the FA QB stays healthy, the rookie QB will have more time to learn the game and get used to operating at the NFL speed. Although, if he ends up winning the job out of TC and we have a FA QB and McG waiting in the wings, that's a good problem to have
    bleed4raiders and estrowrite like this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by guydon View Post
    When I see Bortles play I think Big Ben or Flacco style QB. All I know is he has to be better than what we have on the roster. Really, I would be happy with Manziel, Bridgewater, or Bortles. I'm sick of trying to patch a tire with bubblegum. Let's get our QB, draft a Center, move Wiz to G, sign JV... then D picks up Allen and Raji, draft a S... and do this thing
    The question that I keep coming back to though is: what is the highest possible value that Reggie can get out of the #5 pick. Sure, the Raiders need a QB, but they also need a DB or two, an OG, more WR's, some help at the RB position, a DE and at least one DT, etc... So again, what's the best possible result that they can achieve with their pick? It may be Mack, switching to a 3-4 and riding it out with McGloin for all I know.

sil&blk is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by SLVR and Black View Post
    The question that I keep coming back to though is: what is the highest possible value that Reggie can get out of the #5 pick. Sure, the Raiders need a QB, but they also need a DB or two, an OG, more WR's, some help at the RB position, a DE and at least one DT, etc... So again, what's the best possible result that they can achieve with their pick? It may be Mack, switching to a 3-4 and riding it out with McGloin for all I know.
    lol without a franchise qb we will suck. I don't want to hear about value when the demand is high. Even if we skip a qb and wait till the 2nd round texans. jags. browns. all pick before us again if they choose to draft one in the second. Thats not even discussing the Vikings behind us at 9. Who would love for these guys to get pass us.

Hall of Famer
    The QB position needs to be addressed by this organization and it's unlikely free agency will produce anything but a stop gap. Every season the position isn't addressed the rebuild will take longer and longer. I say take a QB at #5 if its Bortles or Bridgewater and as far as Manziel goes I would leave to Reggie's discretion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information