Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Opinion question Re: RM and DA

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by wildmanbill View Post
    I believe when Mark Davis asks Gruden THIS time he takes the job.
    I also believe he will clip Reggie a little when they announce
    Gruden coach and V.P. of football operations.If when Davis
    approaches Reggie with HIS idea to hire Gruden and Reggie balks at it,
    then I expect Davis to give Gruden TOTAL control and possibly
    a ownership stake in the team.It may not be fair to Allen,but
    then whats fair in this world anymore.Proven coach,marketing
    tool out the yang,tarps off the stadium,70 million and full draft
    and with Gruden at the helm deep playoff run.Life is good again.
    That would be worst case scenario right there. Gruden was horrible the more control he got in Tampa. I dont see MD giving Gruden control of anything let alone hiring him as HC next year.
    JUSTWINBABY9111 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    DA is safe at least until the end of next year. This team has made progress but not the drastic changes everyone wants to see. The win loss record doesn't really show that these guys are playing a lot better and more disciplined. Doesn't show there's actual competency in the coaching and players actually want to be there

Offense is a mess only for the simple fact that there are no playmakers and we're playing with a raw QB and another who's a rookie. Banged up O line and WRs who would be PS players anywhere else

DA will have his job next year but if RM and DA don't put a winning product on the field next year, it will be very different

Hall of Famer
    I believe that Mark's going to follow in his father's footsteps and continue the Raider legacy of being the fist to hire minorities to key position. This year, Reggie and DA will be gone immediately following the last game. In their place, Mark will make a bold and aggressive move by hiring Oprah Winfrey as HC and GM, making the Raiders the first organization to hire a Black woman for both positions. It's truly a great time to be a Raider fan!

Hall of Famer
    Gruden seemed to not be able to develop young players......The sh!tstorm of Gruden/Lombardi/Al seemed to work for a while, but they built an old team with a short shelf life....I don't think this is the way Reggie wants to do things....and I personally think the concept of winning now at the expense of the future sucks....

That said, I think it's obvious we have an improved coaching staff (hold overs and new) Our team has hung around in games a lot better than I expected, though admittedly it hasn't reflected enough in the win column.
    Judging purely on wins and losses is way too black and white......You get- bad calls/missed field goals/ bad bounces/ sometimes you play decent and lose.....

I don't buy the concept of easy schedules...They don't exist....Teams can be far better one week than another....All NFL teams generally pay about the same amount for a roster, and a million small things come into play....Dominant teams don't exist as they once did, because one team can't buy up all the talent! That said with enough bad personal moves a team can put themselves at a disadvantage, as evidenced by our huge amount of dead money.....In our position we should of lost most of our games 35-7....The position were in is rare.....The fact that the vast majority of our games have been close IMO is praise worthy. I've been mad at the end of games, but eventually come back to earth and reality.

Hiring a new coach every two years needs to end, and with Sarkesion freshly signed at USC, I see no better candidates than what we already have......We have to see what they can do with more competitive talent....
    For me the goal should be the best O-line in football as starters........It's not the only road to winning but I believe it's the best way......

The Iconoclastic Raider in T-town

Hall of Famer
    Disagree. Both Reggie and Allen's jobs are safe after this season and very likely even after next season. And "wildmanbill" will never stop fanning the flames of a Gruden return. Forget about it. He is getting rich and is not having to endure the daily grind of coaching.
    crizpynutz likes this.

mexicanraider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy316 View Post
    I haven't seen enough from DA to suggest he should get the sack after this season.
    Have you seen enough to keep him? The argument goes both ways. Keep Allen just for the sake of continuity is called "continuism". Is basically not making changes for the sake of not making changes.

I have not seen much from him to justify another season to be honest.
    DarkLordAlDavis likes this.

Bench Warmer

Interesting to see the support for DA,,

Wow, sorry, I DID bloviate a little much, but hey it was LATE!

Anyway, if I believed for a second that Mark Davis, along with the 'pundits and media experts', EXPECTED us to be a losing team in the 4-5 win range, then I could agree all day long. But from everything i've read and heard from the people who speak to Mark 'off the record' regarding his expectations of this team and his opinion of the job DA is doing, it sounds to me like Allen is in trouble.

For the life of me I STILL cannot understand people any longer using the 'we can't land a top HC' argument, or confusing the days when Al would change coaches often with the current scenario. DA signed to a REAL NFL HC contract, not one those 'get em on the short and cheap' deals Al handed out, and was given TOTAL CONTROL of his STAFF AND HIS SCHEMES, as well as having considerable input on the personnel working with RM. I would contend that under Mark's leadership style, giving the HC full latitude on all coaching decisions, there is not a coach out there he cant or wont go after.

