Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Oakland Raiders Pre-Training Camp Preview: Quarterback

killah_k is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro

Oakland Raiders Pre-Training Camp Preview: Quarterback

By far this is the most talked about and studied position on the Oakland Raiders roster this year. Statisticians have torn apart Matt Flynn and Terrelle Pryor. Rumors have circulated that have placed Tyler Wilson as the starting quarterback for the season opener. Mostly the rumor has caused controversy over the fact that Matt Flynn lost his job in Seattle to Russell Wilson, and the “what if’s” have been floating around about Flynn possibly losing it to another Wilson (Tyler Wilson).

Training Camp is looming on the horizon. It is where the questions will be answered, but it is also where more controversy will be made. Ultimately, it will come down to performance. Whoever performs the best will more than likely start. The Raiders have four quarterbacks on their roster as they prepare to head into camp. Each of these four quarterbacks has the potential to start in the National Football League (NFL), even Matt McGloin.

For the past 8 years, the Raiders quarterback position has been absolutely terrible. The Jamarcus Russell project is over, and the Carson Palmer experiment has moved on to Arizona. It is finally time to start over and make somebody prove themselves worthy of being a Oakland Raiders quarterback. Four individuals will be headed into training camp to compete for the starting job. This is a breakdown of each individual quarterback and their abilities:

1. Matt Flynn- The 6’ 2” 230 pound quarterback that hails from Louisiana State University (LSU) was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the 2008 NFL Draft. He was the back-up quarterback to Aaron Rodgers for the start of his career, and he only had two NFL starts while with the Green Bay Packers. He started his first game in 2010 against the New England Patriots. He threw 24 completions in 37 attempts for 251 yards, 1 interception, and 3 touchdowns. However, on January 1, 2012, against the Detroit Lions, he had a very memorable game. Flynn had 31 completions in 44 attempts for 480 yards, 1 interception, and 6 touchdowns.

Mostly due to his performance on January 1, 2012, Flynn signed a contract to play for the Seattle Seahawks. Initially he was given the starting nod, but he was beat out in camp by rookie Russell Wilson. In March of 2013, he was traded to the Oakland Raiders. On May 29, 2013, Head Coach Dennis Allen was quoted saying that Flynn is the starting quarterback headed into training camp. However, it has also been highly publicized that the starting quarterback position is going to be a competition that will be determined in training camp.

Flynn has a strong and accurate arm while throwing short passes. He has a quick release, has a strong pocket presence, and he makes decisive throws. He has a tendency to under-throw longer passes, and this is where his lack of arm strength comes into play. However, if you review the film of the January 1, 2012, game against the Detroit Lions, he threw several longer throws that found their target. Let’s face it; there are players in the NFL that have what is known as “game speed.” Maybe Flynn has “game arm strength.” In any event, his ability to win the starting position will be tested in camp. Then he will be tested in the Pre-season. There, Raider Nation will be able to see if he has what it takes to be a Oakland Raiders starting quarterback.

2. Terrelle Pryor- The 6’ 4” 233 pound quarterback that hails from Ohio State was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the third round of the 2011 Supplemental NFL Draft. Pryor was thought to have been the quarterback of the future for the Oakland Raiders. However, he has been sat behind quarterbacks Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller, Carson Palmer, and Matt Leinart. Pryor has started one game for the Oakland Raiders. In that start against the San Diego Chargers in 2012, he threw for 2 touchdowns, rushed for another touchdown, threw one interception, and he completed 46% of his passes in a 3 point loss.

Unfortunately for Pryor, he has not gained the confidence of Head Coach Dennis Allen or General Manager Reggie McKenzie. They have both been quoted as calling Pryor a talented player who still has a lot to learn. In their words they stated, “He’s not quite there yet.” It is unknown where Pryor currently ranks among the four quarterbacks that are on the Oakland Raiders roster. Some analysts and sports enthusiasts have him ranked directly behind Flynn at #2, but others have him ranked in the #3 and #4 positions.

Again, he will be able to battle for the starting job at training camp, but nobody can deny that he is a very fast and mobile quarterback. He can deliver the long bomb with accuracy, but his longer delivery can leave him open to batted balls and fumbles by defensive rushers. His scrambling ability will get him out of those situations, but he has been known to take off running too early. As such, his footwork in the pocket has been called into question. It is up to him to prove to the coaches that he is ready to take the next step in his NFL career.

3. Tyler Wilson- The 6’ 2” 220 pound quarterback that hails from Arkansas was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft. This highly talented quarterback has all the makings of a starting quarterback. He was a phenomenal player in college. Many media pundits and analysts believe Wilson was underrated heading into the 2013 NFL Draft. This was due to the personnel and coaching changes that happened at Arkansas prior to the 2012 season.
    Oakland Raiders Pre-Training Camp Preview: Quarterback - Just Blog Baby - An Oakland Raiders Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

''During the Oakland Raiders Rookie mini-camp, OTA’s, and Mandatory mini-camp, Wilson caught the eye of Head Coach Dennis Allen. This was mostly due to the velocity with which Wilson delivers his balls. He has a very quick release and very good footwork in the pocket. He can scramble when necessary, but he will stay in the pocket and take a hit in order to deliver a throw.

The media has commented several times about the possibility of Tyler Wilson taking over the starting job from Matt Flynn. With the new system being installed and no official starting quarterback, I guess anything is possible at this point and time. It will all depend on Matt Flynn and the type of success he has or doesn’t have.

4. Matt McGloin- The 6’ 1” 210 pound quarterback that hails from Penn State University was picked up by the Oakland Raiders as an Undrafted Rookie Free Agent in 2013. McGloin had a great college year in 2012 statistically. He earned several college honors and broke school records.

McGloin is certainly a wildcard to make the team, but he has already impressed Raiders coaches during their limited time together. Head Coach Dennis Allen was impressed by McGloin’s throwing accuracy and his ability to make smart decisions. Hopefully, he will be able to make the most of his limited playing time.

No matter which direction the Raiders go, I am looking forward to what Offensive Coordinator Greg Olson can draw up. I am sure there is a plan in place to accommodate whoever is chosen as the starter for the 2013 season.''

May the best QB when the job , interesting that the writer says all 4 could be NFL starters , its going to be a good battle.....on the field and this forum haha
    UptownXguy3 and Okie like this.

Hall of Famer
    Actually the article says only 1 will be the starter. That is Matt Flynn.

It talks about the "possibility" Tyler Wilson taking over at some point during the 2013 season. Well, if Flynn is winning and the Raiders are doing well, then this wont be a possibility.

With Pryor, it quotes everything I have said about him. He does not fit where Reggie and DA want to go. They are not going to put in "Pryor specific" packages simply because he cannot execute. Face it, Pryor was not picked by Reggie. He is cleaning out Al's picks. And Pryor doe not envisage the ofeensive style Reggie wants in Oakland.

And that is the bottom line.

A for McGloin, his only drawback is his size. He has the talent though but while Pryor is on the roster he is not going to get the opportunity. He will, hopefully, make the PS.
    Chewy316 likes this.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

Almaden is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    I'm 55. Raider fan since childhood. Never ever experienced a training camp/preseason with this much intrigue at the QB position. Three untested, unproven young prospects. Maybe one of them will catch fire. Maybe all three of them will show promise. Or maybe all three of them will suck.

In the past, there was usually an established starter, and some young QB on the roster you would hope would show flashes of potential. Sat through Marc Wilson, Rusty Hilger, Tui, Walter, etc, hoping that one of them would turn out like that second round kid from Alabama back in '68 who finally started pushing his case a few years later. Never happened.

But this summer....basically three rookies. The 2 preseason games that we have to buy with our season ticket packages will be worth the money this year. I'm looking forward to seeing those games, watching a practice, and following the beat writers in a couple of weeks. Hope springs eternal.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by djh_raider View Post
    Actually the article says only 1 will be the starter. That is Matt Flynn.

It talks about the "possibility" Tyler Wilson taking over at some point during the 2013 season. Well, if Flynn is winning and the Raiders are doing well, then this wont be a possibility.

With Pryor, it quotes everything I have said about him. He does not fit where Reggie and DA want to go. They are not going to put in "Pryor specific" packages simply because he cannot execute. Face it, Pryor was not picked by Reggie. He is cleaning out Al's picks. And Pryor doe not envisage the ofeensive style Reggie wants in Oakland.

And that is the bottom line.

A for McGloin, his only drawback is his size. He has the talent though but while Pryor is on the roster he is not going to get the opportunity. He will, hopefully, make the PS.

''The Raiders have four quarterbacks on their roster as they prepare to head into camp. Each of these four quarterbacks has the potential to start in the National Football League (NFL), even Matt McGloin.''

