Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: I predict Wheeler will leave and what that means

Hall of Famer

I predict Wheeler will leave and what that means

I say Phillip Wheeler will take his 100+ tackles elsewhere for a nice big 3 or 4 year contract. He is still young, fast, and worth it. I say this because if you take out the emotion ("oh, he loves being a Raider" kind of thing), why wouldn't he go elsewhere while still in his prime to be on a team that is playoff bound? If he does this, our linebacking corps will officially be the worst in the league, to go with our weak defensive backfield, and a defensive line in transition. But, draft a LB at #3? No way. If he bolts, it gives even more reason to trade down in the first round to get a #2 and a lower pick too. I am predicting we take 75% defensive players in this draft. Way more holes on that side of the ball.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RunOvrByHubbard View Post
    I say Phillip Wheeler will take his 100+ tackles elsewhere for a nice big 3 or 4 year contract. He is still young, fast, and worth it. I say this because if you take out the emotion ("oh, he loves being a Raider" kind of thing), why wouldn't he go elsewhere while still in his prime to be on a team that is playoff bound? If he does this, our linebacking corps will officially be the worst in the league, to go with our weak defensive backfield, and a defensive line in transition. But, draft a LB at #3? No way. If he bolts, it gives even more reason to trade down in the first round to get a #2 and a lower pick too. I am predicting we take 75% defensive players in this draft. Way more holes on that side of the ball.
    Holes: WR, RB, OL, DT, DE, MLB, CB, S...

Not much of a point... just saying that "WAY more" is missing the point that ANYTHING in this draft could be argued as BADLY NEEDED. Now, that being said, I do agree with you on the prospect of having a better chance to land a GREAT player on the defensive side of the ball as opposed to the offensive side in rounds 4 and beyond.

As for Wheeler? Meh... Who know this ish man. He aint from the West Coast, so yeah maybe.
    KEVIN WYNNE likes this.
    --------------------------------

"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out”

fmt600 is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie

I predict Wheeler will leave and what that means

Nah I think he will stay.I doubt he gets a 3-4 year deal from any other team.I believe RM will offer him a fair contract for maybe 2-3 years.Which Is not bad for his performance this last season.Just MO.I hope he stays too...
    Play Hard likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Towner13 View Post
    Holes: WR, RB, OL, DT, DE, MLB, CB, S...

Not much of a point... just saying that "WAY more" is missing the point that ANYTHING in this draft could be argued as BADLY NEEDED. Now, that being said, I do agree with you on the prospect of having a better chance to land a GREAT player on the defensive side of the ball as opposed to the offensive side in rounds 4 and beyond.
    We are going to agree to disagree. I would not put WR, RB, TE, or QB in our top needs. I put only the OL as important as DL, LB, and DB. Sure, find a stud RB in the 4th or 5th round if possible, but go into the draft rebuilding the trenches and finding some playmakers at LB and CB.

USAF_Sgt is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Raiders were the only team that gave him a chance...hence the one year contract. I think he stays.
    Andrew Evenstar likes this.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    We are going to agree to disagree. I would not put WR, RB, TE, or QB in our top needs. I put only the OL as important as DL, LB, and DB. Sure, find a stud RB in the 4th or 5th round if possible, but go into the draft rebuilding the trenches and finding some playmakers at LB and CB.
    Yes... I wouldn't say we're disagreeing. I just would be happy with ANY player that I liked from an evaluation standpoint. First round. We take Luke Joeckel, I'm happy. a CB, I am happy. Take that Cal WR Keenan Allen... I am happy. Take a 2nd round RB who looks promising, I am happy.

That's the great part about a draft for a 4-12 team. All draft picks bring hope.

Oddly enough... The only player that warrants talk as being "SET IN STONE" is the exact player this thread is about. Other than that? Not Palmer, Not Veldheer, not Wiz, not Streeter, Moore, Huff, etc.... Wheeler is the Raiders best player.

