Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: What would releasing Palmer save?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldCityR8r View Post
    Didnt realize it was that much, wow
    Palmer was due $12.5 million salary last year. We changed $11.55 of that into a signing bonus which spread it out over 3 years. 11.55 divided by 3 years is $3.85 million per year. The first year of that went on last yearís cap with almost $1 million in salary, so his cap hit last year was only about $4.8 million, saving us $7.7 million in cap space. So if we let him go, I think both of those two remaining $3.85 million cap hits would get added this year, so his cap hit would be $7.7 million this year at minimum. It will be more if he has any guaranteed money coming his way. Not sure if he has any guaranteed money in 2013/2014. I donít think his original contract had any guaranteed money for those years, but not sure if he got some guaranteed money added when he reworked last year.

RaiderDuck is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN WYNNE View Post
    cap hit $15mill...Cheaper to keep him than cut him..Acceleration of the contract makes it unlikely to cut him and for what???He has had a good year
    The cap hit would be $15 million, but THAT'S IT. He'd be off the books forever a year from now. If we keep him, then we have a similar (but smaller) cap hit next year.

I'm not citing this as a reason to keep or cut him, mind you. But when people talk about "more of a cap hit to cut him than keep him," they're only talking about this year and ignoring what comes after.

WinLoseTie83 is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    I'm still completely confused on Carson Palmer. Was he bad last season because of Knapp? Or was it because he is on the decline. I forget what NFL blogger said this about Carson but it pretty much summed up how alot of the nation feels. "Carson Palmer is the worst kind of QB, bad enough to keep your team from going far but good enough to keep himself from getting cut."

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDuck View Post
    The cap hit would be $15 million, but THAT'S IT. He'd be off the books forever a year from now. If we keep him, then we have a similar (but smaller) cap hit next year.

I'm not citing this as a reason to keep or cut him, mind you. But when people talk about "more of a cap hit to cut him than keep him," they're only talking about this year and ignoring what comes after.
    Hmmm...having Pryor as the only QB on the roster and $15mil more in dead money for '13? Doesn't seem like all that effective of a way to sell season tickets.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by WinLoseTie83 View Post
    I'm still completely confused on Carson Palmer. Was he bad last season because of Knapp? Or was it because he is on the decline. I forget what NFL blogger said this about Carson but it pretty much summed up how alot of the nation feels. "Carson Palmer is the worst kind of QB, bad enough to keep your team from going far but good enough to keep himself from getting cut."
    Teams didn't have to respect the run so they were in the envious position of having a choice between pinning their ears back and coming after Palmer or dropping back into coverage to cover the much feared Raider WR corps (yes, that's a joke). The list of QB's who *may* be successful in Palmer's situation is a rather short one: 1) Peyton Manning. 2) *crickets chirping*.

SF_Raider_Fan is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderman123 View Post
    I only bring it up, bc if the savings is 7.5 and cutting Kelly would be around 6.5 that alone puts us pretty far under, and I am for Pryor as the future, but even if you arent, it would allow us to resign a couple more guys, or bring in younger talent.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This man is making sense here.

UptownXguy3 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I don't think Reggie is going to release Palmer...If Palmer is leaving it would have to be through a trade. Palmer is serviceable and we can't really change his contract unless he agrees to make a lot less. Taking a cap hit losing a QB in the process is not wise...who will be our backup?

raiders_fan67 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I hate to rain on the parade but,Carson is the man in 2013 whether you like it or not. I have never seen fans turn on a player like this bunch. I am glad we have Pryor but, he is not going to be the starter in 2013. There will be a competition all during the off season and training camp and # 3 will be the starter whether you like it or not. Carson will make a lot of you eat your words and I for one can't wait
    Go Carson Palmer
    LKNRaiderFan likes this.

MaxxxPayne is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    If you get rid of him you have to play it smart and sell when the demand is high. For example: Brady, Flacco, Rothisberger, Kapernick, Manning etc. get hurt and their team is playoff bound with a record of 10-3 and desperately need a vet QB that could concievably win it all. You easily get a 1st rounder out of that team. It happens every friggin year. Palmer is a better option than bringing back Brett Favre.

