Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Oakland Raiders Free Agent Rumors/Options For 2014

Hall of Famer

Oakland Raiders Free Agent Rumors/Options For 2014

By Matthew Jussim
    Jan 09, 2014 03:57 PM EST

The Oakland Raiders are keeping head coach Dennis Allen for the 2014 season after another 4-12 finish and while the team did not show much improvement on the field, this offseason they can make a big impact off of it, as they have $60 million in cap space cleared out and likely will chase a number of free agents like Jimmy Graham, Ben Tate, Michael Vick, Hakeem Nicks, Jared Allen and Maurice Jones-Drew.

The Raiders have been purposefully breaking down their roster over the past two seasons with Reggie McKenzie at the helm as the franchise works on getting all their bad contracts and dead money gone and now the team is ready to spend. McKenzie has cleared out millions in cap space heading into this offseason and with major questions at a number of positions, players on the market will be getting targeted by Oakland, including Vick at quarterback and Nicks at wide receiver. The team has recently drafted a number of young players at skill positions, including Latavius Murray, Mychal Rivera and Nick Kasa as well as Brice Butler, the team still could go after players like Graham and Nicks.

The team likely will be going after Nicks at least initially, as they have not had a big name receiver in years and that is one reason why they have not been able to develop a quarterback. The team drafted Tyler Wilson and traded for Matt Flynn last season, but those did not work out and now the team has Matt McGloin and Terrelle Pryor and the fifth pick in the draft, meaning those two could be done as well. Nicks had a rough season in 2013 with zero touchdowns and not so great stats, but anyone who watched the Giants in 2011 knows that this man can be a playmaker and he also has the potential to be one of the best deep threats in the NFL and he is a legitimate number one receiver.

Jared Allen is an interesting option to look at, especially if the team lets Lamarr Houston go, which they said they don't want to do, but Allen is an interesting option, because he is premier pass rusher and the fact that he is 31 years old means that he could come a bit cheaper than expected. Brent Grimes is an interesting option at corner after the team underperformed there despite signing Tracy Porter and Mike Jenkins, while the team also hopes to re-sign Houston and Jared Veldheer.

Dennis Allen is coming back as head coach for next season after meeting with owner Mark Davis and now he has the chance to try and get some free agents with the money the team has to spend and while he is older as well, adding Michael Vick on a small deal could be an option. Hear it out. Vick could come in and play for a year or two and if the Raiders select a quarterback with their first or second round pick, they can develop him a bit while Vick starts, as they haven't been able to draft and develop a legitimate quarterback for some time. Darren McFadden is leaving and that makes Ben Tate and interesting option, as he will get signed as a starter somewhere.

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Hakeem Nicks?? Mr 18 straight games without a TD?
    Godinez84 likes this.

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    Would rather go after Decker than Nicks. If we have 60 million cap space, and around 10 million is allocated to the draft pool, you're left with 50 million to sign guys in free agency. If Veldheer and Houston are re-signed taking up around 12 million in cap space, you're left with 38 million to play with, which is plenty. Nick Roach signed for a deal worth approximately 3 million per season. So if you can find around 8-9 guys who are of Roach's quality and sign em for about 3 million, then sign a big name or two, suddenly this team will have a lot of good players on this football team. Of course, I don't like building through free agency, but if you can sign a lot of role players who fit the scheme, you do it, especially when you have to spend the cap, and that said players will be replacing guys who don't deserve to be in the league. Putting it all together, that should give the coaching staff plenty to work with to get a few more wins in 2014.
    ALLRAIDERWORLD and Sledge like this.
    Do it once, do it right. Or don't do it at all.
    Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Follow me on Twitter: @HBNadolny

cat444 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

no for allen

allen wants to play for a team who have a chance to win the SB , i dont think he will come with the raiders , and i would like a younger DE. Allen play for the vikes since some years but the vikes win nothing.
    hector234 likes this.

All-Pro
    I personally want Allen but you all are right, he isn't coming here.
    I say we sign Johnson & Hardy & DL.
    Then we sign one CB
    Sign some OL: Mack, Incognito, Oher
    Sign a WR: Maclin

Build the rest through the draft
    Lakim and Reno825 like this.

Creativity is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    OL: Mack, incognito
    CB: Thurmond from Seattle
    WR: Maclin, Decker
    Lakim, TarHeelRaider and Reno825 like this.

