Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 2014 Free Agents

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Not a great list of UFA QB's. If Reggie doesn't think he's going to get a game one starter in the draft I would wait for the Texans to cut Schaub and offer him a front loaded deal that may be an overpayment but easy to cut in two years. I realize he's more in the caretaker mold but he's been a really good caretaker over the years and while this season was a complete disaster if you look at is career in Texas he's been top 10 every season except this one, has close to a 5000 yard season and I believe this season has made him somewhat undervalued. He's a better version of Alex Smith and here's no reason to think that he can't walk into the current system and do markedly better than the guys that played under centre for the Raiders this season. IMO a good stop gap QB if Reggie wants to maybe use him to accelerate the rebuild as I see no downside unless Reggie feels comfortable enough with his/Allen's job security to go into next season with a rookie QB backed up by Pryor/McGloin or one of the crappy UFA QB's available (I'm assuming Cutler isn't going to be UFA).
    I agree, this free agent QB class is pretty bad. I wouldn't go near Schaub though. Dude is cooked. Never thought much of him anyway. He was the product of having an elite offensive system around him with the zone running scheme, along with Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels. This season he was flat out terrible. Wouldn't go near him.
    Do it once, do it right. Or don't do it at all.
    Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Follow me on Twitter: @HBNadolny

heavyweight_4u is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    I would like a set of proven fresh legs in the secondary. ~~ Alterraun Verner ~~ Sam Sheilds

I would love a Orakpo, or Bennett signing.

QB im still at a loss for. Don't like a lot of the options out there.

saynt_raider is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    I could only imagine if we were able to sign Jay Cutler and Jimmy Graham.... then i would get excited.

But this is The Raiders... and we don't make moves that make sense lol.

Jay Cutler and Jimmy Graham would probably take a lot less money to stay put....

I mean what top FA would want to come to a team that is 53-121 since 2003

Veteran
    If we pick-up a FA QB, it will be as a mentor or as a stop gap. The big questions is how we feel about the QB crop coming out of the draft. Is there that QB of the future out there in our eyes? if so, we will draft a QB high. If not we might draft one lower to develop over time. Also what do we see in our current QB's? Are they long-term back-ups or do we see a future out of them?

After we spend the money in FA this year where will this leave us next year. Note that franchise QB's rarely hit the FA. With this in mind, we either luck out or draft one.

My guess is that we will draft a QB in the 1st, pick-up a vet in FA that can help, and Pryor or McGloin is gone next year. Best guess is Pryor is traded. He has a long way to go to be a NFL starter. His running style will be controlled by NFL D's until he can prove he can pass effectively. This he cannot do. I would love to keep him as a WR who potentially could have some QB gimmick plays designed for him.

Jewelz0376 is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by saynt_raider View Post
    I could only imagine if we were able to sign Jay Cutler and Jimmy Graham.... then i would get excited.

But this is The Raiders... and we don't make moves that make sense lol.

Jay Cutler and Jimmy Graham would probably take a lot less money to stay put....

I mean what top FA would want to come to a team that is 53-121 since 2003

Would probably could get Jimmy Graham, but we'd have to offer him the largest contract given to a WR in Nfl history...Cause from what I heard he doesn't want TE money he wants WR money..(can't say I blame him though)... Culter we would have to break the bank for too most likely...

On another note....I keep seeing people talk about signing Mack and moving Wiz to guard...While I agree that would be great, has anyone ever actually heard any coaches or anyone on the raiders staff talk about moving Wiz to guard??

sa_dick_steele is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewelz0376 View Post
    Would probably could get Jimmy Graham, but we'd have to offer him the largest contract given to a WR in Nfl history...Cause from what I heard he doesn't want TE money he wants WR money..(can't say I blame him though)... Culter we would have to break the bank for too most likely...

On another note....I keep seeing people talk about signing Mack and moving Wiz to guard...While I agree that would be great, has anyone ever actually heard any coaches or anyone on the raiders staff talk about moving Wiz to guard??
    I haven't heard anything about it. I like the idea because it would solidify 2 positions with one signing. You don't move Wiz unless it's an upgrade such as Mack.

kejo7 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewelz0376 View Post

On another note....I keep seeing people talk about signing Mack and moving Wiz to guard...While I agree that would be great, has anyone ever actually heard any coaches Grahamone on the raiders staff talk about moving Wiz to guard??
    I would love to see us get our hands on Jimmy Graham... I never thought it could be a possibility, but after some research it appears as if New Orleans will be $16 million over the cap going into the offseason, so they may have no choice but to let him test the market. If by some miracle he hits free agency, this could be our blockbuster move of the year. He would command a deal somewhere between Gronkowski and Calvin Johnson, but would be well worth the investment. Adding Graham would immediately boost the entire offense. Streater and Holmes would greatly benefit from having a guy like Jimmy Graham in the offense.

All-Pro
    I would like to see us target these guys and positions:

QB - Freeman, will be cheaper this year & played well under Olsen & has a big arm
    WR - Maclin or Alexander
    TE - Graham
    C - Mack
    OG - Incognito or Asamoah
    OT - Oher or Saffold
    DE - Hardy, Johnson, Bennett or Allen
    DT - Melton, Starks or Soliai
    CB - Talib or Verner
    FS - Byrd
    SoBruTal_ likes this.

