Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Trotter: Firing Allen laughable, stupid

OWShaddock is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board

Trotter: Firing Allen laughable, stupid

Jim Trotter @SI_JimTrotter
    The suggestion that Dennis Allen should be fired is as laughable as it is stupid.

Dennis Allen should keep Oakland Raiders coaching job, players say | The MMQB with Peter King

“Dennis doesn’t have everything he needs at this point,” safety Charles Woodson told me Sunday. “Really, he deserves that shot to come back. It’s not fair to criticize him now. These last couple of years they’ve been making changes around here to put themselves in a position to move forward, and next year they’re going to be able to do a lot of things as far as bringing guys in to make the Oakland Raiders a formidable team.

“I understand nobody has patience in this league, and I understand the frustration of the fans. But with the changes that’ll be made, he’ll have what he needs to make this team what he believes it can be. He deserves that shot.”

.“He puts us in a position to win,” linebacker Kevin Burnett said. “What we do with that position is up to us.”

“I didn’t know anything about DA when I got here,” linebacker Nick Roach said. “But just seeing how he has handled this progression, I honestly do believe he’s the right guy for the job. He’s realistic, but at the same time he expects the most out of us, which any good coach would. He knows our potential; it’s just a matter of being together enough and building around the core so that everybody is on the same page. I can’t imagine a change being very productive.”

JKJRAIDER is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I guess if he said the opposite it would make a difference ?? .... The bottomline is that DA was not expected to get the RAIDERs to the Superbowl in 2 yrs. IF we made the playoffs in 3 yrs that was a NICE to have but not necesarily an expectation place on his head. I think everyone including the fans said if he could just make the RAIDERS competitive then maybe we can get to .500 and then move on from there ..... the last couple of weeks this team is NOT competitive football especially from the Defensive side of the ball. The team has regressed from last season and LAST season the OWNER said the team regressed from the previous season (2011) ....so his seat should be warm..... and it will probably get hot before it is over.
    Last edited by JKJRAIDER; 12-19-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    Ro_34 and Rich72 like this.

Hall of Famer
    I like DA and hope he is back next year. I also hope with more talent on the team he won't go conservative so much when we have a two score lead. I prefer a team that continues to attack until the 4th quarter is reached with at least a 3 score lead.
    Godinez84 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    This is the first time I have seen players come out in favor of DA. I would be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. Fuk it, if they want him back, bring him back... he will have no excuse next season.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

sa_dick_steele is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Powerful comments from the players. Showing some accountability on their part, good to see. How long has it been since we've seen players do that? Comments from these players should show that they haven't "quit" and that they understand that it's up to them to make the plays. Also, shows that the culture in the locker roomies changing for the better.

I still want to see how the rest if the games are going to play out.
    Metallica0688 likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by guydon View Post
    This is the first time I have seen players come out in favor of DA. I would be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. Fuk it, if they want him back, bring him back... he will have no excuse next season.
    Players have been speaking up for the coaching staff for a while now.

Like here:

Players in full support of Allen, McGloin starting vs. K.C., Jennings cleared to play - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

And here:

Jennings says he's cleared to play vs. Chiefs | CSN Bay Area

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    I agree with Trotter's main point; what happens after the season will teach us more about Mark Davis than Allen or McKenzie. I hope he can dig deep and show patience. Thanks for posting, OW...
    "He's relentless, shoot him in the head is the only way to stop him. If Howie's alive and still kicking he's coming."

-HOF guard John Hannah

JKJRAIDER is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_dick_steele View Post
    Powerful comments from the players. Showing some accountability on their part, good to see. How long has it been since we've seen players do that? Comments from these players should show that they haven't "quit" and that they understand that it's up to them to make the plays. Also, shows that the culture in the locker roomies changing for the better.

I still want to see how the rest if the games are going to play out.
    ... Funny I dont recall any PLAYER in the NFL saying something bad about his coahing staff in reagrd to their job security ..... I guess they understand the door swings both ways. With that being said ANYTHING coming from players in regard to the staff should be taken with a grain of salt.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by OWShaddock View Post
    Jim Trotter @SI_JimTrotter
    The suggestion that Dennis Allen should be fired is as laughable as it is stupid.

Dennis Allen should keep Oakland Raiders coaching job, players say | The MMQB with Peter King

“Dennis doesn’t have everything he needs at this point,” safety Charles Woodson told me Sunday. “Really, he deserves that shot to come back. It’s not fair to criticize him now. These last couple of years they’ve been making changes around here to put themselves in a position to move forward, and next year they’re going to be able to do a lot of things as far as bringing guys in to make the Oakland Raiders a formidable team.

