Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Allen says there will be competition at the quarterback spot

  1. #1
    RAIDERS64 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,810

    Allen says there will be competition at the quarterback spot

    Allen says there will be competition at the quarterback spot | Raiders Silver and Black Blog | an SFGate.com blog


    Raiders coach Dennis Allen took a break from coaching at the Senior Bowl in Mobile to jump on the NFL Network’s “NFL AM” and answer some questions:

    On quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Terrelle Pryor:

    “We’re going to have some competition at that position. Carson Palmer did an outstanding job for us last year. We feel really good about Carson at the quarterback position moving forward, and obviously we want to create competition at all levels of our team; offensively, defensively, in the kicking game. The more competition that you can create, the better your football team is going to be. We’re going to look at that as we’re moving forward, but I feel good about Carson. Terrelle did some nice things in the final game of the season last year, so it’ll be interesting to see how he does as we move forward.”

    On Wednesday’s hiring of Tony Sparano as assistant head coach/offensive line coach:


    “He’s an outstanding football coach, first and foremost. I’ve got some really close friends in football that speak very highly of Tony Sparano, and really when I got a chance to watching, the thing that most impressed me about his time in Dallas, about his time there in Miami is that he always had some tough football teams. That’s the thing that I think he can bring to our team, to our offense, is a sense of toughness. As well as a guy who’s been through it; he’s been a head coach in this league, he’s been a coordinator so there are experiences that he can help us all through.”

    On hiring Greg Olson as offensive coordinator:

    “Greg is an outstanding football coach, he’s a great football mind. Again, when you go through and you talk to the people within the National Football League and guys that I respect, he was a name that continued to come up to me. When we went through the interview process, I was highly impressed with him and just his thoughts and his philosophies about how he wants to operate the offense and thinking about really trying to fit our offensive scheme to doing some of the things that our playmakers do the best. That’s something that I look forward to.”

    On how Greg Olson’s offensive schemes will incorporate running back Darren McFadden:

    “That’s one of the things that we’re going to look at when we get back to Oakland is we’re really going to look at the things that Darren McFadden does really well and we’re going to try to ask him to do those things as much as possible, limit the times that we ask him to do some of the things that he may not be as good at. All of us as players have strengths and weaknesses, and we want to try to play to our best players’ strengths as much as possible.”

    On where the Raiders need to improve the most:

    “We’ve got a lot of areas that we have to improve on. Specifically, we have to really work to improve some things defensively to give us an opportunity to play defense the way that we want to be able to play defense. There are some pieces in place. Obviously this year we’re not quite as a hamstrung with the draft picks and the salary cap, so we’re going to have a little more flexibility to make a few more moves and do a few more things to help us from a personnel standpoint with our team.”

    On if linebacker Rolando McClain has a future with the Raiders:


    “Right now he’s part of the football team. He’s on our roster. We’ll let that play out as the offseason goes on.”

    On coaching at the Senior Bowl:


    “It’s fun. It gives us a great opportunity to get a chance to know these guys, not only to get to know them on the football field but it also gives us an opportunity to see what they’re like behind the scenes. That’s the specific advantage that we get in being able to coach these guys throughout the week.”

  2. #2
    JoeKiev's Avatar
    JoeKiev is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,322
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERS64 View Post
    Allen says there will be competition at the quarterback spot | Raiders Silver and Black Blog | an SFGate.com blog


    Raiders coach Dennis Allen took a break from coaching at the Senior Bowl in Mobile to jump on the NFL Network’s “NFL AM” and answer some questions:

    On quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Terrelle Pryor:

    “We’re going to have some competition at that position. Carson Palmer did an outstanding job for us last year. We feel really good about Carson at the quarterback position moving forward, and obviously we want to create competition at all levels of our team; offensively, defensively, in the kicking game. The more competition that you can create, the better your football team is going to be. We’re going to look at that as we’re moving forward, but I feel good about Carson. Terrelle did some nice things in the final game of the season last year, so it’ll be interesting to see how he does as we move forward.”