No Fear is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    If Jimmy Graham was somehow available I would love for the Raiders to get him. Don't see the Saints letting him go.

I really hope that RM doesn't like the idea of signing a washed up QB to be our starter for next year. I'd hate to see feeble Vick playing for us, much rather we go QB in the beginning of the draft even it means trading up to get our new franchise QB.

Decker and Michael Johnson (or Greg Hardy) as our big splashes in FA seems plausible though.

I'd target...

WR: Decker
    OL: Mack and Incognito(who could be pretty cheap)
    DL: Michael Johnson or Hardy OR if we switch to a 3-4 then Orakpo
    CB: Grimes or Rodgers-Cromartie

the rest could be filled with some good role players and we'd have a much superior team compared to last year.

Also, if we DO have a successful free agency then I think RM should pull the trigger on trading up with the Rams and acquiring a franchise QB through the draft, whether he decides on Manziel, Bridgewater(if he's there at 2) or Bortles.

Current reports are saying the Texans want Bortles and that he's a 'Bill O'Brien' type of QB. So Bridgewater could be a possibility.
    Reno825 likes this.

16 to 88 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Jared Allen will be 32 when the season starts. I wouldn’t hand him big money under any circumstances.

Hakeem Nicks disappears for long stretches. Not all that keen on him.

Decker would probably be a better bet as I’m under the impression you could get him for close to the same as Nicks plus you would have the added bonus of taking him AWAY from a division rival.

Vick sucks.

Not sure what type of pass catching RB Ben Tate is but what we need is a Darren Sproles, Shady McCoy type of PASS catching scat back coming out of the backfield that needs to be accounted for at all times when he is on the field.

Jimmy Graham is superb.

Others to think about...

Jairus Byrd
    Michael Johnson
    Greg Hardy
    T.J. Ward
    Henry Melton
    Randy Starks
    Brian Orakpo
    Alterraun Verner
    Randy Starks

And of course, Jared Veldheer and Lamarr Houston. Which ever way we go I suspect we won’t go hog wild in spending but yet, sign 1 or 2 big names and fortify the team with other players. Then of course after free agency will have a better idea as to the type of player(s) we will be targeting in the draft

Exciting times...
    Jimbo UK and Ghost 2 Post like this.

Ghost 2 Post is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro

Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by 16 to 88 View Post
    Jared Allen will be 32 when the season starts. I wouldn’t hand him big money under any circumstances.

Hakeem Nicks disappears for long stretches. Not all that keen on him.

Decker would probably be a better bet as I’m under the impression you could get him for close to the same as Nicks plus you would have the added bonus of taking him AWAY from a division rival.

Vick sucks.

Not sure what type of pass catching RB Ben Tate is but what we need is a Darren Sproles, Shady McCoy type of PASS catching scat back coming out of the backfield that needs to be accounted for at all times when he is on the field.

Jimmy Graham is superb.

Others to think about...

Jairus Byrd
    Michael Johnson
    Greg Hardy
    T.J. Ward
    Henry Melton
    Randy Starks
    Brian Orakpo
    Alterraun Verner
    Randy Starks

And of course, Jared Veldheer and Lamarr Houston. Which ever way we go I suspect we won’t go hog wild in spending but yet, sign 1 or 2 big names and fortify the team with other players. Then of course after free agency will have a better idea as to the type of player(s) we will be targeting in the draft

Exciting times...
    As far as I am concerned, you nailed it. I agree with every player acessment you made. I would be absolutely stoked if we got Jarius Byrd & Orakpo. Also would like to see us draft our QB if the opportunity is there. Bridgewater or Manziel would work.

Hall of Famer
    There is no way Alex Mack will be a Free Agent. He has already said he wants to stay in Cleveland and they will probably use the Franchise Tag on him to give them extra time to sort out a long-term deal.

Given his troubles, there is no way I want Richie Icognito any where near Oakland. At Guard I would the Raiders to look at Kevin Boothe, Jon Asamoah, and perhaps John Jerry from the Dolphins.

I think Jared Allen is a viable option but not a long term solution. I don't think Greg Hardy will hit Free Agency. Same with Orakpo. The two Michael's (Bennett and Johnson) are younger and have been productive.

If the Raiders manage to get Jared Allen, I would also look at Randy Starks to pair with Pat Sims pushing Vance Walker back as a rotational player.

