Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Oakland Raiders Free Agent Rumors/Options For 2014

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chucker View Post
    I don't think the Raiders will go after Mack - I expect Wiz will stay at C, although they have to get the bad snaps sorted out. However, I don't think Mack will get franchised because the tag is too high - there is one franchise number for the entire Oline so he would get the average of the top 5 LT salaries and I don't think they would pay that for a center; I think the Browns will just find a way to resign Mack before FA starts.
    I never get the talk about moving Wiz from C back to LG but anyway.

You are incorrect on the franchise tag value for Mack. It is based on the top 5 salaries per position (i.e. Center) not of oline salaries. Guards do not get the franchise tag at LT salaries.

In any event, the Browns could franchise tag Mack to keep him out of Free Agency, then get a long-term done before the deadline making the tag value irrelevant.
    MadBomber24 likes this.
    My Raiders 2014 Mock:
    Round 1 - Trade #5 to Buffalo Bills for #9, #41, and #149
    #9 - WR, Mike Evans
    #36 - DE, Kony Ealy
    Round 2 trade #41 to Chicago Bears for #51 and #183
    #51 - QB, Jimmy Garappolo
    #67 - S, Ed Reynolds
    #107 - DT, Will Sutton
    #149 - RB, Lache Seastrunk
    #183 - G, Chris Watt
    #219 - DT, Beau Allen
    #235 - WR, Jeff Janis

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

ThaBlaccHoleIVL is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by djh_raider View Post
    There is no way Alex Mack will be a Free Agent. He has already said he wants to stay in Cleveland and they will probably use the Franchise Tag on him to give them extra time to sort out a long-term deal.

Given his troubles, there is no way I want Richie Icognito any where near Oakland. At Guard I would the Raiders to look at Kevin Boothe, Jon Asamoah, and perhaps John Jerry from the Dolphins.

I think Jared Allen is a viable option but not a long term solution. I don't think Greg Hardy will hit Free Agency. Same with Orakpo. The two Michael's (Bennett and Johnson) are younger and have been productive.

If the Raiders manage to get Jared Allen, I would also look at Randy Starks to pair with Pat Sims pushing Vance Walker back as a rotational player.

The Raiders passed on CB Brent Grimes in 2013. We will find out if that was due to lack of cap space. Vontae Davis and Sam Shields are younger and just as good as Grimes. A lot depends on how well DJ Hayden progresses.

A good FS to take over from Woodson can be had in the draftin rounds 2 (late) to 4.

At RB I would look at Andre Brown of the Giants and Ronald Brown from the Colts. James Starks could be another possibility.

I think the Raiders can get a WR high in the draft.
    Well put......I like Verner at DB a lil better than Grimes, but wudnt complain about either. Everyone loved Nnamdi, but most don't like Hayden yet forget it took Nnamdi 3yrs to start. I think Hayden will progress.

Donald Brown definitely and Starks wud come cheap I'm sure. Was Andre Brown the fumbler in NY?

I'd like to go after one of the centers and just move Wiz bk to LG. Saves a lil money and address depth in the draft resign Barnes and Pashos cheap.

You don't like Soliai over Starks? Both worthy of signing tho. I like Allen if he comes cheap for a year or 2. And I agree if we don't address the WR in FA I like one in the first round Watkins, Evans, or Lee.

Raider in Cincy is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    I am starting to like the Watkins round 1, Boyd round 2 (or 3) combination coupled with a veteran QB like Freeman as you try to develop Boyd.

Huda is offline Limited Membership
    Bench Warmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider in Cincy View Post
    I am starting to like the Watkins round 1, Boyd round 2 (or 3) combination coupled with a veteran QB like Freeman as you try to develop Boyd.
    You know that was my same thoughts. The offense needs playmakers. Freeman would be nice for a couple of years. I know the Nation wants to win now but it takes time to build a franchise!

rockfromcon is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    We've got 60 million to spend this year and we HAVE to hit on all of our FA's and we need to have a good draft since the other three teams in the division were playoff teams. I've already posted that I would love for us to trade down to the 10-14 range and draft Taylor Lewan to play RT for us. I'm convinced that Josh Freeman will be our starting QB next year and I'm okay with that. He had his best year under our OC so maybe there is a connection there. Guys I want to see us target in free agency are listed below with my reasoning.

WR- Jeremy Maclin. A lot of posts on here about Decker and Nicks but I don't think either would come here. I think Decker is line for a pretty big pay day and there are a lot of really good WR's in the draft so I say pass on Decker. I would have loved to have Nicks three years ago but he has lost a step and would be our third best WR behind Streeter and Moore! Bring Maclin in on a prove it deal. He's had a lot of injury issues so he should come cheap. He's the guy we should have drafted instead of DHB in the first place. Maclin and Streeter on the outside with Moore playing in the slot. Sounds real nice.

