Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: raiders talking to holmgen

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by cat444 View Post
    holmgren was a good HC at greene-bay and seatle but a poor GM at cleveland
    He wasn't the GM, he was the team president. And the Browns are in much better shape now than they were in 2010 when he got there. He'd likely still be there is Lerner hadn't sold the team.
    RAIDERS64 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    True that. While I agree with those saying our stadium sucks, it is better than the Stick. Though I do have a soft place in my heart for the stick as I grew up going to Giants games there. A lot of good memories of that place watching baseball ( and I was there for Tim Browns OT winner as well ).
    I agree, it was a pleasure in the late 70`s early 80`s going to Giants games when the Dodgers came up and usually thumped the Giants.(and there were more of us Dodger fans than Giants fans) I loved every Willie McCovey swing (and miss) but the crowd went "ohhhh". ;)

Back to topic, what`s the big deal with the Raiders entertaining more prospects in the front office? Most have been pissing and moaning for years for Al to catch up with the league and now that we see signs of actual progression, some have their panties in a bunch. I don`t GOS about anything other than seeing improvement of the product on the field and hopefully seeing the Raiders stay HOME in Oakland.
    Crazy Canuck likes this.
    Ted Nugent being interviewed by a British journalist.
    The journalist asked, "What do you think the last thought is in the head of a deer before you shoot it? Is it, `Are you my friend?` or is it `Are you the one who killed my brother?'"

Nugent replied, "They aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, 'What am I going to eat next, who am I going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away. They are very much like the French in that way."

Almaden is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderjohn622 View Post
    QWest or whatever it was called was under construction between 2000-2002. Funding/state wide election was held June 1997. Holmgren started his Seahawk tenure in 1999. Given his hand as GM and HC, doubt he had the time to invest on the stadium side of things, but it seems everything for the stadium was set in place by the time he got to Seattle.
    Thanks for answering that. It also occurred to me that the Raiders effort to bring in a senior exec of Holmgren's stature, or of that other guy, Ray what's his face from the NFL may signal that Amy is ready to smell the roses. She's been with the Raiders her entire career. Started as intern, then attorney, then CEO. Working for Al all those years had to be a grind. 365, 24/7. With all the works she's done, and the huge tasks ahead, it would not surprise me if she quietly suggested to Mark that its time to bring in a new CEO/Team president.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Holmgren would be a great addition to this organization.

Even if he doesn't weigh in on a single decision - stadium, personnel, coaches, playbooks, anything. He immediately adds an element of legitimacy that this organization needs as we try to build and recruit premier talent.

I welcome this move if true.
    Chiefhater, Marzan, CTEX and 3 others like this.

Hall of Famer
    First of all Mckenzie will be making the personell decisions. We would be lucky to get someone of Holmgrens respectability in the front office, its crazy that whatever the Raiders do is never good enough for some on here

Luca_Brasi is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    The Browns are in much better shape now than befor Holmgren got there.

Holmgren has this presence about him, when he is in a room you know he is there, when he walks in you sit up straight and you watch your language.

Lets get it done.
    RAIDERS64 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Holmgren in Oakland.....

I think I like it.
    RAIDERS64 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    whoever does NOT like this move ..is simply just an idiot... about time we bring in proven people to help out this mess out even more...about time we bring in respectable nfl minds that will help evaluate the players and get this boat up and running the right way....im fully convinced that there are some fans out there that are just so use to the losing culture that they have no more confidence in anything that happens here on out....RM is doing the best he can with what he has currently and i personally think he is doing a good job....time will come were the raiders will be on top again....
    r8derd likes this.

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    We need a better stadium
    Its called marketing
    possibly host a Superbowl with a better venue
    NFL games are all about the fan experience, full stadiums and now security
    The HOT sadly is none of that.
    Maybe holmgren could help make that happen.
    r8derd likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by XRamfan View Post
    I agree, it was a pleasure in the late 70`s early 80`s going to Giants games when the Dodgers came up and usually thumped the Giants.(and there were more of us Dodger fans than Giants fans) I loved every Willie McCovey swing (and miss) but the crowd went "ohhhh". ;)

Back to topic, what`s the big deal with the Raiders entertaining more prospects in the front office? Most have been pissing and moaning for years for Al to catch up with the league and now that we see signs of actual progression, some have their panties in a bunch. I don`t GOS about anything other than seeing improvement of the product on the field and hopefully seeing the Raiders stay HOME in Oakland.
    ahh man, a Dodgers fan? Well I guess not everyone can be as perfect as me.... And the BEAST!
    JohnnyRaider likes this.

prolific is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raidersx127 View Post
    About a leadership role. I don't like this. He has sucked in every leadership role he has been in
    Well you're completely clueless huh?

Anyway, this would be a great addition (understatement?) Finally, the possibility of the front office actually resembling a front office.

Hall of Famer
    Hard thing to have an opinion about from the outside. On the one hand, Holmgren has been around, made his mark, and may be just the guy to have a steady hand and take the broad view, letting Reggie do his thing with the exception when he sees Reggie's inexperience may be pointing him off track. They worked together before, so maybe there is a real chemistry.

On the other hand, Holmgren has been around, has made his mark, and may be just the guy to figure that Reggie is now his little underling like he was in green bay. There may be chemistry before, but maybe not the right kind.

For this kind of thing you have to know the personalities of these people and how they fit. Could be great, could be a real step back.

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by corleone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raidersx127 View Post
    About a leadership role. I don't like this. He has sucked in every leadership role he has been in
    Taking two franchises to Super Bowls is sucking?

Wonder if RM is leaning on Holmgren for advice on Gino Smith.
    Holmgren might be the last guy u want to ask for QB advice

corleone is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj Diesel View Post
    Brett Favre was no slouch.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj Diesel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by corleone View Post
    Brett Favre was no slouch.