Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Carson Palmer: Any truth do we think?

Chairman of the Board

Carson Palmer: Any truth do we think?

Friday Buzz: Carson Palmer, Russell Wilson & more | National Football Post

*Word out of Oakland is Carson Palmerís rib and lung injuries may be even worse than reported. In part because of the injury, some of the big dogs in Oakland are saying they donít expect Palmer to return in 2013. That will put the Raiders squarely in the middle of what looks to be a very mediocre quarterback market.
    I damn well hope not, but it makes more sense why the Raiders are talking to QBs at the combine...

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor
    Chairman of the Board
    I have no idea.

Sig by Nexx

This is blood for blood and by the gallons. These are the old days man, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back! There's no choices left. And I'm ready for war.

Hall of Famer
    That was back in the end of December. I am pretty sure that RM has confirmed that Palmer is going to be 100% health-wise for next season. Expect him to be back!

StickShift is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKiev View Post
    Expect him to be back!
    ...after a big fat pay cut.
    Dirt Dog likes this.

Hall of Famer
    I think Dennis Allen said he expects Palmer to be healthy. But with the draft and free agency approaching we are into the lying season..... you don't want anyone to know if you have a need at a position for fear that they will try to trade above you in any given round to nab the player you wanted.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKiev View Post
    That was back in the end of December. I am pretty sure that RM has confirmed that Palmer is going to be 100% health-wise for next season. Expect him to be back!
    I know it was back in December, but a few people "in the know" have stated that the Raiders are looking seriously at QBs in this draft.
    I'm just wondering why?

Was the injury that bad?
    Are the Raiders wanting to make a clear break with the past?

If Palmer is fine, I'd be trying damn hard to trade him...for a 1st round choice, or at least a 2nd and 3rd.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bram Raider View Post
    I know it was back in December, but a few people "in the know" have stated that the Raiders are looking seriously at QBs in this draft.
    I'm just wondering why?

Was the injury that bad?

If Palmer is fine, I'd be trying damn hard to trade him...for a 1st round choice, or at least a 2nd and 3rd.
    I would take a first round choice or a 2nd and 3rd for Palmer. But do you think anyone wants to trade for him with that contract? I think he is a good QB, but I think he is overpaid (that's a familiar statement when talking about the Raiders). Overpaid guys are awfully hard to trade.
    Metallica0688 and IERaiderFan like this.

Chairman of the Board
    I'm just wondering why?

Was the injury that bad?

I dont see why Palmers health would effect what we do in the draft. Even if hes 100% healthy its time for the Raiders to look for a QB. If we dont find one this year then we most likely look even harder next year. Palmers contract and age say that the Raiders HAVE to look hard for a QB. Not to play right now as the starter but for a year or two down the road when it likely becomes more viable to get rid of Palmer.

j_sizzle is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    This article has already been discredited and the thread should end here.
    milo_s_thomas and rise421 like this.

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    yea that article is from last year

Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    The effort was there though...
    Hala Madrid | MCFC | Torino

The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last, the great battle of our time.

uglyorc is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

People refuse to admit the obvious about Pryor

They arent counting on Pryor. A lot of people refuse to accept that but its reality. They are looking at QBs in the draft because they are trying to improve the team and they arent sold on Pryor neither as the starter now nor as the future. Then you have Palmer's contract and health concerns in addition to that. I expect Palmer to be the starter unless we draft Smith or Barkley. Even with Palmer starting though they'd like to develop a QB and Pryor doesnt look like the future.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyorc View Post
    They arent counting on Pryor. A lot of people refuse to accept that but its reality. They are looking at QBs in the draft because they are trying to improve the team and they arent sold on Pryor neither as the starter now nor as the future. Then you have Palmer's contract and health concerns in addition to that. I expect Palmer to be the starter unless we draft Smith or Barkley. Even with Palmer starting though they'd like to develop a QB and Pryor doesnt look like the future.
    or maybe they're looking for 3rd stringer?

uglyorc is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

I'm not saying Pryor will be cut

Quote Originally Posted by TDraiders View Post
    or maybe they're looking for 3rd stringer?
    You dont look for a third string player period. You look someone with the potential to become a starter. I'm not saying Pryor will be cut. I'm saying the team isnt sold on him.

Okie is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I'm just wondering why?

Was the injury that bad?

Ill tell you exactly why:

2013 - $15,335,000
    2014 - $17,335,000
    2015 - $17,335,000
    2016 - $17,335,000

And for that amount of money you've gotten:

8 wins - 16 losses
    30 interceptions to only 35 Touchdowns

Thats alot of money for a guy who hasnt been the difference maker the previous regime had hoped. Now, there are alot of variables that affect his numbers here and you can argue that the previous two years had extenuating circumstances but if you look at his entire career, you dont see a big difference than what we see now. The guy has a career record (54-67 i think) and his last great season was 7 years ago!

The numbers just dont add up, especially when you are talking about a team that is in rebuild mode. Keeping Palmer at his salary literally makes as much since as keeping Bey at his. If the realists are right, this team has a ton of holes and is 2 or 3 years away from being competitive, thats over 50 million we have paid a QB to help us maintain our below mediocrity. Does that make since from a business standpoint? On top of that, if we are 2 or 3 years out, down the road is Palmer going to get better and is he then going to be worth the 17 million he will be making?

It just doesnt make sense if this team is legitimately trying to rebuild.

But then again, maybe your opinion is like mine. I honestly believe this team is not as far form competitiveness as most think. Combine a healthy McFadden with a downhill running game, keep Palmer and with the exact same roster we have on offense (maybe add an OL or two) and i almost guarantee you this is a top 10 or 12 offense. Now, if Palmer limits his turnovers, then your talking about a .500 or better team depending on the defense and how often we put them back on the field (ie...decision making, turnovers). For this reason, i am not opposed to keeping Palmer one more year but in that same breath, im not opposed to starting over and obtaining a couple or three starting caliber players for the same price tag we pay one QB now.

Make two brackets, pros/cons and there are alot mroe reasons to dump Carson than there is to keep him when relating to the current state of our franchise. As ive said before, ultimately its going to boil down to Reggies opinion on whether this team can realistically be competitive or not. That will dictate the decision to keep or dump Carson. If the injury is really a concern, thats just another justification to let him go and move on.
    Dirt Dog likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information