Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Allen not worried about job security, says Raiders ‘closer” this season

Hall of Famer

Allen not worried about job security, says Raiders ‘closer” this season

Allen not worried about job security, says Raiders ‘closer” this season - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group
    By Steve Corkran
    Monday, December 9th, 2013 at 1:51 pm in Oakland Raiders.

ALAMEDA – Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Monday that his team this season is “closer” to being a playoff-caliber team than it was last season and that he isn’t concerned about his job security.
    “Listen, that’s not what my job is,” Allen said, when asked if he has received assurance from owner Mark Davis that he’ll be retained beyond this season. “My job is to try to get this team better, get this team ready to play against the Kansas City Chiefs.
    “I’m not going to talk about speculation or anything like that. I’m going to worry about winning a football game this week.”
    The Raiders were 3-10 at this point last season. They finished 4-12 on the heels of an 8-8 campaign in 2011, the season before Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie arrived.
    The Raiders are 4-9, with three games remaining against divisional foes – Denver Broncos (11-2), Kansas City (10-3) and San Diego Chargers (6-7).
    “We’re a lot closer,” Allen said. “Obviously the record doesn’t say so. We all recognize that, at the end of the day, this is a production business. We understand that you are what your record says you are.
    “But I also know there’s a lot of areas where this football team has improved. We’ve got to continue to improve in those areas and other areas so that we’re able to win football games and not come away and be disappointed.”
    Allen said he and McKenzie are in lock-step with their long-term outlook for their complete rebuild of a franchise that last finished with a winning record and qualified for the playoffs in 2002.
    “Reggie and I have been on the same page in everything that we’ve done,” Allen said. “We understand what the vision is, we have a plan for what we’re trying to get accomplished and we haven’t varied from that, and we won’t waver on that.”
    Safety Charles Woodson called the Raiders loss to the New York Jets on Sunday “embarrassing” and reflected badly on players and coaches. The Raiders were in all but two of their first 12 games, but they got outplayed by the lowly Jets in a 37-27 defeat.
    Allen said he hasn’t spoken with McKenzie or Davis since the Jets game ended.
    Davis vented about the Raiders poor play after the 10th game last season, saying he wanted to see progress. He hasn’t weighed in on his team’s play this season at all to date.

Hall of Famer
    Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Monday that his team this season is “closer” to being a playoff-caliber team than it was last season and that he isn’t concerned about his job security. LMFAO!!!!!!
    Rich72 and 1NFAMOU5808 like this.

Hall of Famer
    I actually agree with DA that the team is a little better in some areas... compared to last year. However, this is almost a new team from top to bottom, so I would expect "a little better" compared to the keystone cops of last season. What bothers me is the improvement from week 1 until now. You may say to yourself... "what improvement from week 1 until now?", and I say... exactly. All they did was shift which half they suck in.

I'm not worried about his win- loss record or win % right now (though it is the worst among active NFL coaches) so much as not seeing the team or staff really gel at all. No one seems to be on the same page. I understand injuries, that is why the HC has to be the rock for the team when those things happen. I don't really see any connection between him and players or the staff. I watch a LOT of football, always have. I'm pretty solid at spotting a winner... I just don't get that vibe from him.

I will likely b!tch up a storm until the off season, then if he is retained I will support him. If he looks like a HC I will say so, if he doesn't... I will say so. I won't shed a tear if he is cut loose either.
    R8RFOX, djh_raider and Naphtali like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Hall of Famer

“We’re a lot closer,” Allen said. “Obviously the record doesn’t say so. We all recognize that, at the end of the day, this is a production business. We understand that you are what your record says you are."

Kind of reminiscent of last year when DA refused to give himself a grade for the teams performance, when the honest and wise answer was so obviously an F-. This is the closest I have seen him acknowledge that this is about wins and losses I guess thats progress. Maybe he can tell us when he plans to actually produce wins instead of pointing to abstract signs of being 'closer'. He really needs to stop saying "at the end of the day".

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tatalalicious View Post

“We’re a lot closer,” Allen said. “Obviously the record doesn’t say so. We all recognize that, at the end of the day, this is a production business. We understand that you are what your record says you are."

