Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: "We have to see what Pryor can do" -Greg Olsen

NEO
    NEO is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

"We have to see what Pryor can do" -Greg Olsen

Here: Greg Olsen: We have to see what Terrelle Pryor can do | ProFootballTalk

“That’s we’ll have to find out with Terrelle Pryor,” Olson said, via Steve Corkran of the Bay Area News Group. “We know what kind of an athlete he is. We need to find out what kind of decision maker he is. We need to find out if he’s a guy that can also sit in the pocket and deliver the ball from point A to point B accurately and on time and making the right decisions. That above all else becomes most important.” -Greg Olsen

Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Let the arguing commence in 3, 2, 1...
    Hala Madrid | MCFC | Torino

The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last, the great battle of our time.

raiderrod is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Isn't that just normal coaching? Evaluating the players you have? Not really news IMO.

NEO
    Hall of Famer
    Given Olsen's comments, Pryor will be judged SOLELY on throwing the ball between point A and point B.

This is the area that needs the most work. Hope he's putting in work. He needs it.

raiderjohn622 is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    ....and that is the pain in the ass part about changing coaches and systems. No one knows who can do what. Until you get a solid system in place for multiple seasons, no way these players can succeed. Thus RM should lay out a blue print "The Raider Way" and go out and find coaches that can coach that system, would make his job of personnel much, much easier. You will be able tweak things and add wrinkles along the way, but if it's power blocking, then stick with it from the top, if it's a 3-4 or 4-3 stick with it.
    Brazy likes this.

NEO
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderrod View Post
    Isn't that just normal coaching? Evaluating the players you have? Not really news IMO.
    Olsen's comments give tremendous insight.

Pryor won't be judged by his athletic ability. Olsen is quoted as saying "we know what he can do." He'll be judged SOLELY on his throwing ability.

Given this assessment, Pryor better be putting in work, this is an area of weakness IMO, and in order for him to remain in Oakland, he'll have to demonstrate that he can throw from point A to point B on a rope -- He doesn't do that.

I'm an optimist, but Pryor will have to come to camp, a completely upgraded QB in the throwing department.
    BigAl40 likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by fabbulous View Post
    let the arguing commence in 3, 2, 1...
    less filling!
    ds20902 and Carboran like this.

Dirt Dog is offline Banned
    Pro Bowler
    Pryor is going to have to be given a fair chance to find out. To this point I don't think he has been given one.

Keeping a guy shelved for 15 weeks is not gonna cut it if you are indeed serious about seeing if the guy has a future or not.

I know you people love Palmer to death but if you told me we are going 4-12 (regardless of Palmers play) then I would rather go that with getting pryor real reps and game experience.

Now if we are going to challenge for the playoffs this year or more then I'm okay with going with Palmer at a reduced rate but if we are a 6-10 at best then I still want Pryor or a Rookie we take a shot on in at QB..

And not just at qb either. I feel the same across the board. They're was a point in the season last year when they could have went younger at a lot of spots. Put in all the young cb, move huff back, Billkidi and Crawford could have got way more reps then they did. Aussberry, Beazt Jones, Criner(injuries I know), all should have got more reps. Stewart should have got way more sorry yardage carries even after DMC came back. He and Reece practically disappeared off the map. Berg could have gotten more reps all year. I mean we sent Smith out there game after game and fail after fail and didn't budge till Barnes came back.

This way at least these guys have the xp and can be evaluated with real game tape over a good portion of games.

Alot of Good info could have been had but it just seems like some one hit the reset button and 2012 never was.
    Brazy, huggeebear, sundeep and 1 others like this.

