Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 153
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: "We have to see what Pryor can do" -Greg Olsen

  1. #46
    raiderrod's Avatar
    raiderrod is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by ecnirp View Post
    Part of the reason I keep saying its pointless to bring up Cam and Kaepernick. Pryor will never throw like those guys....

    The truth is.....only about 4 or 5 guys can compete with them in arm strength. Thats ok.

    Like I've said before....Pryor needs to get on an Alex Smith level as a passer (when you factor in his athleticism) ....then we'll have something.
    Do you think he can get to the level of Alex Smith? Which I would consider to be slightly below average with regards to his throwing. If Pryor demonstrates average throwing ability, he will be a starter. If he had been an average thrower coming out of OSU he would have been highly sought after.

  2. #47
    NEO's Avatar
    NEO
    NEO is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,734
    Quote Originally Posted by ecnirp View Post
    Part of the reason I keep saying its pointless to bring up Cam and Kaepernick. Pryor will never throw like those guys....

    The truth is.....only about 4 or 5 guys can compete with them in arm strength. Thats ok.

    Like I've said before....Pryor needs to get on an Alex Smith level as a passer (when you factor in his athleticism) ....then we'll have something.
    The problem with the Alex Smith comparison is that Alex Smith is terrible with decision making if he has more than one read to make.

    Terrelle Pryor on the other hand, seems to target the correct WR/TE/RB, but his velocity, and trajectory appear in need of LOTS OF WORK.

    Perhaps it's rust?
    Perhaps it's lack of rips?
    Perhaps it was weather in the SD game?

    Whatever the reason, I wouldn't make the comparison to Alex Smith, although I will acknowledge he needs to improve greatly in some areas if he is to supplant Palmer as the starter.

  3. #48
    ecnirp is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,970
    Quote Originally Posted by NEO View Post
    The problem with the Alex Smith comparison is that Alex Smith is terrible with decision making if he has more than one read to make.

    Terrelle Pryor on the other hand, seems to target the correct WR/TE/RB, but his velocity, and trajectory appear in need of LOTS OF WORK.

    Perhaps it's rust?
    Perhaps it's lack of rips?
    Perhaps it was weather in the SD game?

    Whatever the reason, I wouldn't make the comparison to Alex Smith, although I will acknowledge he needs to improve greatly in some areas if he is to supplant Palmer as the starter.
    Well...I've just become a bit more optimistic after seeing this......He's going to all the top guns to improve his throwing..

    Terrelle Pryor ‏@TerrellePryor
    Steve clarkson, Craig Austin , and George Whitfield J R RT @RawSports365: @TerrellePryor who's your QB trainer in the off season?

    Craig Austin posts on here as well. I wonder if he can give some insight on the workouts.

    I've been talking about Whitfield for a minute. Johnny Football visited him to clean up his mechanics last year.
    lix333 likes this.

  4. #49
    Raiders Baby!'s Avatar
    Raiders Baby! is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTWINBABY9111 View Post
    What stood out to me was the part about wanting to heavily use play action. Who's going to be pushing Darren McFadden? Competition is good for CP. TP will push Palmer which is excellent. That settles the QB position, but what about the run game? Who is going to push Darren McFadden?

    The entire OL and the RB position is a major concern if we are trying to revive the offense. We know it must carry a D that should show some improvement especially with a pass rusher at #1. The QB position should be solid and set. OL and the RBs productions are going to determine how the WRs and QBs show this season. 2011 we could run and the WRs showed potential. 2012 we had no running game and the WRs looked terrible. If the running game is good Palmer will have the best season of his career. Without a #1 WR he will play well, he played well last season with marginal WRs and no running game, and did the same in 2011. He made our WRs look better than they are when we were not 1 dimensional.

    I have no problem saying that because it's true. The problem is Darren McFadden has to come through. Can the man do what he is paid to do? It's a contract year for McFadden, and if he is good, we will be good. We will surprise. This could be the season that another RB steps up, becasue Reggie drafts a RB and shows us he can be good. Maybe an 8-8 type of season, because the running game is solved and a young pass rusher brings it. Rookie of the year on defense. Picking #3, it could happen.
    I think 8-8 is a pipe dream. Maybe if everything went our way, but even then it's hard to imagine. That said, part of the way I could see us getting back there is if we reignite the run game. I completely agree with you there, and for some reason my gut feeling is DMC will be back this season. Maybe it's the switch back to the PBS, maybe I just think he will be playing for pride, but something is making me feel we won't be disappointed with him again. The other thing is our defense, and as you say we have a chance to pick up an electric defensive player if we pick at 3. So, I am very skeptical we can turn things around that much in one season but I do agree that if it's going to happen step 1 is getting McFadden back on track.