OL- Richie Incognito or Jon Asamoah. I would personally love to have him. I don't that this is going to happen but he would be a huge upgrade at LG for us. He's a mauler and nasty and would be great in between Wiz and Veldheer. I don't know if Reggie would pull the trigger on it but this guy is a RAIDER. If we pass on Incognito then stealing from Asomoah from the Chiefs wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. Asamoah would come in and start at RG for us and would immediately help the running game. I would be fine with either with Incognito being my preference.

DL- Michael Bennett and Robert Ayers. I think we will resign Pat Sims, Vance Walker and Lamaar Houston. If we decide to move Houston inside (which we should do) I would feel fine with Sims and Houston as our starting DT's with Walker and McGee rotating in. Michael Bennett is the most realistic signing for me and I am the most excited about him when it comes to DE's. He is a good pass rusher and the most well rounded DE available (outside of Jared Allen). Ayers has a history with coach Allen so I think that helps bring him over from Denver. He's not a sexy name but he is a productive player and that's what we need, more productive players.

CB- Sam Shields. I think we will resign Porter OR Jenkins but I expect Shields and Hayden to be our starting CB's. Reggie has a history with Shields obviously being a Packers guy. Shields is the Packers best CB so they might try to keep him but I think we can offer more money and there is familiarity with Reggie so I think we steal him from the Packers.

S- Jarius Byrd. Byrd will be our big FA signing, he's a great player and someone that was able to stand out in Buffalo of all places! He's going to be a huge addition to our defense and will be a great player next to a fully healthy Branch.

Guys I want us to resign... Veldheer, Pashos, Jennings, Houston, Walker, Sims, Jenkins, Charles Woodson.

If we are able to trade down and draft Lewan I think our starting lineups would look like this.

LT- Veldheer
    LG- Incognito
    C- WIZ
    RG- Brisel
    RT- Lewan
    QB- Freeman
    FB- Reece
    RB- Jennings
    TE- Rivera
    WR- Maclin
    WR- Streeter

DE- Michael Bennett
    DT- Houston
    DT- Sims
    DE- Ayers
    SLB- Burnett
    MLB- Roach
    WLB- Moore
    CB- Shields
    SS- Byrd
    FS- Branch
    CB- Hayden

blackice is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRaider2010 View Post
    Oakland Raiders Free Agent Rumors/Options For 2014
    By Matthew Jussim
    Jan 09, 2014 03:57 PM EST

The Oakland Raiders are keeping head coach Dennis Allen for the 2014 season after another 4-12 finish and while the team did not show much improvement on the field, this offseason they can make a big impact off of it, as they have $60 million in cap space cleared out and likely will chase a number of free agents like Jimmy Graham, Ben Tate, Michael Vick, Hakeem Nicks, Jared Allen and Maurice Jones-Drew.

The Raiders have been purposefully breaking down their roster over the past two seasons with Reggie McKenzie at the helm as the franchise works on getting all their bad contracts and dead money gone and now the team is ready to spend. McKenzie has cleared out millions in cap space heading into this offseason and with major questions at a number of positions, players on the market will be getting targeted by Oakland, including Vick at quarterback and Nicks at wide receiver. The team has recently drafted a number of young players at skill positions, including Latavius Murray, Mychal Rivera and Nick Kasa as well as Brice Butler, the team still could go after players like Graham and Nicks.

The team likely will be going after Nicks at least initially, as they have not had a big name receiver in years and that is one reason why they have not been able to develop a quarterback. The team drafted Tyler Wilson and traded for Matt Flynn last season, but those did not work out and now the team has Matt McGloin and Terrelle Pryor and the fifth pick in the draft, meaning those two could be done as well. Nicks had a rough season in 2013 with zero touchdowns and not so great stats, but anyone who watched the Giants in 2011 knows that this man can be a playmaker and he also has the potential to be one of the best deep threats in the NFL and he is a legitimate number one receiver.

Jared Allen is an interesting option to look at, especially if the team lets Lamarr Houston go, which they said they don't want to do, but Allen is an interesting option, because he is premier pass rusher and the fact that he is 31 years old means that he could come a bit cheaper than expected. Brent Grimes is an interesting option at corner after the team underperformed there despite signing Tracy Porter and Mike Jenkins, while the team also hopes to re-sign Houston and Jared Veldheer.

