Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: Raiders' QB quandary: Carson Palmer, Terrelle Pryor or neither?

Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Raiders' QB quandary: Carson Palmer, Terrelle Pryor or neither?

The Oakland Raiders have some decisions to make at the game's most important position. Starting quarterback Carson Palmer is scheduled to make $13 million in the 2013 campaign, an extremely high number for a player on the downside of his career. If you were in the shoes of general manager Reggie McKenzie and head coach Dennis Allen, would you cut Palmer, renegotiate his deal, hand the keys to backup Terrelle Pryor or go after a QB in free agency or the draft?

Adam Schein
    Cut the cord on Palmer and make a trade for Flynn. Carson Palmer isn't worth $3 million, let alone $13 million. He's a turnover machine on the downside of his career. I wouldn't even renegotiate. I would simply cut the cord. He represents an ill-conceived, foolish, failed attempt by former coach Hue Jackson to keep his job while tossing away precious draft picks. Carson Palmer is shot.

I think Reggie McKenzie should trade for Seattle Seahawks QB Matt Flynn. They were together in Green Bay. The compensation won't be too much. He will compete with Pryor -- and beat him out.

I like Geno Smith more than most, but he isn't the third-best player in the draft. With so many needs, I wouldn't address the quarterback position in Round 1. On the other hand, picking Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater next year ...

Charley Casserly
    Palmer remains the best option for Oakland. I would renegotiate Carson Palmer's contract and keep him under center. I still think he can be effective. I was never sold on Terrelle Pryor, and I don't know who the Raiders could bring in as a better option.

If Palmer hits the open market, he will have suitors. Put him in Kansas City and the Chiefs become an immediate playoff contender.

Jason Smith
    Time for a complete makeover at the game's most important position. It's obvious Carson Palmer is on the downside of his career, and he's not going to be around for the eventual (hopeful) rebirth of the Raiders. He's still good, but he's not what he was. I'm never a big fan of postponing the future; when it's time to move on, it's time to move on. Not next year, but now.

If I'm Oakland, here's what I do this season: Everything suggested by this question. I embark on an Extreme Quarterback Makeover. I even bring in Ty Pennington to help, bullhorn and all. I give a ton of reps to Terrelle Pryor and go into the season with him as my No. 1 QB. In free agency, I pursue a veteran who can play if he has to. Granted, it's going to be someone like Chase Daniel or Tyler Thigpen, but you can only sign whoever's out there. Then I go into the draft and come out with a potential QB of the future. I'm not spending a high pick on the position, because the Raiders have too many needs and there will be a few players available outside of the first couple rounds who might turn into something. It could be EJ Manuel, it could be Landry Jones.

If I could accomplish all of that, I'd be very happy.

Adam Rank
    Raiders must look to the future: Give Pryor a shot and draft a QB. How about a combination of all of the above? The Raiders really need to make a move for the future of the franchise, and it's Terrelle Pryor, not Carson Palmer.

The Raiders need to renegotiate Palmer's deal immediately. His cap number is far too high for a guy on the backside of his career. If Palmer declines, wish him well in his future endeavors and tell him to enjoy watching Raiders games from Wahoo's Fish Tacos in San Clemente, Calif., this season, because he won't be on the team. Even if Palmer agrees to restructure his deal, he should compete for the starting gig with Pryor. I'm not ready to say Pryor is the savior of the Raiders franchise, but he should be afforded every opportunity to prove himself.

As added insurance, the Raiders should look for a quarterback in the middle rounds of the draft. The Raiders have a lot of needs in the draft (thanks to the Palmer trade), but if a player like Tyler Bray, Ryan Nassib or Matt Scott is available in the fourth round or so, the team should take a flier in case Pryor doesn't work out.

Raiders' QB quandary: Carson Palmer, Terrelle Pryor or neither? - NFL.com

Who do you agree with?
    Dirt Dog likes this.
    Hala Madrid | MCFC | Torino

The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last, the great battle of our time.

Hall of Famer
    I'm pretty much gonna barf if Jason is right and we go into the season with Pryor starting with Tyler Thigpen as backup.

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Adam schein all day
    Raider Loyalist and R8rHead like this.

coogi is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    id go with the guy who used to be an NFL GM

Hall of Famer
    A quarterback looks awfully good when they are not running for their lives, getting hit and sacked. The problem on this team is not Carson Palmer. This team has so many holes, some suggested calling them the Swiss Cheese Raiders or referring to them in divine context as holier than thou.

