Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Greg olsen doesnt see a #1 WR on roster

KEVIN WYNNE is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by danax View Post
    Wouldn't having a group of receivers who are about the same be an advantage? As Olson said, it's harder to defend when the ball could go to any one of the WRs, or McFadden or Reece or Myers on any down. Having the so-called #1 receiver makes it sometimes obvious who to ball is going to in certain situations, although having someone double-teamed is also an advantage.
    The only reason Olson said that is because we do not have a true #1 receiver

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabbulous View Post
    Still jumping so the ball hits your chest when you shouldn't have to leave your feet means he has bad hands. Although he is making progress and not relying on his chest as much, I hope he keeps improving.
    Yep he still does that ****. He is improving and is more physical than any of the other guys. We have a squad of mediocre WR. Streater and Criner might be the best 2 on the roster, but they are still a bit raw and the jury is out on them for sure also.
    Fabbulous likes this.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

RavenRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Live.B.A.Raida View Post
    We have different opinions but I will say this; DHB is the only reciever on this team who has shown he can be a big play threat AFTER catching the ball. He is the only reciever who can break tackles and turn a short catch in to a TD.
    yeah too bad all those little WR screens went to streater last year.

RavenRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Live.B.A.Raida View Post
    Funny the only stats I could find on DHB's drops is that he had 5 for the whole season. Yeah, that's not being able to catch a cold and having hands of stone lol.

Football | NFL | Player Stats - Darrius Heyward-Bey - Oakland Raiders - washingtonpost.com
    yeah funny that, whereas Streater and Moore dropped TONS of passes, more than DHB but noone is complaining or bitching about them

laxs69 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabbulous View Post
    Real smooth bro...
    It was a joke, yet also the cruel reality that Heyward-Bey missing those couple of games didn't really prove to be all that detrimental to our offensive production. Listen, I'm a big fan of Heyard-Bey's work ethic, desire to be good, professionalize and so on. But, when it comes to his ability to create separation, run crisp routes, make a tough catch in traffic, or even sometimes secure an easy one, Heyward-Bey is absolutely abysmal. If we cut him, I honestly think he will have a hard time finding work in the NFL
    DarkLordAlDavis likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Greg Olsen should get the "no sh!t Sherlock" award for this one......
    We havn't had a #1 WR perform like a #1 since Brown/Rice......

That said, IMO it would be a mistake to draft a WR with our 1st pick.......

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLordAlDavis View Post
    MeThinks Reggie will be giving advance notice to Beys agent that his client should start looking for a good real estate broker...... There are two chances the hands of stone will be brought back any where near that $$$ number. None and never......
    Had a feeling this thread would wake you from the dead. Haven't seen too many posts from you lately. You know what's a kick in the head?? I miss your posts.
    DarkLordAlDavis likes this.
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

Brazy is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    at least we know the new O.C. eyes work.
    IN REGGIE WE TRUST
    MUCH RESPECT TO THE NATION

mike taylor is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    I don't think the problem is talent, it's just consistency. We've seen flashes from our core, it's just they're too on and off. though a big legit number 1 could help that out, it's the least of our problems.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by KrimzonR8R View Post
    I'd have to disagree with you. This is a cutthroat business and if you have feelings that might get hurt because someone doesn't consider you a #1 wideout then you've got the wrong job. At this level, there is no more coddling of people's egos. The NFL is where professional football players better bring their A game every time because you're playing against some of the best athletes in the world. It's a privilege to be chosen to play for a team and if you're not doing your job, someone else will come and do it for you. RM is bringing competition for every position and if you're not ready, better pack up your locker and turn in your playbook.

If these guys don't have the drive to make themselves better by the time they get to a team, they don't belong on a team. Is it the coach's job to make them better? Yes. Is he there to hold their hand and tell them it'll be ok when they don't do their job? Absolutely not.

This should be a wake up call for these WRs like DHB who still can't catch a cold even if it was attached to a bottle of super glue. Step your game up fellas, there's no room for whiners, second guessers and non performers
    Thank you for your common Krimzon,

What does it take to follow someone? Respect and sense of duty come to mind. How does one get respect? Does it come with title, Chief, Sgt., Supervisor, boss? No. Respect is earned by actions. A leader ensures their people have the best chance of success. They provide them with the right tools to do the job and ensure proper training to get the job done.