The Raiders passed on CB Brent Grimes in 2013. We will find out if that was due to lack of cap space. Vontae Davis and Sam Shields are younger and just as good as Grimes. A lot depends on how well DJ Hayden progresses.

A good FS to take over from Woodson can be had in the draftin rounds 2 (late) to 4.

At RB I would look at Andre Brown of the Giants and Ronald Brown from the Colts. James Starks could be another possibility.

I think the Raiders can get a WR high in the draft.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

raiderfan1234 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by No Fear View Post
    If Jimmy Graham was somehow available I would love for the Raiders to get him. Don't see the Saints letting him go.

I really hope that RM doesn't like the idea of signing a washed up QB to be our starter for next year. I'd hate to see feeble Vick playing for us, much rather we go QB in the beginning of the draft even it means trading up to get our new franchise QB.

Decker and Michael Johnson (or Greg Hardy) as our big splashes in FA seems plausible though.

I'd target...

WR: Decker
    OL: Mack and Incognito(who could be pretty cheap)
    DL: Michael Johnson or Hardy OR if we switch to a 3-4 then Orakpo
    CB: Grimes or Rodgers-Cromartie

the rest could be filled with some good role players and we'd have a much superior team compared to last year.

Also, if we DO have a successful free agency then I think RM should pull the trigger on trading up with the Rams and acquiring a franchise QB through the draft, whether he decides on Manziel, Bridgewater(if he's there at 2) or Bortles.

Current reports are saying the Texans want Bortles and that he's a 'Bill O'Brien' type of QB. So Bridgewater could be a possibility.
    What's a Franchise QB? I read it a lot. Does it mean costly? So costly that if you guess wrong it screws up your organization for years? It doesn't even mean the best QB that year, even though most 1st rounders fail.

It's like there a process, and this process takes place every year. Some guy nobody heard of 2 months ago is declared great. And people start calling him "Franchise QB". Really risky pick? Possible starter? No. They run the drill every year. It's called "Franchise QB" as in "Who the hell is Bortles, and why do people think we should be spending a pick that has a tremendous amout of value on a guy who wasn't even mentioned on this message board until last month, December?"

If everybody was so smart, we would've all known about this Bortles fella. But we didn't. It doesn't mean Bortles isn't good. It means that we, collectively, don't know sht about this supposed "Franchise QB". And what that means is that really don't know much about any of these QBs. Taij Boyd was a top 5 overall pick at the beginning of the season. We really shouldn't call any old QB that people are suddenly talking about a Franchise QB. Most people would probably rather have Winston than anybody this year. So, why not wait a year, and try to get the guy your really want. Maybe it's Mariota that the Raiders want. I'd say this class is not as good as next year. I'd want Braxton Miller and I'd take Urban Meyer along with him. Or Nick Marshall and Gus Malzahn. NFL teams should be giving those top college coaches a real shot to implement their systems in the NFL. Chip Kelly is one who has been successful.

I really don't have much confidence in the Raiders coaching staff, and I wouldn't want them to be making those big choices about the "Franchise QB". Last year, these very same people got for the Raiders these 4 QBs: Pryor, McGloin, Flynn and Wilson. They spent resources on Flynn and Wilson and got nothing in return, yet. Why not just bring those same guys back? After all, the current coaching staff had them last year. They liked them enough last year to get them. There's no reason to change. Unless those guys were wrong? If they were wrong, they shouldn't be making more picks, those picks shouldn't be not to shape the offense of the future, which these guys are unlikely to be part of, but to strengthen the oline and the defense.

The conventional wisdom at this point is that the Raiders are such a woeful franchise that they would be unable to hire anyone better. Minimize the damage they can do this year.

Trade all the picks. For next year's picks. Screw it. How much cap room is there to spend? We don't want these guys, who are unlikely to succeed no matter what the situation, making committments into the future. Sure, spend the money on Jimmy Graham. Sure, sign the Raiders like Veldheer and Houston. And maybe getting Michael Vick for a short -term deal (maybe an expensive one) would pacify those who really really want change at QB. Michael Vick has a winning record in the NFL.

The QBs that these guys spent money on aren't with the Raiders. The guy who they already had and a guy they got for free were the guys who started. The 4th round guy was cut. The guy who was traded for a 5th was cut. (That 5th is missing this year. They say DeAnthony Thomas would be available in the 5th. That's the cost of Flynn.)