Dennis Allen is coming back as head coach for next season after meeting with owner Mark Davis and now he has the chance to try and get some free agents with the money the team has to spend and while he is older as well, adding Michael Vick on a small deal could be an option. Hear it out. Vick could come in and play for a year or two and if the Raiders select a quarterback with their first or second round pick, they can develop him a bit while Vick starts, as they haven't been able to draft and develop a legitimate quarterback for some time. Darren McFadden is leaving and that makes Ben Tate and interesting option, as he will get signed as a starter somewhere.
    This editor is a joke! M.vick he is a turnover machine and can,t stay healthy the only person on that list worth a damn is graham WE need the C from browns should be priority number 1 in FA and decker is way better then nicks. We need Johnson of bengals to via FA...........
    IERaiderFan likes this.

Hall of Famer
    I doubt we get Allen or Grahm, we should try to get Mack and Byrd. Would not mind Orakpo but I don't see him leaving the Redskins
    Ghost 2 Post likes this.

Bram Raider is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Some of the best free agents will receive the franchise tag.
    Others would need to be overpaid in order to lure them to Oakland.
    We're not an attractive prospect: perennial losers, still considered dysfunctional, a head coach/GM combo that many consider under great pressure to succeed.
    We'll need all $50m to get good players to come here.
    Our best option is still the draft and last year's crop needs to start performing.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Raider View Post
    Some of the best free agents will receive the franchise tag.
    Others would need to be overpaid in order to lure them to Oakland.
    We're not an attractive prospect: perennial losers, still considered dysfunctional, a head coach/GM combo that many consider under great pressure to succeed.
    We'll need all $50m to get good players to come here.
    Our best option is still the draft and last year's crop needs to start performing.
    If RM and DA could convince C wood to come here over Den then I am confident they can do the same with more other top end FAs as well. Every year great players sign with bad teams. We will miss out on some just because that's how the business works when 32 teams are all trying to fill their rosters as fast as possible but we will get some good players no doubt. Esspecially since only a couple of teams can be big buyers this year and none of the top teams can I believe.
    Celphtitled likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    If RM and DA could convince C wood to come here over Den then I am confident they can do the same with more other top end FAs as well. Every year great players sign with bad teams. We will miss out on some just because that's how the business works when 32 teams are all trying to fill their rosters as fast as possible but we will get some good players no doubt. Esspecially since only a couple of teams can be big buyers this year and none of the top teams can I believe.
    We might well get some big players in free agency.
    We need to get the right players.
    And the best players are rarely allowed to leave - there are exceptions, but more often than not the best do remain under the franchise tag.
    Even big names like Peppers haven't brought their teams success.

You keep money for your quarterback - that is who wins you games.

Hall of Famer
    Can any of you take a stab at what kind of contracts the following players will get w/ cap hit # ?

WR- Maclin or Decker

C- Mack

S- Jarius Byrd

G- Incognito

DL- Michael Bennett

CB- Sam Shields.
    hector234 likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Decent listing here of all free agents:
    2014 NFL Free Agents - Free Agency Update - Rotoworld.com

I certainly would like to keep Houston, Veldheer, Jennings, Barnes (played well as a Guard) and Porter/Jenkins/both (personally Hayden must step up in 2014).

I'd like to make a run at Jairus Byrd, BJ Raji and Michael Johnson in order to shore up the defense.
    Yes, Buffalo and Cincy might franchise Byrd and Johnson again, but I don't expect they will.
    These three players would be my first choices in free agency.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Raider View Post
    Decent listing here of all free agents:
    2014 NFL Free Agents - Free Agency Update - Rotoworld.com

I certainly would like to keep Houston, Veldheer, Jennings, Barnes (played well as a Guard) and Porter/Jenkins/both (personally Hayden must step up in 2014).

I'd like to make a run at Jairus Byrd, BJ Raji and Michael Johnson in order to shore up the defense.
    Yes, Buffalo and Cincy might franchise Byrd and Johnson again, but I don't expect they will.
    These three players would be my first choices in free agency.
    There will also be some good players cut for salary cap reasons. Players who would be an upgrade over who we have now. The FA list isn't close to being set yet.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    There will also be some good players cut for salary cap reasons. Players who would be an upgrade over who we have now. The FA list isn't close to being set yet.
    Most definitely.
    But all three on my list are at about their peak years and would be my first choices.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by djh_raider View Post
    I never get the talk about moving Wiz from C back to LG but anyway.

You are incorrect on the franchise tag value for Mack. It is based on the top 5 salaries per position (i.e. Center) not of oline salaries. Guards do not get the franchise tag at LT salaries.

In any event, the Browns could franchise tag Mack to keep him out of Free Agency, then get a long-term done before the deadline making the tag value irrelevant.
    Don't know the truth about franchise tags for C, but CBS sports has it by o-line and the level is pretty bit. At the number CBS puts out, they likely wont franchise Mack.

Agent's Take: Ten players who could get slapped with a franchise tag - CBSSports.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information