“I understand nobody has patience in this league, and I understand the frustration of the fans. But with the changes that’ll be made, he’ll have what he needs to make this team what he believes it can be. He deserves that shot.”

.“He puts us in a position to win,” linebacker Kevin Burnett said. “What we do with that position is up to us.”

“I didn’t know anything about DA when I got here,” linebacker Nick Roach said. “But just seeing how he has handled this progression, I honestly do believe he’s the right guy for the job. He’s realistic, but at the same time he expects the most out of us, which any good coach would. He knows our potential; it’s just a matter of being together enough and building around the core so that everybody is on the same page. I can’t imagine a change being very productive.”
    Hopefully sanity will prevail and DA will be back. Interesting they have quoted the Raiders 3 best defensive players at a time the defense has been struggling.
    dmauke and KEVIN WYNNE like this.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

sa_dick_steele is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by JKJRAIDER View Post
    ... Funny I dont recall any PLAYER in the NFL saying something bad about his coahing staff in reagrd to their job security ..... I guess they understand the door swings both ways. With that being said ANYTHING coming from players in regard to the staff should be taken with a grain of salt.
    I understand what you are saying but let's put it this way, if they didn't believe in the coaching staff why would they say anything at all? Most would say something to the point of "I'll leave that to the front office. I have no control over that." Rashad Jennings called DA a great leader, he wouldn't say that unless he meant it. Most players are not going to put their reputation and word on the line over a coach they don't believe in.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    I will admit to be being a consummate fence rider when it comes to subjects like these, which is a weak man's position (IMO) as it shows someone who lacks the boldness to make a prediction...

But this seems to be the only wise choice in this situation....

On one hand

Dennis Allen has not done anything to earn my strong vote of "KEEP HIM."

on the other... the one thing we have had ZERO of through this last 11 years of a tail spin... CONSISTENCY.

Not on O, D, O-line, RB, Schemes of any kind.... Nobody has EVER ONCE had 3 drafts to fix their issues.

Until 2014????
    JKJRAIDER and FROZEN like this.
    --------------------------------

"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out”

Chairman of the Board
    If Mark Davis was in fact being sincere in his interview a couple of weeks back, to pull the trigger on Allen before giving him an ideal roster rings pretty hollow and at least tells me Mark Davis is no more patient than the old man was and it will be difficult to bring in a good coach especially if they know they have a very small window to get things done! Good luck with that!
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    if he were to come back for his 3rd year i would expect 7 -8 wins Minimum or i'd fire him another 4 wins even 5 wins is not going to do it for me. He is going to need to show drastic improvement in his 3rd year
    SDraider34 and KEVIN WYNNE like this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by JKJRAIDER View Post
    How long have you been a Raiders fan? Apparently you weren't around for, or don't remember, how the Bill Callahan era ended.
    Charles Woodson on Bill Callahan:

Charles Woodson made time to express his frustrations with Callahan, who deactivated Woodson and running back Charlie Garner before Sunday's game for missing curfew.

Woodson, a four-time Pro Bowl cornerback who could become a free agent, has been one of Callahan's most outspoken critics. He has called Callahan stubborn and said he lost the respect of his team.

"He's really made this thing personal," Woodson said Monday. "When things get personal, it's not a good situation to be around people that it's personal with. I won't play for him.

"He's not the type of person you want to be around. He's just really brought a really negative vibe to this team over the course of the season."

Woodson rips coach for benching - NFL - ESPN

Obviously Woodson is not a guy who's shy about speaking his mind regarding a coach. And as a 16-year vet, he's a guy who's been around plenty of coaches. His ringing endorsement of Allen is pretty telling, if you ask me. I don't think Charles Woodson (or the other players) should decide who's their coach by any means, but certainly their opinions ought to carry some weight in the decision-making process.
    You're right though, players don't typically call for their coach's firing in the media. But at the same time, why would Woodson, Burnett and Roach praise Allen if they wanted him gone? None of these guys have anything to gain by saying good things about Allen, especially if they don't mean it.
    Last edited by OWShaddock; 12-19-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Chairman of the Board
    I wanted to add something as I've been reading a great of comments on this situation. I believe we've seen improvement, however what we haven's seen is consistency. The lack of consistency with this team can be a direct result of lack of playmakers on both sides of the ball. This is the same thing that happens when you have a lot of young players on the roster that haven't played a great deal. There's certainly some young talent that can be developed, but consistency is what will help these guys. Pull the plug now and it may not get the desired results. Mark Davis needs to think this actin over very carefully. I see a potential for him to make an Al Davis type of decision that may come back to haunt this franchise... it's all just opinion and speculation of course but it will be interesting...
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information