Someone will need him this season....not offseason....you sell gold when the price is high not low.
    Is Palmer a better option than bringing back Brett Favre?.... I just got an idea, let me text Reggie.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SLVR and Black View Post
    Hmmm...having Pryor as the only QB on the roster and $15mil more in dead money for '13? Doesn't seem like all that effective of a way to sell season tickets.
    I don't see how it's a $15 million cap hit for next year to let him go.
    I havenít seen one thing that shows he has any guaranteed money at all for the 2013/2014.
    His original contract only had guaranteed money in 2011/2012.
    So as far as I can tell the only cap hit would be for the money that we switched from salary to signing bonus last year which was 11.55 million.
    Iíve seen reports that it was spread over 3 years and Iíve also seen reports where we added two year to his contract to spread it even thinner.
    So 11.55 / 3 years is 3.85 million. One year already applied to last yearís cap, two years cap hit remaining, so 7.7 million cap hit.
    11.55 / 5 years is 2.31 million. One year already applied, four years remaining, so 9.24 million cap hit.
    So 7.7 or 9.24 million cap hit to release him unless I see where he got more guaranteed money.
    We donít owe him anything at this point. That 11.55 million was given to him last year. Itís just counted against future caps.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raiders_fan67 View Post
    I hate to rain on the parade but,Carson is the man in 2013 whether you like it or not. I have never seen fans turn on a player like this bunch. I am glad we have Pryor but, he is not going to be the starter in 2013. There will be a competition all during the off season and training camp and # 3 will be the starter whether you like it or not. Carson will make a lot of you eat your words and I for one can't wait
    Go Carson Palmer
    I hope your right. I'm a Carson supporter. But I wouldn't be surprised one bit that if he isn't willing to rework his contract that he will be let go. $13 million seems pretty steep for Carson to me. Take the 7 or 9 miilion cap hit this year, bite the bullet, with an eye towards 2014.
    If we fail we get Clowney and have cap space to go get a good free agent QB.

WinLoseTie83 is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SLVR and Black View Post
    Teams didn't have to respect the run so they were in the envious position of having a choice between pinning their ears back and coming after Palmer or dropping back into coverage to cover the much feared Raider WR corps (yes, that's a joke). The list of QB's who *may* be successful in Palmer's situation is a rather short one: 1) Peyton Manning. 2) *crickets chirping*.
    I see where you're coming from here. The only reason that i'm having a hard time buying into your statement is because of his performance at the end of his Bengals career. It wasn't exactly encouraging. After awhile the excuses have to go away and the performance, particularly the wins, need to show up.
    Raidermofojeff likes this.

raiderluv is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro

State of the Raiders...

Quote Originally Posted by tdograiders View Post
    My sentiments...people don't give the man enough credit. They bring up 4 wins or use the "garbage time stats padding" argument.
    I give him all the credit, the man can play, make all the throws, and has a good attitude,... my problem is the "State of the Raiders" coupled with Palmers age. Palmer is 33 years old, not an old man, but we are at least 2 years away from being good, that puts him at 35 (which is definitely in decline)... we are also in cap stagnation right now, missing 2nd and 5th round draft choices, and around $4 mill over the cap!... I understand that we will get under the cap by cutting and restructuring contracts of others (DHB, Kelly, Huff, Seymour, McClain, etc...), but also realize that Palmer is going to cost us around $17 Million next year... Plus we may have the future franchise QB on the bench! (yes he needs work, but debatable as to how much the added reps will exponentially improve his mechanics)...

You may be able to trade Palmer for that 2nd and 5th in this draft, and get $13 million in cap relief THIS YEAR!... Can you imagine what a full draft (plus a potential trade down to recoup even more pics, how does 4 pics in the top hundred sound)!... If I were a new GM, reshaping a roster with young, tough Football Players, this is how I would do it!!! (reminiscent of the Jimmy Johnson trade of Herschel Walker)

Dudeness is offline Banned
    Veteran
    Pay him the money. Get rid of DHB, ROLANDO. Build through draft time for criner and Moore to step up . We Gna be unstoppable NIGGAHS

Stormy Rottman is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderluv View Post

You may be able to trade Palmer for that 2nd and 5th in this draft, and get $13 million in cap relief THIS YEAR!... Can you imagine what a full draft (plus a potential trade down to recoup even more pics, how does 4 pics in the top hundred sound)!... If I were a new GM, reshaping a roster with young, tough Football Players, this is how I would do it!!! (reminiscent of the Jimmy Johnson trade of Herschel Walker)
    When you trade a player, it triggers an immediate cap charge on the trading teams cap - so WE would take the cap hit for trading Palmer and see no relief.

Also, what team do you propose would be willing to give up a #2 and a #5 for Palmer? I can't think of anyone.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information