I like to add treat someone with courtesy and respect. However, when it comes to a drill seargent or Vince Lombardi, you get more a kick in the ass than anything else. That said, if you look someone in the eye and say you are a piece of crap, it is unlikely, that guy is not going to think much of you. Therefore, concentration, focus, committment and effort will be wanting and lacking.

However, if you focus on teaching, coaching, educating, building confidence, that creates a positive atmosphere more likely to breed success.

We may disagree on this and that's fine.

I just don't see any benefit by saying these guys are bums which is basically what was said. I remember when Cliff Branch couldn't catch a cold. With proper tutoring, he became the most feared receiver in the game.

We can all agree this team is lacking in consistency, talent and leadership. Therefore, I want to see true leadership from the coaches. Teach, coach, lead and the players will follow. Don't point fingers, find fault and lay blame. That serves no purpose but to further divide.

That's my take.

coogi is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mike taylor View Post
    I don't think the problem is talent, it's just consistency. We've seen flashes from our core, it's just they're too on and off. though a big legit number 1 could help that out, it's the least of our problems.
    the problem though to some aspect catching is a talent..some people are just more natural at tracking the ball and going up and figting for it..WR isnt our biggest need but its certainly a need until you find a good one..

B. anthracis is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Like Olsen said, they're developing. But he shouldn't hold his breath waiting for us to sign a FA WR or make the position our number 1, 2, 3, or 4 need in the draft.

What I don't see the need for is to make a public statement that amounts to saying our wideouts suck. They're not great but they are serviceable. Before Knapp showed up DHB had a thousand yard season and Moore was coming along quickly. Olsen should be able to get production out of them. Or maybe this is his way of making them compete harder.

We'll find out in 7 months. So hit the snooze button until then.

Raiders Baby! is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by laxs69 View Post
    It was a joke, yet also the cruel reality that Heyward-Bey missing those couple of games didn't really prove to be all that detrimental to our offensive production. Listen, I'm a big fan of Heyard-Bey's work ethic, desire to be good, professionalize and so on. But, when it comes to his ability to create separation, run crisp routes, make a tough catch in traffic, or even sometimes secure an easy one, Heyward-Bey is absolutely abysmal. If we cut him, I honestly think he will have a hard time finding work in the NFL
    Agree with everything except this. He will be picked up almost instantly if we cut him IMO, but even if he isn't it's very hard to imagine some team wouldn't bring him into training camp and give him a look. Even if his hands are shaky, he can explode through tackles and turn short gains into TDs; that's not a skill you see in many WRs. There are plenty of teams that could use his services as a #3 or #4 WR. He will take a major pay cut, but I expect he will have a fairly long career (barring injury).

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders Baby! View Post
    Huge advantage. Also, even though there is truth to what you're saying about spreading the ball around a true #1 can sometimes break through double coverage and still find a way to make a play. There's no doubt having Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald would greatly improve this team, especially with the other weapons we have. However, I do agree with Olsen that we can make do with what we have and we should focus on beefing up the line and the defense. I'm hoping Moore and Streater will continue to develop and if in a few years neither of them still has that ability then I think it would be appropriate to add a true #1.
    i agree, love to have a true no.1. but how many games did Detroit win last year? they are stacked with talent. been collecting them for how many years now. id have to say they have picked inside the top 10 pics consistently for more years than any other team. we might be a close second. since 2000 the Lions have picked inside the top 10 8 out 12 years. theyve picked 5 top 3 picks in the last 12 years and picked 4 WR inside the top 10 picks along with 2 qb's inside the top 3. if you cant build a team to success with all that, what makes you think getting a true No.1 reciever is the answer? not to mention how many coachig staffs. id fire them coaches too with all the talent they have. we are nowhere as close as they are with talent yet this is a team game. we have to make the right picks that dont break the bank and get some cap freed up to spend some cash on some better recievers. these young guys we have got beat out by a undrafted guy named Streater for crying out loud.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenRaider View Post
    yeah funny that, whereas Streater and Moore dropped TONS of passes, more than DHB but noone is complaining or bitching about them
    If you look at times targeted though, it's a completely different story. I'm on my iPhone atm or I'd find the link but suffice to say that DHB has some work to do. IMHO, if he's not open to a serious restructuring, cut him loose and let him take his chances elsewhere.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information