Raider in Cincy is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Why the fascination with guys like Freeman or Cutler? The Raiders should be attempting to draft a franchise QB, and try to win with him. I mean 13/18 teams that are mathematically alive to make the playoffs start a QB they drafted and of the 5 that do not one is Brees and another is Manning. I don't want the Raiders to break the bank for 2 or 3 decent years from some retread QB. The modern NFL is predicated on drafting a QB and building the franchise around them.
    Chewy316 likes this.

Creativity is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro

2014 f/a

WR- Eric Decker, Maclin, Boldin
    LB: Orakpo
    CB: Thurmond, Tarell Brown
    DE: Jared Allen
    C: Alex Mack
    QB: Freeman
    SoBruTal_ likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider in Cincy View Post
    Why the fascination with guys like Freeman or Cutler? The Raiders should be attempting to draft a franchise QB, and try to win with him. I mean 13/18 teams that are mathematically alive to make the playoffs start a QB they drafted and of the 5 that do not one is Brees and another is Manning. I don't want the Raiders to break the bank for 2 or 3 decent years from some retread QB. The modern NFL is predicated on drafting a QB and building the franchise around them.
    So 5 of the 18 teams still alive start a free agent QB.
    Just a quick look at the 12 teams totally eliminated, all but one went into the season with a QB they had drafted. Only one of the crap teams had a free agent QB and that's the Texans.
    Besides that... I would have a huge problem if we went after Freeman. I'd be ok with Cutler if we could get him cheap, but that aint gonna happen. Not sure how much I'd be willing to give for him. A good free agent QB could make you an instant contender. Practically EVERY drafted rookie is a crap shoot who you could waste years trying to develop.

Hall of Famer
    This is the deal... We HAVE to DRAFT a franchise QB, anyone who thinks different is in the dark at this point. We have tried EVERY other method.... We HAVE to (at least attempt) draft a franchise QB.
    With the rookie wage scale we won't have to break the bank drafting our guy...
    This mean the Raiders have a HUGE wad of cash to spend this off-season... better yet, they MUST spend. We are going to get some talent on this football team in 2014 no way around it!
    FA's...
    RB's: I like Jennings and we can see what we have in Murry

WR: Nicks, Boldin, Decker, Britt, Maclin, Golden tate... Hell, I would take any one of them

TE's: Jimmy Graham is a FA... can you imagine??? I think Pettigrew... fred davis are also there.

Oline: lock up the hulk... oher at RT?

Dline: FA's abound... We will get some good players at this spot

LB: Is a little thin in this market

DB's:There are quit a few guys that could help us... Byrd, bethea, clark are some safety options.

It will be one of the most exciting off-seasons we have ever had. We should be able to bring in a bunch of talent.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by guydon View Post
    This is the deal... We HAVE to DRAFT a franchise QB, anyone who thinks different is in the dark at this point. We have tried EVERY other method.... We HAVE to (at least attempt) draft a franchise QB.
    With the rookie wage scale we won't have to break the bank drafting our guy...
    This mean the Raiders have a HUGE wad of cash to spend this off-season... better yet, they MUST spend. We are going to get some talent on this football team in 2014 no way around it!
    FA's...
    RB's: I like Jennings and we can see what we have in Murry

WR: Nicks, Boldin, Decker, Britt, Maclin, Golden tate... Hell, I would take any one of them

TE's: Jimmy Graham is a FA... can you imagine??? I think Pettigrew... fred davis are also there.

Oline: lock up the hulk... oher at RT?

Dline: FA's abound... We will get some good players at this spot

LB: Is a little thin in this market

DB's:There are quit a few guys that could help us... Byrd, bethea, clark are some safety options.

It will be one of the most exciting off-seasons we have ever had. We should be able to bring in a bunch of talent.
    I would disagree 100%! I'm sorry but without a solid OL & offensive weapons, what good would a "Franchise QB" do us anyways? Also, just because you draft a QB high (Franchise as you say) doesn't mean that they are going to pan out (see J. Russell).

Also, if J. Clowney is still on the board and someone loves him and trades up to get him we could fetch a nice package, maybe even 3 solid players (starters). Sorry, but that would help this team and build depth from within. So lets just say that you can trade down and add a 2nd & 3rd or 4th. That would give you 6 quality players in the first 4 rounds.

So, lets say you do sign some of these FA or combination of them: QB Freeman, WR Maclin/Nicks/Alexander, C Mack, RT Oher/Safford, DE Hardy/Bennett/Allen & CB Talib or Verner.
    Now, you can afford to draft a combination of players depending on who drops: FS, TE, OG, DE, WR, DT, QB
    Now, this team is a lot better off in my opinion. You have a QB who has had some success and played well for our OC and now a better line and weapons around him.

OL = Veldheer, Wiz, Mack, Jackson, Oher or Veldheer, Asamoah, Wiz, Jackson, Watson
    RB = Jennings, Murray & Tate/Blount
    WR = Maclin/Nicks, Holmes, Moore, Streater, Criner
    TE = Jenkins?, Ausberry, Mastrud, Rivera, Kasa

Now, that you've built a more solid base of a team then you can draft a QB in the 2015 draft. Maybe someone like: Marcus Mariota of Oregon, Bryce Petty of Baylor, or Blake Bortles of Central Florida (I don't think he comes out this year).

Hall of Famer
    For the love of God, get Decker on the phone!
    Chewy316 likes this.

All-Pro
    Reggie screwed up getting rid of Palmer.Looking real bad now.
    All we needed was Graham and Decker.
    Playoffs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information