The dysfunction is in the past, now it's simply a matter of, 'I'll cut the checks, now DO YOUR JOB, and get us back to winning.'

I believe those who are under the impression that Mark is somehow SOFT, or too hesitant to make a change if he is unhappy with the results, are going to VERY SURPRISED at seasons end. I think he is TOTALLY committed to getting this team back to DOMINATING, and is not going to let any excuse sidetrack that goal. Though some are leery of his leadership, I'm completely convinced he's up to the task, and he's going to accomplish his goals of a winning team AND a new staduim sooner rather than later.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by regret View Post
    Reggie brought DA in because he believed he could get the job done and now Allen will actually have the tools to do his job. Unless we completely fall apart I believe a third year is a given. We've basically got a clean slate with the advantage of our coach having been in place so there's no introducing new systems or any of that nonsense, it'll be full steam ahead through the draft into OTAs.

IMO, firing Allen would simply put us another year in the hole as we install systems all over again and have our young players adapt to new playbooks. Then again I think he can get the job done. If I were an Allen critic I'd probably want the guy gone ASAP so the franchise could move on, lol.
    good points, Time + Consistancy= Success. with a whole new system, playbook and staff you arent going to get either one of the 2 constants you need for success to take place. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to install a full playbook offense to a team, i doubt its the length of 1 OTA and 1 training camp. Sunday they commented on the Offense of the Broncos and how complex it is, with Manning already knowing all the plays from his Colts days, they rocketed down the time frame it would take to get everyone on board and in sync. For the Raiders, it is going to take much longer and we are going to need the same signal caller for more than just one year. And Yes i understand the Colts changed everything with a new QB but he was also a franchise type player and obviously very smart to be able to pick it all up quickly and make plays. We have to have an on target QB, that much is certain. Having the bonus of a TP type running Qb is a luxury that not many teams have or need. i still think we need more behind C than we have to go forward and expect to sign a QB or 2 in the draft.

Bench Warmer
    Quote Originally Posted by KrimzonR8R View Post
    DA is safe at least until the end of next year. This team has made progress but not the drastic changes everyone wants to see. The win loss record doesn't really show that these guys are playing a lot better and more disciplined. Doesn't show there's actual competency in the coaching and players actually want to be there

Offense is a mess only for the simple fact that there are no playmakers and we're playing with a raw QB and another who's a rookie. Banged up O line and WRs who would be PS players anywhere else

DA will have his job next year but if RM and DA don't put a winning product on the field next year, it will be very different
    Im curious then, is it your opinion that a guy like Steve Corkran, who follows the team as a beat writer and according to his own account has occasional off the record chats with Mark Davis regarding the team, when he unequivocally states during his chat last Friday that "RM AND DA are ON THE HOT SEAT", and that if DA loses out he proposes it would be 'very surprising' if DA was retained, that he is just 'speculating? It's entirely possible that he's just totally 'spitballing' and tossing out his own opinion, but the CONTEXT of his remarks sure give subtle undertones that he is NOT GUESSING. I've personally asked him several times in chat and he continually says, with confidence, that DA is NOT SAFE RIGHT NOW, and that RM is not much better off, though he does have a tad bit more rope.

Heck, even Mcdonald tweeted last night that if DA can't find a way this week to produce the first east coast win in several years vs. the jets, that it MAY HAVE TO COME UNDER A NEW COACHING STAFF.

It amazes me that the SAME PUNDITS who many of you point to as the sources for our supposed 'talent deficiencies' and low expectations, are the SAME guys making it sound like DA may not make it back.

Hall of Famer
    No, most of us have to consider -- as of right now, anyway -- that Mark is a rational player who is known to have talked to Reggie about the rebuild process and how painful it was going to be. Given that, it would not make sense to fire Allen for a thankless two years saddled with bottom of the barrel talent. Mark could certainly be an irrational man and fire everyone but I choose to remain hopeful that we're not going back to that brand of unstable leadership.

Whatever Mark has said to Cork, I figure it's not entirely surprising for him to be displeased with losing seasons while at the same time still believing that better times are coming.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RunOvrByHubbard View Post
    Disagree. Both Reggie and Allen's jobs are safe after this season and very likely even after next season. And "wildmanbill" will never stop fanning the flames of a Gruden return. Forget about it. He is getting rich and is not having to endure the daily grind of coaching.
    Gruden is not getting RICH at an analyst salary he probably makes a little more than D.A
    which is 2.5 million a year.I am talking 7or 8 million a year and part owner of a 300
    million dollar franchise.Davis knows he needs to sell tickets and get a new stadium.
    Giving Gruden a 6 year contract and the tarps come off right then and a new stadium
    is just around corner.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
    Im curious then, is it your opinion that a guy like Steve Corkran, who follows the team as a beat writer and according to his own account has occasional off the record chats with Mark Davis regarding the team, when he unequivocally states during his chat last Friday that "RM AND DA are ON THE HOT SEAT", and that if DA loses out he proposes it would be 'very surprising' if DA was retained, that he is just 'speculating? It's entirely possible that he's just totally 'spitballing' and tossing out his own opinion, but the CONTEXT of his remarks sure give subtle undertones that he is NOT GUESSING. I've personally asked him several times in chat and he continually says, with confidence, that DA is NOT SAFE RIGHT NOW, and that RM is not much better off, though he does have a tad bit more rope.