Kind of reminiscent of last year when DA refused to give himself a grade for the teams performance, when the honest and wise answer was so obviously an F-. This is the closest I have seen him acknowledge that this is about wins and losses I guess thats progress. Maybe he can tell us when he plans to actually produce wins instead of pointing to abstract signs of being 'closer'. He really needs to stop saying "at the end of the day".
    Want a fun drinking game to play with the ladies? Watch Allen's pressers. Any time he says "uh.." or "at the end of the day" take a drink.

Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by IERaiderFan View Post
    Allen not worried about job security, says Raiders ‘closer” this season - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group
    By Steve Corkran
    Monday, December 9th, 2013 at 1:51 pm in Oakland Raiders.

ALAMEDA – Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Monday that his team this season is “closer” to being a playoff-caliber team than it was last season and that he isn’t concerned about his job security.
    “Listen, that’s not what my job is,” Allen said, when asked if he has received assurance from owner Mark Davis that he’ll be retained beyond this season. “My job is to try to get this team better, get this team ready to play against the Kansas City Chiefs.
    “I’m not going to talk about speculation or anything like that. I’m going to worry about winning a football game this week.”
    The Raiders were 3-10 at this point last season. They finished 4-12 on the heels of an 8-8 campaign in 2011, the season before Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie arrived.
    The Raiders are 4-9, with three games remaining against divisional foes – Denver Broncos (11-2), Kansas City (10-3) and San Diego Chargers (6-7).
    “We’re a lot closer,” Allen said. “Obviously the record doesn’t say so. We all recognize that, at the end of the day, this is a production business. We understand that you are what your record says you are.
    “But I also know there’s a lot of areas where this football team has improved. We’ve got to continue to improve in those areas and other areas so that we’re able to win football games and not come away and be disappointed.”
    Allen said he and McKenzie are in lock-step with their long-term outlook for their complete rebuild of a franchise that last finished with a winning record and qualified for the playoffs in 2002.
    “Reggie and I have been on the same page in everything that we’ve done,” Allen said. “We understand what the vision is, we have a plan for what we’re trying to get accomplished and we haven’t varied from that, and we won’t waver on that.”
    Safety Charles Woodson called the Raiders loss to the New York Jets on Sunday “embarrassing” and reflected badly on players and coaches. The Raiders were in all but two of their first 12 games, but they got outplayed by the lowly Jets in a 37-27 defeat.
    Allen said he hasn’t spoken with McKenzie or Davis since the Jets game ended.
    Davis vented about the Raiders poor play after the 10th game last season, saying he wanted to see progress. He hasn’t weighed in on his team’s play this season at all to date.
    Who would have agreed to be evaluated on wins and losses at the end of year 2 WHEN years 1 & 2 were supposed to be for tearing the roster down and cutting the salary cap baggage?

He knows he got a 'free pass'. We should have expected it, those of us who have been around for a while. Sure, the kids don't get it. Why would they? They've never had or seen a 2 year 'free pass' so they don't know what it is.
    Locals in Oakland boycott the Raiders, causing 9,000+ seats to be empty and blocked off. Yet, those same locals think the Raiders CAN'T leave Oakland for elsewhere. The other 31 NFL owners are losing $$$ too because of the boycott. Yes, Mark CAN get permission to move.

Everything I post is my opinion as I am an anonymous internet poster. Respect your fellow Raider family members.

Hall of Famer
    Dennise Allen is all Talk, No Bite. Terrible Coach. Providing better Talent to a Bad Coach is not going to amount to Wins. Time to send His Sorry A$$ Packing.
    Al Davis says My Beloved Raiders is "COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE"

Al Davis: A Struggling Raiders Quarterback must be Booed, and He must Be Booed Hard.

AL Davis says: Fatty JaMarcus "the Chosen One, My A$$$$" Russell must go down..Go down Hard!!!

Big AL Davis: I Got Nothing But Muscles!!! In My Head!!!!

Hall of Famer
    I have been preaching patience with this whole thing since Reggie took over. Unfortunately this is a 'what-have-you-done-for-me-lately' sport and the fans mirror that. I also think some fans should manage their expectations. A few weeks ago some were speculating on the play-offs without seeing the bigger picture. This after some were predicting the Raiders to get 0 to 2 wins prior to the season starting.

