Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Raider and NFL meeting with Oakland officials

Chairman of the Board
    As bad as it may sound to someone... this is only a 1/10th of what Sacramento had to put up with the Kings... and they stayed.

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDuck View Post
    Tim Kawakami chronicled a conversation he had with Mark during one of the preseason games; when Kawakami asked if he had recently bought out a second limited partner, Mark smiled, covered his mouth with his hand, and said he couldn't talk about it.

In other words he is buying out the limited partners. Why? It's hard to come up with any other reason than wanting to consolidate ownership for a full or partial sale to Ed Roski or some other buyer.
    Tim Kawakami is basically a hater that puts his spin on the facts without actual facts to back it up. Yea Mark is going to tell this douchebag anything. These Limited Shares are that LIMITED. They have zero voting power and decision making privilidges. These are investor shares only. Carol and Mark Davis posses the only voting shares.
    CTEX and IERaiderFan like this.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

Hall of Famer
    If the financial backing is there without help from the city then what we are talking about is just grinding through the political process. In that light, I wouldn't be concerned about any article that includes dire language related to funding from voters. I'm pretty sure Mark & Co know that that's off the table. They're looking elsewhere for financial support.
    HITMAN likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Vic Tarfur is reporting this too.

If the Mayor really arrived 20 minutes late at a meeting with people who have the keys to lending 200 million green ones for a major infrastructure project in your town, that's a very poor show.
    regret and DustInTheWind like this.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    You know when a cell phone call is prioritized over a meeting with the NFL that the mayor isn't taking things seriously. Doubt the NFL will be pleased with the lack of professionalism. It's looking like a matter of time until the LA Raiders are reborn.
    You know there are things more important than professional sports right?

Hall of Famer
    First, on the location. Its not the potholes in the roads, which frankly I don't see as that bad, its the neighborhood. The Colisuem is within spitting distance of some hardcore, violent-prone areas. Would you put your money into that place, with the City as a whole battling tremendous financial challenges? On the other hand, as pointed out above, the City of Sacramento got it done. The location (K Street Mall) is so-so at night but a new arena will go a longs ways to making he downtown safer and more attractive at night. Actually, crime is not that high around there especially compared to West Oakland or the International Blvd area near the Coliseum. A challenge for both cities is lack of corporate sponsorship (to buy luxery boxes). I think the new owners just really want to be owners of a pro sports team are are willing to risk some capital. The city must cough up some big bucks too and their plan is to re-pay the construction loans with money from parking revenues from the downtown area in general, not just the arena parking lots (they are selling the rights to city parking to outside vendors).

Chairman of the Board
    Tim Kawakami chronicled a conversation he had with Mark during one of the preseason games; when Kawakami asked if he had recently bought out a second limited partner, Mark smiled, covered his mouth with his hand, and said he couldn't talk about it.

In other words he is buying out the limited partners. Why? It's hard to come up with any other reason than wanting to consolidate ownership for a full or partial sale to Ed Roski or some other buyer.
    That's absurd... you don't buyout other partners hoping to make a bigger profit buy selling those shares to other investors.
    speedkills likes this.
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Pro Bowler
    Lol. You must think highly of Jean Quan or you just don't know who she is if you're getting fussy about her being late 20 minutes.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by June510 View Post
    You know there are things more important than professional sports right?
    Not to make a mountain out of a molehill here, but this isn't really about professional sports per se. It's about revitalizing the area with a new stadium and new businesses -- a huge infusion of cash into an area that direly needs it. Yes, it just so happens that sports is paving the way for that development. I think it would be a huge mistake if she's writing off as "just sports, hur hur". Not that I think she'd be that small-minded about it... just saying.
    Raidermofojeff likes this.

RaiderDuck is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    That's absurd... you don't buyout other partners hoping to make a bigger profit buy selling those shares to other investors.
    I wasn't talking about profits. I was talking about Ed Roski's proposal calling for selling him 30% of the team at the current market value. Can you think of another reason why Mark would be buying out his limited partners?

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider Ran View Post
    Tim Kawakami is basically a hater that puts his spin on the facts without actual facts to back it up. Yea Mark is going to tell this douchebag anything. These Limited Shares are that LIMITED. They have zero voting power and decision making privilidges. These are investor shares only. Carol and Mark Davis posses the only voting shares.
    So that entire column about talking to Mark was a bald-faced lie? Mark didn't say the things he was quoted as saying? Why isn't he suing for libel then? Why isn't Ray Anderson (who was also there) suing for libel?

Here's the link, BTW:
    Mark Davis on the Raiders’ chances to stay in Oakland, ruling out Santa Clara, looking at Berkeley and LA | Talking Points

Hall of Famer
    I wasn't talking about profits. I was talking about Ed Roski's proposal calling for selling him 30% of the team at the current market value. Can you think of another reason why Mark would be buying out his limited partners?
    Again, he is NOT buying out his silent partners. There was only one transaction. And that partner (an elderly gentleman based in the East Coast) was looking to rid himself of a very minor share. Made plenty of sense for Mark Davis to purchase it. Mark Davis is NOT actively looking to purchase any more shares from his silent partners at this point in time.
    -Been navigating the seas of Silver & Black and hoisting high the flag of piracy for over 30 years-

http://www.saveoaklandsports.org/

https://twitter.com/DarrenPArata

https://www.facebook.com/#!/NewStadiumforRaiders

Chairman of the Board
    So that entire column about talking to Mark was a bald-faced lie? Mark didn't say the things he was quoted as saying? Why isn't he suing for libel then? Why isn't Ray Anderson (who was also there) suing for libel?
    Have people said untrue things about you? Did you sue for libel? I assume if it were a lie and he didn't sue... means he has more important stuff to worry about. It's the stuff rumors are made of.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider187 View Post
    Mark Davis is NOT actively looking to purchase any more shares from his silent partners at this point in time.
    And you would know this...how?

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorSCope View Post
    Have people said untrue things about you? Did you sue for libel? I assume if it were a lie and he didn't sue... means he has more important stuff to worry about. It's the stuff rumors are made of.
    If I were a public figure (which I am assuredly not) and a writer/columnist for a local newspaper group made up out of wholecloth a story about them meeting me when they didn't, and had me saying a lot of stuff about stadium proposals and whatnot that I never said, and all this was during a time when the long-term location of the Raiders is very much up in the air...Yes, I would probably sue. At the very least, I would publicly dispute it on my official NFL team website Raiders.com (which gets a ton of hits) and demand a retraction from the writer's publisher.

Have we gotten any of that? No. Have we gotten other statements by Mark partially backing up what he said to Kawakami that evening (concerning the Raiders not moving to Santa Clara)? YES.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information