Heck, even Mcdonald tweeted last night that if DA can't find a way this week to produce the first east coast win in several years vs. the jets, that it MAY HAVE TO COME UNDER A NEW COACHING STAFF.

It amazes me that the SAME PUNDITS who many of you point to as the sources for our supposed 'talent deficiencies' and low expectations, are the SAME guys making it sound like DA may not make it back.
    Unless MD, RM or DA comes out and says it outright to the fanbase, I take it as speculation on the media's part. From what I can see, this team has made progress but not as much progress as a team that has it's full arsenal of tools available. When MD hired RM, it was with the understanding that it's going to take a few years to get this righted. MD knows how bad the salary cap issues were since his father was the one that put the team there. To think he should have RM on the hot seat doesn't really make sense.

This coming offseason will be the first one that RM and DA are actually playing with all the necessary tools and evening out the playing field with the cap and draft choices. I think it would be pretty foolish for MD to fire RM and DA considering the past circumstances and what they had to work with the past couple seasons. I could be wrong but I don't think he would do that. This team is an investment and he's invested time and money into RM and RM has trusted DA and his staff to make progress. Like I said, the win/loss record doesn't really show how this team has progressed but the teams prior to this one were def much worse

There's no more drama with players like McClain, no more outrageous penalties with players getting thrown out of games, terrible blowouts haven't been happening. This team for once is competing and is on the same page. Is it frustrating to the fans that we don't have a winning season? Of course, but like I said, no other team has had to work under these circumstances.

Now if we're having the same type of threads next year at this time then I could see RM and DA on the hot seat. With that much $$ to spend and all those draft choices, there's no more room for excuses

OWShaddock is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post

Did you read what Corkran wrote today?

"The point is, it should pass as more surprising that the Raiders have been competitive in all but two games so far and not that they won only four of their first 12 games. It also bodes well that general manager Reggie McKenzie and his scouting department have the eye to spot players such as McGloin and Streater, as they did each of the past two seasons, as a means of bolstering the roster."

Raiders making most of their players’ talents - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

As for his chat last week, here's what else Corkran had to say on the subject. These are direct quotes. :

"Let's wait and see how things play out. Not convinced that coach Allen is going anywhere."

"Yeah, there's progress. The question is, is it enough to warrant Mark Davis giving coach Allen and McKenzie a third season? I say, yes."

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    That would be horrible. Hand the keys over to a coach who will take advantage of the situation like Hue did... a coach mind you that DID get FIRED from his last gig for running another pirate organization into the ground. We'd prob trade all our picks for Big Ben, no WAIT, Gruden said on MNF in pre season he would instantly trade a 1st round pick for Kirk Cousins... so let the Cousins era begin? NO!

Back to reality. Reggie will keep DA for the benefit of the organization. To show patience and to show a sturdy foundation. He cuts bait with Allen now, like in years past, no "BIG NAMED" coach will even except an interview knowing the organization STILL lacks patience. Why would "NAMED" coach put their reputation on line knowing they get a max of two years to win when given a rebuilding roster? People have to get a grip on reality, seriously. This is no video game where Raiders are the only team that matter. If Allen is fired, you would get another no name hail mary coach you will all HATE before the first mini camp.

I mean seriously, it seems as though some of you would want Tarver to take over because he looks like Gruden and flipped the refs off. Has Allen done enough to stay? I say yes. Can he be judged based off the w-l record? I say HELL no.

Hall of Famer
    I really WANT the Raiders to win the Super Bowl in the next few years. The reality is that's not going to happen and I understand and accept that. These fans that WANT DA to be fired or Gruden to be hired have to also accept reality. It doesn't matter how many threads you make or how much you speculate that change will happen the reality is likely going to be that nothing will change and DA will be back (deservedly IMO) for a 3rd season.

Part of being a good fan is supporting the team and coaches. If DA was a schmuck then I could see outrage but he's already exceeded expectations this season and I just don't understand how any fan can say he's done a poor job this season considering the hand he was dealt. If our team was the Falcons or Texans then yes we should be calling for the coaches head but the Raiders are going to place considerably higher than anyone predicted this season.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information