  5. #50
    Raidermofojeff's Avatar
    Raidermofojeff is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tacoma Wa.
    Posts
    9,458
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKiev View Post
    See, I get so tired of this argument. Best players according to who? According to Mel Kiper? Some "expert from CBS Sports?" Who?

    This is why we got into so much trouble with many of our picks. I trust true, active NFL talent evaluators. You can list me all of these analysts that you want, but they aren't at the caliber of an NFL scout. You know, the "scouts" that Al never listened to until the later rounds. So you can continue to rant and rave about how "everybody" knew that these were the "best picks" available, but I don't buy it. Sometimes you pass on the best ESPN-rated pick, for a more effective NFL pro-scout pick. Even if a scout has a player "rated as number one, they still may pass because the quality of the "number 1" doesn't justify the pick at that level in the draft, so they trade down, etc.,etc.

    There are reasons why New England has great drafts, even when they are often deep in the order. They have professionals who evaluate the talent and need and use their NFL professionalism to evaluate and fill the needs of their scheme. Al Davis made poor picks, heck even some of them were "ESPN expert" picks, but guess what, those picks often fell flat, and when Al "reached" he reached for sub-par players. When teams like NE "reach", they base it on thorough evaluations done by THEIR PEOPLE, not ESPN.
    Agreed, what becomes conventional wisdom, sometimes isn't very wise... Proper research done by the proper people is the way to go. Mike Shanahan is a good example of thinking for himself and achieving success....
    Pete Carroll too....The Raiders have a pretty good track record of what not to do.

  6. #51
    JUSTWINBABY9111's Avatar
    JUSTWINBABY9111 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders Baby! View Post
    I think 8-8 is a pipe dream. Maybe if everything went our way, but even then it's hard to imagine. That said, part of the way I could see us getting back there is if we reignite the run game. I completely agree with you there, and for some reason my gut feeling is DMC will be back this season. Maybe it's the switch back to the PBS, maybe I just think he will be playing for pride, but something is making me feel we won't be disappointed with him again. The other thing is our defense, and as you say we have a chance to pick up an electric defensive player if we pick at 3. So, I am very skeptical we can turn things around that much in one season but I do agree that if it's going to happen step 1 is getting McFadden back on track.
    In 2011, I felt we were good enough to take advantage of dinged up teams. That's what I mean, because if we face teams at 100% I don't think we could go 8-8. If we fail to fix the run game, we will struggle to go 4-12. If we can run the ball well CP will make the WRs look better, and he will make plays down the field, whether or not it's play-action. It will open up the offense, and because we do not have game changers, I don't think we could beat a team like Baltimore at full strength until we add difference makers. We could steal some wins though, just like 2011.
    Raiders Baby! likes this.

  7. #52
    Raiders Baby!'s Avatar
    Raiders Baby! is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTWINBABY9111 View Post
    In 2011, I felt we were good enough to take advantage of dinged up teams. That's what I mean, because if we face teams at 100% I don't think we could go 8-8. If we fail to fix the run game, we will struggle to go 4-12. If we can run the ball well CP will make the WRs look better, and he will make plays down the field, whether or not it's play-action. It will open up the offense, and because we do not have game changers, I don't think we could beat a team like Baltimore at full strength until we add difference makers. We could steal some wins though, just like 2011.
    I think we're on the same page here, man. We could totally steal some wins, and to do so the running game needs to get going. I just can't help but expect we will also let games we should win get away from us. If everything went perfectly we could get to 8 and if everything goes the wrong way we could be looking at the 1 spot in next year's draft. I think it will be somewhere in the middle, even if McFadden gets back to full speed, somewhere at like 6 wins. Although, this is not factoring in we play a tough schedule this coming season.

  8. #53
    RAIDER_Dave is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,229
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenRaider View Post
    I think alot of people are judging Pryors throws on the one game we watched him. He seemed to use a lot of touch and float the ball in there rather than zip it in, so I went and looked at some highlights

    Terrelle Pryor - 2010 Highlights - YouTube

    Seems like he can zip it when he wants to, checkout from 3:30 on, there are a couple of lasers in the there. Some Qbs have no touch, like JaMarcus, how did that work out for us? i think its harder to teach touch than to teach someone to throw it hard. He seems to be pretty accurate, and improved over his college career. I think he needs to get a shot. Honestly he played well enough in last game to warrant a chance to start for me, and I like Palmer. If we are any worse than 2-2 after first 4 games next year, I would go with Pryor, just so we see what we have.
    This guy throws with as much zip as Pryor and most everyone's calling him a noodle arm.
    Matt Barkley Highlights 2011 - HD - YouTube

  9. #54
    NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,114
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER_Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenRaider View Post
    I think alot of people are judging Pryors throws on the one game we watched him. He seemed to use a lot of touch and float the ball in there rather than zip it in, so I went and looked at some highlights