Also, Desmond Bryant is more important than any DT in the draft. This point doesn't get much press, but a DT has been taking longer to develop than QB's in the NFL.

Hall of Famer
    I don't care how many reasons we have to trade down, matters none. Find me the team that has reasons to want to trade up and give up their second.
    All these people who keep talking about we must trade down are just setting themselves up to very dissapointed come draft day, cuz I'd put the odds of us trading down somewhere around 5%.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER_Dave View Post
    I don't care how many reasons we have to trade down, matters none. Find me the team that has reasons to want to trade up and give up their second.
    All these people who keep talking about we must trade down are just setting themselves up to very dissapointed come draft day, cuz I'd put the odds of us trading down somewhere around 5%.
    I know, I know. I don't want to trade down every year, just some. This is one of those years. In recent memory, I wanted to trade down and not take Gallery (I targeted Big Ben); I wanted to trade down and not take Huff (and take Ngata). But sometimes you don't have to trade down, you just have to draft smart. Like take Monroe or Raji instead of DHB....

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER_Dave View Post
    I thought the same thing... Prior to looking into the situation.

The Quarterback crop is completely bare. You essentially have Geno SMith, Barkley and a couple of guys that MIGHT>... MAYBE warrant a 5th round consideration.

All hitting in a year where there is more QB needs than in a long time. There aren't any backups that deserve a change of zip code and starting chance. (No Matt Schaubs out there. There is Matt Flynn and that is it.)

I read an article that attempted to put logic behind the disparity of some people saying Geno Smith draft stock is falling and others saying he still maintains a top draft pick status.

The article alluded to the notion that team's like the Bills, Browns, Jets, Cardinals, Tampa and yes... even the Cowboys have Scouts actively spreading misinformation (mis-opinions really) on what they feel about Geno Smith in hopes of causing a slide scenario or cheapening the cost to trade up. The writer goes on in somewhat sefl depricating fashion to say something along the lines of 'Reporters typically don't know sh1t about sh1t so they just mass-print Geno's falling star status.'

Team's like AZ, Jets, Bills, etc... WANT a QB. There will be a market to get one of the only ones available in the draft.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    I know, I know. I don't want to trade down every year, just some. This is one of those years. In recent memory, I wanted to trade down and not take Gallery (I targeted Big Ben); I wanted to trade down and not take Huff (and take Ngata). But sometimes you don't have to trade down, you just have to draft smart. Like take Monroe or Raji instead of DHB....
    My Brother threw a major hissy fit ont he Huff pick and walked out of the room, left our draft party and said.... I can't believe they left Matt Leinert on the board

Now, Huff aint Ed Reed. But Leinert is not even Tim Couch!

Hall of Famer
    seems to like Oak, Reggie and DA gave him a chance to start and play fulltime I think he stays
    Play Hard likes this.

RaiderDuck is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    What if Reggie franchises or transitions him?

2013 LB Franchise Tender: $9.455 million
    2013 LB Transition Tender: $8.216 million

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDuck View Post

I think it's sign him to a multi 3-4 year deal or nothing.. Not worth the franchise tag nor is anyone on our roster IMO
    POKE and Play Hard like this.

Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Whether he wants to leave and sign with a more competitive team is up to him, but Reggie knows we need him back.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDuck View Post

I wouldnt even consider franchising him. Hes a good player but he isnt worth that money at all. If I am Reggie and I cant get Wheeler to sign for what I think hes worth before FA begins then I tell Wheeler like this... "We really like you as a player and we really want you back here. Go out and see what the market is and let us know and we will see about matching or beating what the other teams are offering if it will fit with what we can do financially. "

Wheeler will get some looks by some teams but I dont think anyone is going to be knocking down his door to get him to sign. If RM can get him to agree to give him the ability to match with maybe a small amount extra then that would hopefully be enough to keep Wheeler here without overspending big. That is of course if Wheeler wants to be here. In the end he has the power to decide.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information