In either event that's a "hole" lot of problems. You are only as strong as your weakest link. However, you can look competitive if the lines, offensive and defensive are sound. That's where the work should go.

I think Veldheer and Wiz are going to be solid players. However, the rest? No all pros and journeymen protecting your most important player and opening or not opening "holes" for the running game.

Palmer is not old by any means and is as young as Gannon when he joined the Raiders. He has 5 years to play and if you keep protected, give him a running game, the offense will improve dramatically.

On defense, if the other team can't run they have to throw. With a dominant or competitive line you can punish the quarterback.

The focus should be the lines, both sides.

Obviously, there are much more needs, linebacker, corners (2), safety, blocking back. However, start with the trenches.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClapsPlease View Post
    Adam schein all day
    Have you watched Flynn play? Or are you just going off the hype of his one great game.
    Flynn couldnít beat out Jamarcus Russell at LSU. He also couldnít beat out a pretty limited rookie in Russell Wilson last year. (yes I know by the end of the year Wilson looked good, but he was very limited early in the year) Flynn has a weak arm. If you havenít watched it, go look at the you-tube of Flynn against the Lions. The numbers were great, but I saw nothing that really impressed me that much.

Just say no to Flynn.
    Oakland3:16 likes this.

Raiderfans.net

Staff Writer
    Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
    A quarterback looks awfully good when they are not running for their lives, getting hit and sacked. The problem on this team is not Carson Palmer. This team has so many holes, some suggested calling them the Swiss Cheese Raiders or referring to them in divine context as holier than thou.

In either event that's a "hole" lot of problems. You are only as strong as your weakest link. However, you can look competitive if the lines, offensive and defensive are sound. That's where the work should go.

I think Veldheer and Wiz are going to be solid players. However, the rest? No all pros and journeymen protecting your most important player and opening or not opening "holes" for the running game.

Palmer is not old by any means and is as young as Gannon when he joined the Raiders. He has 5 years to play and if you keep protected, give him a running game, the offense will improve dramatically.

On defense, if the other team can't run they have to throw. With a dominant or competitive line you can punish the quarterback.

The focus should be the lines, both sides.

Obviously, there are much more needs, linebacker, corners (2), safety, blocking back. However, start with the trenches.
    Precisely... build the trenches and the rest of the team will improve. Look at the two Super Bowl teams this year.
    HurrikaneSensei likes this.
    follow me on Twitter: @ChrisMcClain

Hall of Famer
    We already owe our second rounder for Palmer this year, but Schein suggest cutting him and trading more picks for Flynn, and of course we still owe money to Palmer and Flynn has a big contract himself we would have to pick up.

Sounds idiotic to me, we have serious holes to fill on this team that don't have anything to do with the QB position, hope we concentrate on that for now and leave the QB position alone.
    Oakland3:16, CTEX and rise421 like this.

Hall of Famer
    Schein annoys.... of course he fails to mention what he had in mind we'd be giving up. Last time I checked, Flynn was traded to become the starter and couldn't win the job... but he is supposed to be an upgrade from Palmer. Look, I'm not saying that Palmer hold some sort of Elite status and I certainly don't deny the fact that he is way over paid and that it was probably the worst trade in NFL history (value wise)... but because of those factors the guy gets a bad rap when he is a very serviceable QB who will be top 15 in stats every year. As the team improves, he would too... if Palmer is willing to take a pay cut you have to take a hard look at it.

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor
    Hall of Famer
    I'd go with what Pat Kirwan said: Bring Palmer in, offer him 5M to be the teams QB this year. He either says yes and we save a bundle or he says no and he tries the free agent market. Kirwan guessed that after about an hour of free agency Palmer would come back and accept the 5M, cause he won't get it anywhere else.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever...

raiderluv is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabbulous View Post
    The Oakland Raiders have some decisions to make at the game's most important position. Starting quarterback Carson Palmer is scheduled to make $13 million in the 2013 campaign, an extremely high number for a player on the downside of his career. If you were in the shoes of general manager Reggie McKenzie and head coach Dennis Allen, would you cut Palmer, renegotiate his deal, hand the keys to backup Terrelle Pryor or go after a QB in free agency or the draft?

Adam Schein
    Cut the cord on Palmer and make a trade for Flynn. Carson Palmer isn't worth $3 million, let alone $13 million. He's a turnover machine on the downside of his career. I wouldn't even renegotiate. I would simply cut the cord. He represents an ill-conceived, foolish, failed attempt by former coach Hue Jackson to keep his job while tossing away precious draft picks. Carson Palmer is shot.