    Terrelle Pryor - 2010 Highlights - YouTube

    Seems like he can zip it when he wants to, checkout from 3:30 on, there are a couple of lasers in the there. Some Qbs have no touch, like JaMarcus, how did that work out for us? i think its harder to teach touch than to teach someone to throw it hard. He seems to be pretty accurate, and improved over his college career. I think he needs to get a shot. Honestly he played well enough in last game to warrant a chance to start for me, and I like Palmer. If we are any worse than 2-2 after first 4 games next year, I would go with Pryor, just so we see what we have.
    This guy throws with as much zip as Pryor and most everyone's calling him a noodle arm.
    Matt Barkley Highlights 2011 - HD - YouTube
    Man please

  10. #55
    Rainman56's Avatar
    Rainman56 is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Underground
    Posts
    6,890
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKiev View Post
    See, I get so tired of this argument. Best players according to who? According to Mel Kiper? Some "expert from CBS Sports?" Who?

    This is why we got into so much trouble with many of our picks. I trust true, active NFL talent evaluators. You can list me all of these analysts that you want, but they aren't at the caliber of an NFL scout. You know, the "scouts" that Al never listened to until the later rounds. So you can continue to rant and rave about how "everybody" knew that these were the "best picks" available, but I don't buy it. Sometimes you pass on the best ESPN-rated pick, for a more effective NFL pro-scout pick. Even if a scout has a player "rated as number one, they still may pass because the quality of the "number 1" doesn't justify the pick at that level in the draft, so they trade down, etc.,etc.

    There are reasons why New England has great drafts, even when they are often deep in the order. They have professionals who evaluate the talent and need and use their NFL professionalism to evaluate and fill the needs of their scheme. Al Davis made poor picks, heck even some of them were "ESPN expert" picks, but guess what, those picks often fell flat, and when Al "reached" he reached for sub-par players. When teams like NE "reach", they base it on thorough evaluations done by THEIR PEOPLE, not ESPN.

    Good points Joe but in regards to the Pats recent draft success I think you,ll be surprised how bad it has been as a whole the last few years.They,ve drafted alot of defensive guys who just plain haven,t worked out at all.The key for them seems to be dealing for alot of pics therefore more odds to score.Recent early rounds have not been good by any means mind you when they do hit they seem to land a franchise type player for years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    you can't find one post by me saying I have Knapp's back.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    This is why I have Knapps back
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    No one owes woodson sh!t and I'm not sure he will ever see the HOF

  11. #56
    Sea Of Hands's Avatar
    Sea Of Hands is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Yosemite
    Posts
    4,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman56 View Post
    Good points Joe but in regards to the Pats recent draft success I think you,ll be surprised how bad it has been as a whole the last few years.They,ve drafted alot of defensive guys who just plain haven,t worked out at all.The key for them seems to be dealing for alot of pics therefore more odds to score.Recent early rounds have not been good by any means mind you when they do hit they seem to land a franchise type player for years to come.
    This^^^^

    The Pats have been horrendous in the draft. The delusional assumption is that as long as they keep winning, they must be drafting well. Tom Brady is the reason they win. Take away Brady and the Pats would have disintegrated long ago.
    huggeebear and Rainman56 like this.
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

  12. #57
    MadBomber24's Avatar
    MadBomber24 is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    13,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Of Hands View Post
    This^^^^

    The Pats have been horrendous in the draft. The delusional assumption is that as long as they keep winning, they must be drafting well. Tom Brady is the reason they win. Take away Brady and the Pats would have disintegrated long ago.
    Yea their drafting has been suspect the last 5 or 6 years. Probably a big reason why they cant win the big one anymore and their defense keeps stinking.
    Rainman56 likes this.

  13. #58
    charlieinblack is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    84
    if olsen is going off throwing,
    just think,
    this time next year someone can take a photo of pryor serving russell on his never ending comeback from mcdonalds, noclaps will be.
    Raider Ran likes this.

  14. #59
    NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,114
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieinblack View Post
    if olsen is going off throwing,
    just think,
    this time next year someone can take a photo of pryor serving russell on his never ending comeback from mcdonalds, noclaps will be.
    I'm flattered you know who I am, bc i sure as hell don't recognize your name

    and i'm saddened by the severe lack of funniness from you and others who try so hard to crack a joke

    please be funny or please just stop

  15. #60
    charlieinblack is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClapsPlease View Post
    I'm flattered you know who I am, bc i sure as hell don't recognize your name

    and i'm saddened by the severe lack of funniness from you and others who try so hard to crack a joke

    please be funny or please just stop
    well thats the first time i seen you reply to someone without some palmer sucks stat, maybe its true english humour dont cross over the sea, your lot did make the office and fawlty towers unfunny!
    Raider Ran likes this.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •