Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree767Likes

Thread: Does Terrelle Pryor Deserve a Shot at Starting Quarterback??????

killah_k is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro

Official TERRELLE PRYOR Talk, Training Camp/Preseason Edition Thread

Does Terrelle Pryor Deserve a Shot at Starting Quarterback - Just Blog Baby - An Oakland Raiders Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Flashback to Week 17 of the 2012 NFL Season. The Oakland Raiders season and the Carson Palmer Experiment in Oakland was officially over for weeks and the Raiders decided to finish off their season by giving former Ohio State star Terrelle Pryor his first NFL start. One of college football’s most dynamic mobile quarterbacks before a scandal ended his career at OSU, Pryor did not disappoint with a chance to showcase his skills and to end his second NFL season in Oakland on a high note.
    The Raiders may have lost the game but Pryor was on point on that final Sunday of 2012. His final numbers were solid, 13 completions for 150 yards, two passing touchdowns and the expected rushing touchdown and 49 yards as he kept the Raiders in the game and gave them a chance to win.

With some decent preseason showings, the opinion is out there that Pryor could perform as a starter, but the question is if Pryor will ever actually get that chance after losing his NCAA eligibility and then missing the first five games of his rookie season under an NFL mandated suspension.

This offseason presents Pryor’s best and perhaps last chance to slide his way into a starting role and attempt to prove himself as a legitimate starting quarterback option in the NFL.

With the trade of Carson Palmer to Arizona, the Raiders have four unproven quarterbacks coming to training camp as Matt Flynn, rookie draft pick Tyler Wilson and undrafted free agent Matt McGloin will be Pryor’s competition at camp leaving the window open for any combination of Flynn, Pryor, and Wilson on the depth chart as a possibility.

Flynn will be coming into training camp as the favorite and as one of the Raiders more flashier offseason transactions and the man given the nod as Carson Palmer’s replacement will have the job to lose. Throw in the fact that Flynn has looked pretty damn good in his two only NFL starts and the fact that Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen will likely not want to have to answer to the fact they spent money on a guy who lost his job to Russell Wilson last year and then lost his job again and you can easily see Flynn being a lock at the moment.

But it doesn’t mean it is right or that Pryor doesn’t deserve a shot. Blessed with a lot of “intangibles” that scouts love, Pryor has far more weapons than Matt Flynn has. One of the most explosive quarterbacks during his stay in Columbus, Pryor was a dazzling leader of a Big Ten powerhouse before everything went sour and it is easy to forget how high people were on Pryor before he turned into the scapegoat of Ohio State’s probation.

We are talking about a player who as a junior threw for 2772 passing yards and 27 touchdowns while rushing for 773 yards while doing it for Ohio State in the Big Ten A man who the great Al Davis honored by being his last pick in the 2011 NFL Supplemental Draft.

It is undeniable that Pryor has the potential to be an unique NFL talent, at his highest he good be a mobile 6′ 5″ quarterback that can run the 40 yard dash in under 4.5 seconds and can run an offense while being able to make things happen on broken plays. At the very least, Pryor is a change of pace if Flynn or rookie Tyler Wilson prove they can’t make things happen in the pocket.

Pryor’s career has been derailed ever since the memorabilia scandal ruled Ohio State out of bowl games and prevented Pryor from a senior season of development or the chance of being a high draft pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Now heading into his third season and training camp as a pro, Pryor has at least four more chances in preseason games to show that he can be a playmaker in the NFL on a consistent basis.

2013 will be a defining year for Terrelle Pryor. With the Raiders expected to struggle we will see where Pryor stands with Dennis Allen, Greg Olsen and Reggie McKenzie if the team decides not to go with Pryor if Flynn can’t do the job.

Pryor’s Week 17 performance last season showed that what we all saw in Columbus is still in Pryor’s back pocket, waiting to be used and harnessed. Whether he can ever find a way to be dominant in the pro game remains to be seen, but he deserves a chance. It just might not be in Oakland as the drafting of Tyler Wilson and the acquiring of Matt Flynn point towards a long term rebuilding vision that just does not include the last draft choice of Al Davis and one of college football’s former brightest stars.
    yes yes yes he deserves a chance , a fair one at that and he will get it in pre season and he will LIGHT IT UP and they will have no choice but to make him the starter or give him a hand full of plays a game.
    Last edited by killah_k; 07-22-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: to make this official TP thread so i=others wont be started
    Trainlikeaproap likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by killah_k View Post
    Does Terrelle Pryor Deserve a Shot at Starting Quarterback - Just Blog Baby - An Oakland Raiders Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

yes yes yes he deserves a chance , a fair one at that and he will get it in pre season and he will LIGHT IT UP and they will have no choice but to make him the starter or give him a hand full of plays a game.
    Why does it show this was originally posted by me? because it wasnt.