I think Reggie McKenzie should trade for Seattle Seahawks QB Matt Flynn. They were together in Green Bay. The compensation won't be too much. He will compete with Pryor -- and beat him out.

I like Geno Smith more than most, but he isn't the third-best player in the draft. With so many needs, I wouldn't address the quarterback position in Round 1. On the other hand, picking Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater next year ...

Charley Casserly
    Palmer remains the best option for Oakland. I would renegotiate Carson Palmer's contract and keep him under center. I still think he can be effective. I was never sold on Terrelle Pryor, and I don't know who the Raiders could bring in as a better option.

If Palmer hits the open market, he will have suitors. Put him in Kansas City and the Chiefs become an immediate playoff contender.

Jason Smith
    Time for a complete makeover at the game's most important position. It's obvious Carson Palmer is on the downside of his career, and he's not going to be around for the eventual (hopeful) rebirth of the Raiders. He's still good, but he's not what he was. I'm never a big fan of postponing the future; when it's time to move on, it's time to move on. Not next year, but now.

If I'm Oakland, here's what I do this season: Everything suggested by this question. I embark on an Extreme Quarterback Makeover. I even bring in Ty Pennington to help, bullhorn and all. I give a ton of reps to Terrelle Pryor and go into the season with him as my No. 1 QB. In free agency, I pursue a veteran who can play if he has to. Granted, it's going to be someone like Chase Daniel or Tyler Thigpen, but you can only sign whoever's out there. Then I go into the draft and come out with a potential QB of the future. I'm not spending a high pick on the position, because the Raiders have too many needs and there will be a few players available outside of the first couple rounds who might turn into something. It could be EJ Manuel, it could be Landry Jones.

If I could accomplish all of that, I'd be very happy.

Adam Rank
    Raiders must look to the future: Give Pryor a shot and draft a QB. How about a combination of all of the above? The Raiders really need to make a move for the future of the franchise, and it's Terrelle Pryor, not Carson Palmer.

The Raiders need to renegotiate Palmer's deal immediately. His cap number is far too high for a guy on the backside of his career. If Palmer declines, wish him well in his future endeavors and tell him to enjoy watching Raiders games from Wahoo's Fish Tacos in San Clemente, Calif., this season, because he won't be on the team. Even if Palmer agrees to restructure his deal, he should compete for the starting gig with Pryor. I'm not ready to say Pryor is the savior of the Raiders franchise, but he should be afforded every opportunity to prove himself.

As added insurance, the Raiders should look for a quarterback in the middle rounds of the draft. The Raiders have a lot of needs in the draft (thanks to the Palmer trade), but if a player like Tyler Bray, Ryan Nassib or Matt Scott is available in the fourth round or so, the team should take a flier in case Pryor doesn't work out.

Raiders' QB quandary: Carson Palmer, Terrelle Pryor or neither? - NFL.com

Who do you agree with?
    I say we keep Palmer only if he redoes his contract! About $6 million sounds right, If not Terrell Pryor here we come

RAIDERS64 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Might as well cut him now since we are rebuilding , Carson is not a leader .Let the kid run wild while we figure things out ..... Chit! We may get lucky, If not look at the bright side , we'll have a good first rnd pick for next year.

EDIT
    LOL, Aren't we all glad I'm not the GM

mad stork 83 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRaider View Post
    I'd go with what Pat Kirwan said: Bring Palmer in, offer him 5M to be the teams QB this year. He either says yes and we save a bundle or he says no and he tries the free agent market. Kirwan guessed that after about an hour of free agency Palmer would come back and accept the 5M, cause he won't get it anywhere else.
    I am pretty sure that Palmer would get much more than 5M on the open market. I think people are really underestimating his value. JMO.

uglyorc is online now Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

Its Palmer or Smith

Flynn might have made sense if Knapp was still here but it doesnt make any sense now that we've begun changing back to a simuliar offense we had under Jackson/Saunders. Flynn is clearly a system QB and that system is the WCO.

Palmer is better than any FA on the market and he's far better than Pryor. Pryor isnt really an option yet IMO. That means its either Palmer or a rookie. The only rookies I feel are ready to start are Smith and Barkley. Barkley like Flynn looks more like a Knapp guy than an Olsen guy. So to me its either restructure Palmer's contract (best option) or draft Smith.

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mad stork 83 View Post
    I am pretty sure that Palmer would get much more than 5M on the open market. I think people are really underestimating his value. JMO.
    no, i think you and others are just overestimating his value.
    DustInTheWind likes this.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information