Let them spend money this year. The cap room is there. If you trade this years picks for later picks, more better picks, you might be able to get better coaches to replace. Letting Allen stay is an aberration for the Raiders. 2 4-12 seasons typically doesn't cut it. But hey, use the QBs you used last year (you put a 4th and a 5th up there for QBs just last year, completely unnecessarily), and add to them if necessary DA and RM really shouldn't be trusted at this point to make good decisions with QBs. Let the next guy have that.

With the draft, besides - trading all the picks, for better picks next year - you could pick players to entice certain coaches, or because you have an eye on a tandem. Some players this year who would fit with this strategy. Kelvin Benjamin - TD catch wins National Championship. Get Kelvin Benjamin. Trade picks for next year picks. And get Winston. If that's what you want to do. It's proven to work. It's something we all would like. Get Tre Mason. Hey Gus, come on over and bring Lashlee and whoever else you want. We have all the extra picks. Bring Nick Marshall if you want. We already have Pryor. Get Carlos Hyde. Hey Urban, how about bringing Braxton Miller over?

That's just an idea. Kelvin Benjamin is now a 1, Tre Mason and Carlos Hyde 2s. They're all up from the beginning of the season. If Davis has an idea that he might want to get Winston, Malzahn, Meyer, adding any of those players would be of immediate value to the Raiders on the field, as well as an enticement or tandem creation.

BnSRam is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRaider2010 View Post
    By Matthew Jussim

The Oakland Raiders are keeping head coach Dennis Allen for the 2014 season after another 4-12 finish and while the team did not show much improvement on the field, this offseason they can make a big impact off of it, as they have $60 million in cap space cleared out and likely will chase a number of free agents like Jimmy Graham, Ben Tate, Michael Vick, Hakeem Nicks, Jared Allen and Maurice Jones-Drew.

The Raiders have been purposefully breaking down their roster over the past two seasons with Reggie McKenzie at the helm as the franchise works on getting all their bad contracts and dead money gone and now the team is ready to spend. McKenzie has cleared out millions in cap space heading into this offseason and with major questions at a number of positions, players on the market will be getting targeted by Oakland, including Vick at quarterback and Nicks at wide receiver. The team has recently drafted a number of young players at skill positions, including Latavius Murray, Mychal Rivera and Nick Kasa as well as Brice Butler, the team still could go after players like Graham and Nicks.

The team likely will be going after Nicks at least initially, as they have not had a big name receiver in years and that is one reason why they have not been able to develop a quarterback. The team drafted Tyler Wilson and traded for Matt Flynn last season, but those did not work out and now the team has Matt McGloin and Terrelle Pryor and the fifth pick in the draft, meaning those two could be done as well. Nicks had a rough season in 2013 with zero touchdowns and not so great stats, but anyone who watched the Giants in 2011 knows that this man can be a playmaker and he also has the potential to be one of the best deep threats in the NFL and he is a legitimate number one receiver.

Jared Allen is an interesting option to look at, especially if the team lets Lamarr Houston go, which they said they don't want to do, but Allen is an interesting option, because he is premier pass rusher and the fact that he is 31 years old means that he could come a bit cheaper than expected. Brent Grimes is an interesting option at corner after the team underperformed there despite signing Tracy Porter and Mike Jenkins, while the team also hopes to re-sign Houston and Jared Veldheer.

Dennis Allen is coming back as head coach for next season after meeting with owner Mark Davis and now he has the chance to try and get some free agents with the money the team has to spend and while he is older as well, adding Michael Vick on a small deal could be an option. Hear it out. Vick could come in and play for a year or two and if the Raiders select a quarterback with their first or second round pick, they can develop him a bit while Vick starts, as they haven't been able to draft and develop a legitimate quarterback for some time. Darren McFadden is leaving and that makes Ben Tate and interesting option, as he will get signed as a starter somewhere.
    I can see the Raiders going after any of those FA with any real aggression.

Nicks is a #2 - No #2 WR on a team has ever gone to another team and become a go to #1 EVER
    Vick - Really I truly hate that his name keeps coming up. I don't(hope)this isnt the plan. If we want a QB that can't throw but can run around just go with Pryor
    Graham - Would love him but don't see him leaving New Orleans
    Allen - He hates the Raiders and will want to go to a more likely contender
    Tate - This is a maybe but I see a similar product in Jennings
    MJD - This is the only one to me that has real merit. He might want to resurrect his career in his home town. Would be a nice change of pace to a run by committee backfield.