......thats what the article said, im not making stuff up , and where does it say that Flynn will be the starting quarterback? th article is about the competition and does not state who will be the starter , it does mention that Flynn is going into TC as the number one but thats it buddy

Hall of Famer
    Carnage time is comin
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    you can't find one post by me saying I have Knapp's back.
    This is why I have Knapps back
    No one owes woodson sh!t and I'm not sure he will ever see the HOF

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman56 View Post
    Carnage time is comin
    This^^^^

And here's to Tyler Wilson winning the starting QB job outright

Probably gonna get nailed for this Wilson-Love Nonsense, but I really believe in this guy. I know he will have to deal with a steep NFL learning curve. I get it. For me, Wilson's chances lie mostly in the fact that Flynn has significant throwing limitations. Flynn will be exposed early and often, hence opening the door for Wilson who will leap frog Pryor and be in position to start on opening day. Just my opinion.
    djh_raider and Okie like this.
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by killah_k View Post
    ''The Raiders have four quarterbacks on their roster as they prepare to head into camp. Each of these four quarterbacks has the potential to start in the National Football League (NFL), even Matt McGloin.''

......thats what the article said, im not making stuff up , and where does it say that Flynn will be the starting quarterback? th article is about the competition and does not state who will be the starter , it does mention that Flynn is going into TC as the number one but thats it buddy
    Wow, you should go into politics for whatever party you support as a 'spin doctor'.

"Potential to start in the NFL". This does not even say any of the 4 could start for the Raiders, just that they have "potential" to start for a team in the NFL. In the breakdown of the QB's the article says that Pryor will "be able to battle for the staring job" and Wilson "has all the makings of a starting quarterback". As I said it talks about their "possibilities" but does not have either of them starting.

As for Flynn, the article states that Flynn according to DA "is the starting quarterback headed into training camp". This you agree on. So, it is Flynn's job to lose.

Spin it any way you like. Flynn is the starter heading into camp. Pryor, Wilson, and McGloin all have a shot but based on OTA's and Mini-Camp, they are going to have to up their game (a lot) to unseat Flynn. Pryor has shown no improvement from 2012 and, in fact, may have regressed. Wilson has shown exactly what he is, a 4th round rookie QB. McGloin had a handful of reps in Mini-Camp, so you or I have just as much chance of starting as he does.

Barring injury, Flynn will be the starter on opening day. Pryor, Wilson, and McGloin are battling for the other 2 spots. That battle may become interesting if the Raiders see the need for a veteran backup on the roster and sign one of the roster cuts. As I said, Pryor does not fit the "type" of players Reggie wants on offense. The same can be said for Jacoby Ford at WR. We are seeing it at WR with Reggie's draft picks and similar at TE, and maybe even RB. If you want a clue, look at the Packers offense over the last 5 years or so. That is where the Raiders will be heading under Reggie, imo.
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Of Hands View Post
    This^^^^

Probably gonna get nailed for this Wilson-Love Nonsense, but I really believe in this guy. I know he will have to deal with a steep NFL learning curve. I get it. For me, Wilson's chances lie mostly in the fact that Flynn has significant throwing limitations. Flynn will be exposed early and often, hence opening the door for Wilson who will leap frog Pryor and be in position to start on opening day. Just my opinion.
    I believe Tyler Wilson has the 'potential' (hate that word) to be a starting QB for the Raiders.

That said, at the moment, he is a long way from there. I actually hop he sits and learns. And there comes my problem (well the Raiders problem). Hostorically the Raiders have NEVER been able to develop a QB. I know, I know, new regime and all. Maybe times will change.

What I fear is that if Flynn gets "exposed" and Wilson gets thrown in there, he will do no better. That may lead to draft a Qb with their high first round pick damning Wilson to be a career backup or getting a starting gig with someone else down the line. Either way, that is not good.

As for Flynn, I think people are significantly underestimating him. He does not have "throwing limitations". In fact, if you look at the games he has played in, he can make all the throws, is accurate, and gets the ball where only the reciever can make the play. He is the type of QB, that is not going to hurt the offense and make the "brain explosion" type passes that hurt the Raiders last year. Quite a few fans wont like it because it will take some excitement out of the game. A ground-it-out, ball control offense.

But hey, if it works and gets the 'W', right? Well, historically, not with the Raiders. Raider fans want the highlight reel but how well did that go last year? They will want Pryor who will make a 50 TD yard play while the offense gets 60 yards through 3 quarters and is behind 30-7 going into the last quarter. We have had that for the last 30 years (except for a brief excursion in 1999-2002), and it has not worked.

The one thing that will bring Olson's offense unstuck is if the running game does not get going. Teams know what the Raiders want to do, it is up to Olson to make it work. It may not be pretty but it may bring results. I would rather 4-4 at the half-way stage using the pound-and-grind move the chains offense than 1-7 highlight reel offense. Maybe that's just me.
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio

coogi is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    This^^^^

IMO if wilson doesnt win the job in camp he likely wont be ready this year at all...flynn may flame out and wilson may get thrown in but if he isnt turning heads in camp he may just need some time on the bench...its alot to ask of any rookie QB especially a mid round guy to be ready year one..once camp starts we can get a much better feel about how ready wilson is and if flynn can fend of the young guys...i cant wait for camp

Mr Terrific is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    We all know Reggie isn't afraid to pull the trigger if you can't play. The reason why DVD, DHB, Mike Mitchell etc.. are gone. He didn't draft them and I can foresee more to come..

As for the QB camp. No jobs are won or lost in the off season. We won't know the QB rotation until the coaching staff evaluations of all the QBs.

Hall of Famer

I,m also one that is a fan of TW.I really like the potential and character we,ve seen in the very limited window so far.That said I,d be shocked if he starts even if he plays on par with Flynn in camp and preseason.Allen and Co seem content on bringing guys along slowly,not that its a bad thing depending on the situation.Add in we went out and got Flynn,his contract,etc and Flynn seems destined to start.I personally think Wilson would be best to start on the bench.A young QB on an all around solid team has a decent chance of success.Throw a young QB in the fire for an uproven and rebuilding team and he could be ruined.Then again alot of great ones have suffered double digit losses to start careers and turned out ok as long as the supporting cast improved with the QB.If the run game is rolling and Wilson happens to look that impressive he may see some action at some point,just not at the start of the season imo.
    you can't find one post by me saying I have Knapp's back.
    This is why I have Knapps back
    No one owes woodson sh!t and I'm not sure he will ever see the HOF

All-Pro

They are not going to put in "Pryor specific" packages simply because he cannot execute.
    You sound pretty sure about this but from what i have read and heard from coaches and RM " i like what the coaches are doing with pryor" , they will have offense packages just for Pryor , do remember they brought in Olsen cause he is known to put player in the best position to succeed according to thee talents.

Just like they are gonna have plays that fit Flynns style of play because he cant throw a deep ball that great so it will be a lot of 10-20 yard throws and dump offs to the RB , we all know this so why would he not do the same for another QB on the roster that has a diff skill set?

you got burned son!

All-Pro
    Wow, you should go into politics for whatever party you support as a 'spin doctor'.

"Potential to start in the NFL". This does not even say any of the 4 could start for the Raiders, just that they have "potential" to start for a team in the NFL. In the breakdown of the QB's the article says that Pryor will "be able to battle for the staring job" and Wilson "has all the makings of a starting quarterback". As I said it talks about their "possibilities" but does not have either of them starting.
    I stand corrected , and my bad for using the wrong word but according to you 2 of the 4 QB could start for this time come season opener but the other 2 cant and 1 of them forsure wont

spin doctor huh? i like the sound of that

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman56 View Post
    I,m also one that is a fan of TW.I really like the potential and character we,ve seen in the very limited window so far.That said I,d be shocked if he starts even if he plays on par with Flynn in camp and preseason.Allen and Co seem content on bringing guys along slowly,not that its a bad thing depending on the situation.Add in we went out and got Flynn,his contract,etc and Flynn seems destined to start.I personally think Wilson would be best to start on the bench.A young QB on an all around solid team has a decent chance of success.Throw a young QB in the fire for an uproven and rebuilding team and he could be ruined.Then again alot of great ones have suffered double digit losses to start careers and turned out ok as long as the supporting cast improved with the QB.If the run game is rolling and Wilson happens to look that impressive he may see some action at some point,just not at the start of the season imo.
    I am going out on a limb with this prediction, that's for sure. Maybe some wishful thinking as well. I do like what we have seen of this young man so far as you mentioned. I figure we are gonna get lucky someday and draft a special talent that nobody (including us) saw coming. He's a smart kid and has the skill set to work from. Fingers crossed...
    Rainman56 likes this.
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

RaiderHawg is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    I believe Wilson shows enough in pre season to be named starter by week one.

He'll make rookie mistakes Flynn wouldn't, but the extra zip on the ball gives the offense an advantage Flynn can't provide. Better to go through the growing pains with the rookie who has the better upside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information