Brazy is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Pryor was throwing the ball ok in his only start. with exception when he couldn't follow thru with his arm and he was stating in his post game interview he was going to work on it.
    i think his abillity to keep plays alive with his legs, a la gannon, is the wild card here.
    Carson hasn't produced W's and I get that's on the Defense too, so it's not like we have a long way to go down if the kid starts (3rd pick in draft vs. 2nd or 1st pick in draft).
    He completed career 61% of his passes at OSU, so you have to believe he can be accurate.
    I think with the impression he has a real shot at the #1 and given all the #2 reps we will see drastic improvement from him.
    I feel he's a little immature still, just the impression i get from his interviews, but I like his potential, especially if he can learn how to be a pro from Carson and his internal work ethic/drive is legit.
    IN REGGIE WE TRUST
    MUST RESPECT TO THE NATION
    Dirt Dog likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderjohn622 View Post
    Thus RM should lay out a blue print "The Raider Way" and go out and find coaches that can coach that system, would make his job of personnel much, much easier. You will be able tweak things and add wrinkles along the way, but if it's power blocking, then stick with it from the top, if it's a 3-4 or 4-3 stick with it.
    But that's the way Al used to do things. Couldn't possibly work.
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

Raiders Baby! is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazy View Post
    Pryor was throwing the ball ok in his only start. with exception when he couldn't follow thru with his arm and he was stating in his post game interview he was going to work on it.
    i think his abillity to keep plays alive with his legs, a la gannon, is the wild card here.
    Carson hasn't produced W's and I get that's on the Defense too, so it's not like we have a long way to go down if the kid starts (3rd pick in draft vs. 2nd or 1st pick in draft).
    He completed career 61% of his passes at OSU, so you have to believe he can be accurate.
    I think with the impression he has a real shot at the #1 and given all the #2 reps we will see drastic improvement from him.
    I feel he's a little immature still, just the impression i get from his interviews, but I like his potential, especially if he can learn how to be a pro from Carson and his internal work ethic/drive is legit.
    IN REGGIE WE TRUST
    The follow-through is key to putting mustard on it. One builds power through their legs and core, but follow-through determines how much zip is on a ball as well as accuracy. Unfortunately, good follow-through is usually something one develops at a young age when learning muscle memory. If it isn't natural for him by now, it will likely be hard for him to learn. Same principle as learning another language; it's possible to do later in life, but it's harder and chances are you won't be as good as someone who started at a young age. The only difference is you have the rest of your life to learn the language. Pryor has a few years or he will have to consider a position change or potentially even an alternate career.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Of Hands View Post
    But that's the way Al used to do things. Couldn't possibly work.
    When did Al do that? Als draft philosophy was "take the biggest and fastest guys there regardless of what they did in college".

Worked great in the 60s, 70s and 80s. wasn't as effective in the 90s and 2000s.
    Silverblood likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazy View Post
    IN REGGIE WE TRUST
    If you have a way to rewatch the game, take a look at the trajectory of the throws. If that is not hugely improved, he will not have any kind of NFL career. He might do really well in the CFL.
    OTF, Raider Ran, Moriarty and 2 others like this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    When did Al do that? Als draft philosophy was "take the biggest and fastest guys there regardless of what they did in college".

Worked great in the 60s, 70s and 80s. wasn't as effective in the 90s and 2000s.
    I was replying to Raider John 622's post, which I quoted. We were discussing scheme stability, not draft philosophy.
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

Hall of Famer
    “That’s we’ll have to find out with Terrelle Pryor,” Olson said, via Steve Corkran of the Bay Area News Group. “We know what kind of an athlete he is. We need to find out what kind of decision maker he is. We need to find out if he’s a guy that can also sit in the pocket and deliver the ball from point A to point B accurately and on time and making the right decisions. That above all else becomes most important.” -Greg Olsen

I dunno, something about that statement comes across as "reasons why he won't be a starter in this league" as opposed to "we think he can do it", etc.

When you think about it, we are talking about making reads/throws/ and good decisions, these are things that a QB pretty much has or doesn't have. It almost seems like Olsen is giving reasons why Pryor won't be a starter here, etc. It reminds me of when my pops would say "we will see" when ever I would ask him if we could go to Cedar Point for a summer mini-vacation when I was a kid. Guess what? Never happened and his "we will see" was a polite way of saying "no, it's not gonna happen'. When Olsen says, "That above all else becomes most important", to me that translates to, "don't think Pryor will start because he can run around a lot and make some plays". In other words, we ain't playing the "let the Qb run around until someone gets open game". This is the NFL, not high school football.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any "good news" in that statement for the kid. Just my 02.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information