I think and hope RM and DA are going to spend the FA money in the trenches.

All-Pro
    I don't think Nicks or Decker are true #1 receivers and that is a waste of money in my opinion.
    I think we need to sign Jermey Maclin and then draft a WR in the 3 or 4 rounds: Brandon Coleman or L'Damian Washington.

Incognito may be a punk but he'll come cheaper this year and he is a STUD, whether you like him or not.
    I'd agree that Mack is a pipe dream but that is who i'd throw money at. Otherwise, go get Michael Oher for RT and play Watson at RG or find a good RG in the draft in the 2 or 3 rounds Gabe Jackson and play Watson at RT. Re-sign Tony Pashos and then draft another OT late in the draft, so maybe a Seantrel Henderson, Cornelius Lucas or a Billy Turner or Matt Hall.
    That takes care of the offense with the addition of Josh Freeman and drafting another middle round QB

Defense starts with taking care of the DL! If we can re-sign Houston to a decent team-friendly contract then fine, do it and move him inside. Make a huge run at Greg Hardy but that is NOT likely. So make sure you sign one of Michael Johnson or Michael Bennett and then go after Jared Allen. I wouldn't re-sign our DT but I'd go after Linval Joseph and Randy Starks or Paul Soliai. You could also just sign one of them and go after a DT or DE in the 3 or 4 rounds, maybe a Taylor Hart or Daniel McCullers or George Uko. Then look at Zach Kerr, Shemar Stephen or Colton Underwood or Chaz Sutton in the 6 & 7 rounds.
    OLB I'd do this via the draft and again look in the middle rounds with Aaron Lynch, Telvin Smith, Boseko Lokombo or Nate Dreiling.
    CB I'd sign a FA and I'd prefer Aqib Talib or Alterraun Verner or maybe a Vontae Davis. I'd also draft a CB in the later rounds and I think Pierre Desir would be perfect if he is still there. He's someone I'd make sure we take a shot at in the 5th round, yes, make a trade so we could have a pick in that round for him.
    S - this would depend on who we sign or who we draft in the 1st. I'd love to take HaHa Clinton-Dix and pair him with Woodson and Branch but who knows. We could also make a big run at Jairus Byrd.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by djh_raider View Post
    There is no way Alex Mack will be a Free Agent. He has already said he wants to stay in Cleveland and they will probably use the Franchise Tag on him to give them extra time to sort out a long-term deal.

Given his troubles, there is no way I want Richie Icognito any where near Oakland. At Guard I would the Raiders to look at Kevin Boothe, Jon Asamoah, and perhaps John Jerry from the Dolphins.

I think Jared Allen is a viable option but not a long term solution. I don't think Greg Hardy will hit Free Agency. Same with Orakpo. The two Michael's (Bennett and Johnson) are younger and have been productive.

If the Raiders manage to get Jared Allen, I would also look at Randy Starks to pair with Pat Sims pushing Vance Walker back as a rotational player.

The Raiders passed on CB Brent Grimes in 2013. We will find out if that was due to lack of cap space. Vontae Davis and Sam Shields are younger and just as good as Grimes. A lot depends on how well DJ Hayden progresses.

A good FS to take over from Woodson can be had in the draftin rounds 2 (late) to 4.

At RB I would look at Andre Brown of the Giants and Ronald Brown from the Colts. James Starks could be another possibility.

I think the Raiders can get a WR high in the draft.
    I don't think the Raiders will go after Mack - I expect Wiz will stay at C, although they have to get the bad snaps sorted out. However, I don't think Mack will get franchised because the tag is too high - there is one franchise number for the entire Oline so he would get the average of the top 5 LT salaries and I don't think they would pay that for a center; I think the Browns will just find a way to resign Mack before FA starts.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRaider2010 View Post
    By Matthew Jussim

I don't even see Reggie kicking the tires on one of these guys, unless they come cheap.
    HOLY TOLEDO...TOUCHDOWN RAIDERS!!!

"Here it is. Snapped, spotted. It's kicked. That's got a chance. That is ... good. It's good. Holy Toledo, the place has gone wild. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. There are three seconds left in the game. There are three seconds left in the game. Well, if you can hear me, this place has gone wild. The Oakland Raiders 23, the Cleveland Browns 20. George Blanda has just been elected king of the world.''

BILL KING: 1927-2005

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information