Of course he deserves a chance just like McGloin, Wilson and any other QB we happen to acquire. IMO Flynn, Wilson and McGloin can probably run the offense better. Pryor has the better chance to make a play with his legs but until i see or hear of his passing improving I have to believe hes at the bottom of the depth chart
    Black Sabbath80 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by killah_k View Post
    Just like he did last preseason, right? And then when he doesn't tear it up against other team's backups and practice squad players, you, and every other Pryor supporter will find another excuse to make for him and then focus on only 25% of his performances where he does do well and ride that right into the ground.

Yawwwnnn

101proofRdrFan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    When he deserves a chance he will get it enough said.

Mr Terrific is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    OH yes

He also deserves a shot at being an emergency quarterback if he continues to show no improvement in his game.

Hall of Famer
    What kind of sick bastard....

This thread is gonna be sweet
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    you can't find one post by me saying I have Knapp's back.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    This is why I have Knapps back

rex388 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Should get atleast 100+ posts.

Don't get me wrong I love what he is doing and his work ethic so I pull for him a bit. But at the end of the day I just want the best qb playing.

Hall of Famer
    Yes let's see if he has improved any.

Hall of Famer
    You mean the organization isn't giving him a shot at starting QB? Seems awfully strange to keep a QB on the roster that you don't want to give a shot at starting unless Reggie really loves messing with the kid's head.

max modem is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Pryor is starting one way or another, at some point. Beyond preseason. It's just a matter of waiting.

Did/ does he get a "fair" shot?, no. He's going to get his shot under adverse circumstances which is a shame.

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by max modem View Post
    Pryor is starting one way or another, at some point. Beyond preseason. It's just a matter of waiting.

Did/ does he get a "fair" shot?, no. He's going to get his shot under adverse circumstances which is a shame.
    I doubt he will ever start here. He might not even make final cuts. The other 3 QB fit a certain mold. Pryor style is not the same as the other 3. From all reports I have received he has not progressed in the areas that he needed to. DA has stated on many occasions he is not there yet. He has been here 3 years and is still making the same mistakes.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NWTF View Post
    Why does it show this was originally posted by me? because it wasn't.

Of course he deserves a chance just like McGloin, Wilson and any other QB we happen to acquire. IMO Flynn, Wilson and McGloin can probably run the offense better. Pryor has the better chance to make a play with his legs but until i see or hear of his passing improving I have to believe hes at the bottom of the depth chart

It says it was edited by you and im not sure why , probably cause i went to a forum and and a comment by you and clicked reply with quote and copy and pasted the code not know your name was in it sorry about that , if the moderators can fix that for me please do.

Now....what are you basing this off of ? have you seen Wilson or Mcgloin run the raider offense in a game yet? i know i have seen TP run it and he did a decent job and will improve on it , i think the players would rally around him more.

and he isn't at the bottom of the bottom of the depth chart , he is currently number 2.....not number 4 so keep dreaming

max modem is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider Ran View Post
    I doubt he will ever start here. He might not even make final cuts. The other 3 QB fit a certain mold. Pryor style is not the same as the other 3. From all reports I have received he has not progressed in the areas that he needed to. DA has stated on many occasions he is not there yet. He has been here 3 years and is still making the same mistakes.
    Definitely respect your insider info but at the same time I don't trust DA's analysis at all. Leinart was ready? Yeah. I'm confident he'll make the roster and start at some point during the season. But the fact that you didn't quote "He has been here 3 years and is still making the same mistakes," leads me to believe that you're on page with DA. I'm not. Pardon but I need a coach who supports him to correct those mistakes, if thus so. And what does that say about "coach?" And why haven't they cut him already if he's hopeless?

Cut him then.

Hall of Famer
    I'd still like to see him run some routes.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    Just like he did last preseason, right? And then when he doesn't tear it up against other team's backups and practice squad players, you, and every other Pryor supporter will find another excuse to make for him and then focus on only 25% of his performances where he does do well and ride that right into the ground.

Yawwwnnn

He had a rating of 92.1!!! Compared to Lienhart's 56.6, or Palmer's 45.3 rating.....and i dont care if it was against 2nd or 3rd stringers it was still a NFL defense.....that right there should have at leastmoved him up to 2nd on the depth chart last year......if your tired then go take a nap
    Trainlikeaproap likes this.

Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information