To be honest, the Raiders are about where I thought they would be. As DA said, they have made improvements in a number of areas and continue to improve. The offense, certainly, is starting to make some strides with McGloin under center as Olson gets to opens up the playbook more and more.

But back to patience. The only person this matters with is Mark Davis. It will be interesting to see if he can be hands-off and let Reggie do his job. To a certain extent, he has not been thus far. I did agree with him giving the team a bit of a 'rocket' last year. And the team responded. I did not like that he got involved with starting Pryor in the last game in 2012 and influenced for Pryor again in 2013. The romanticism that Pryor brings of being Mark's father's last pick is one thing. But Pryor's lack of skillset as a NFL QB has to be the overriding factor.

If DA and some/all of the coaching staff do not return in 2014 it will be due to Mark Davis. And this will not be a good thing for the future of the franchise, imo.
    XRamfan and S&B in NoDak like this.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

Chewy316 is online now Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by djh_raider View Post
    I have been preaching patience with this whole thing since Reggie took over. Unfortunately this is a 'what-have-you-done-for-me-lately' sport and the fans mirror that. I also think some fans should manage their expectations. A few weeks ago some were speculating on the play-offs without seeing the bigger picture. This after some were predicting the Raiders to get 0 to 2 wins prior to the season starting.

To be honest, the Raiders are about where I thought they would be. As DA said, they have made improvements in a number of areas and continue to improve. The offense, certainly, is starting to make some strides with McGloin under center as Olson gets to opens up the playbook more and more.

But back to patience. The only person this matters with is Mark Davis. It will be interesting to see if he can be hands-off and let Reggie do his job. To a certain extent, he has not been thus far. I did agree with him giving the team a bit of a 'rocket' last year. And the team responded. I did not like that he got involved with starting Pryor in the last game in 2012 and influenced for Pryor again in 2013. The romanticism that Pryor brings of being Mark's father's last pick is one thing. But Pryor's lack of skillset as a NFL QB has to be the overriding factor.

If DA and some/all of the coaching staff do not return in 2014 it will be due to Mark Davis. And this will not be a good thing for the future of the franchise, imo.
    If MD does sack RM or DA, this club really could be in trouble going forward. It could conceivably be a message to other potential prospects that this is a case of "like father, like son." No coach worth their salt is going to want to come here if they aren't given ample opportunity to turn things around. Canning DA and/or RM on the outside at least would most definitely be a message that the new guy would have to get the squad to perform instantly. And given the talent on our roster right now, down the rabbit hole we'd go once again.
    Do it once, do it right. Or don't do it at all.
    Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Follow me on Twitter: @HBNadolny

Veteran
    Cough "BS"

Hall of Famer
    Well, the team is closer. When was the last time we were competitive in almost every game? I think he deserves one more year but I'm not going to argue it. I just felt him and Reggie were given a very situation to start and are only now righting the ship. I'd reserve total judgment until after next season.
    raiderluv, MadBomber24 and Artois like this.

Props to Sin! Thanks again!!

Veteran
    Rushing record broken against us last year for single game, td record tied this year against us in passing game. I dont see any difference. Luckily prior got injured or we would really stink this year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich72 View Post
    Rushing record broken against us last year for single game, td record tied this year against us in passing game. I dont see any difference. Luckily prior got injured or we would really stink this year.
    I dont hope injury on any player wheather u are a fan of him or not. TP is a Raider and won more games 3 and 4 with him than Mcglion will this year.
    Motel Money Murder Madness, Change the Mood from Glad to Sadness......Mr.Mojorising rising rising....

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiduhSmith View Post
    I dont hope injury on any player wheather u are a fan of him or not. TP is a Raider and won more games 3 and 4 with him than Mcglion will this year.
    While I agree I don't wish injury, it might have benefit us. Also, if the defense plays for McGloin like they did when Pryor is in, we're looking pretty good right now. It's just bad they started to go south when they did. McGloin has improved our offense and the players in it. Tough to argue that.
    Yogi likes this.

Props to Sin! Thanks again!!

Hall of Famer
    In a way, I actually agree with DA. We've lost games that could've gone our way: Colts, Cowboys, Titans, Giants, and Redskins. The only games we've been completely beaten were the Donks, Eagles, and Jets.
    speedkills and ottomatic1 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information