    On Wednesday’s hiring of Tony Sparano as assistant head coach/offensive line coach:


    “He’s an outstanding football coach, first and foremost. I’ve got some really close friends in football that speak very highly of Tony Sparano, and really when I got a chance to watching, the thing that most impressed me about his time in Dallas, about his time there in Miami is that he always had some tough football teams. That’s the thing that I think he can bring to our team, to our offense, is a sense of toughness. As well as a guy who’s been through it; he’s been a head coach in this league, he’s been a coordinator so there are experiences that he can help us all through.”

    On hiring Greg Olson as offensive coordinator:

    “Greg is an outstanding football coach, he’s a great football mind. Again, when you go through and you talk to the people within the National Football League and guys that I respect, he was a name that continued to come up to me. When we went through the interview process, I was highly impressed with him and just his thoughts and his philosophies about how he wants to operate the offense and thinking about really trying to fit our offensive scheme to doing some of the things that our playmakers do the best. That’s something that I look forward to.”

    On how Greg Olson’s offensive schemes will incorporate running back Darren McFadden:

    “That’s one of the things that we’re going to look at when we get back to Oakland is we’re really going to look at the things that Darren McFadden does really well and we’re going to try to ask him to do those things as much as possible, limit the times that we ask him to do some of the things that he may not be as good at. All of us as players have strengths and weaknesses, and we want to try to play to our best players’ strengths as much as possible.”

    On where the Raiders need to improve the most:

    “We’ve got a lot of areas that we have to improve on. Specifically, we have to really work to improve some things defensively to give us an opportunity to play defense the way that we want to be able to play defense. There are some pieces in place. Obviously this year we’re not quite as a hamstrung with the draft picks and the salary cap, so we’re going to have a little more flexibility to make a few more moves and do a few more things to help us from a personnel standpoint with our team.”

    On if linebacker Rolando McClain has a future with the Raiders:


    “Right now he’s part of the football team. He’s on our roster. We’ll let that play out as the offseason goes on.”

    On coaching at the Senior Bowl:


    “It’s fun. It gives us a great opportunity to get a chance to know these guys, not only to get to know them on the football field but it also gives us an opportunity to see what they’re like behind the scenes. That’s the specific advantage that we get in being able to coach these guys throughout the week.”
    Oh really? That's what he "said"? lol.

  3. #3
    mexicanraider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Posts
    1,249
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here's the video:

    Coach Allen on NFL AM

    I find it unacceptable from a media member that is paid hundredths of thousands of dollars for his job not to do his homework. Greg Olson was hired last Friday night. On Thursday (almost a week after) you ask DA when he's going to hire an OC? He was kind of surprised by the question. It was almost like "WTF?". Prepare better for an interview dummy.

  4. #4
    RaiderFootball's Avatar
    RaiderFootball is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Blackpearl34, CA
    Posts
    6,017

    Allen says there will be competition at the quarterback spot

    TP will have to improve his passing skills by leaps n bounds. Palmer will be the starter if we wanna win now.
    Give Me Production Over Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by OWShaddock View Post
    ...Success earns you the benefit of the doubt. Failure just earns you doubt.....

  5. #5
    AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,735
    On how Greg Olson’s offensive schemes will incorporate running back Darren McFadden:

    “That’s one of the things that we’re going to look at when we get back to Oakland is we’re really going to look at the things that Darren McFadden does really well and we’re going to try to ask him to do those things as much as possible, limit the times that we ask him to do some of the things that he may not be as good at. All of us as players have strengths and weaknesses, and we want to try to play to our best players’ strengths as much as possible.”

    My only question is why did it take him a year to realize this?! I would think he should have done this last offseason. It seems everyone knew that about McFadden except our head coach and his staff. Pretty scary.
    Stabler2Branch likes this.

  6. #6
    RAIDERS64 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanraider View Post
    Here's the video:

    Coach Allen on NFL AM

    I find it unacceptable from a media member that is paid hundredths of thousands of dollars for his job not to do his homework. Greg Olson was hired last Friday night. On Thursday (almost a week after) you ask DA when he's going to hire an OC? He was kind of surprised by the question. It was almost like "WTF?". Prepare better for an interview dummy.



    Thanks for the video link .

  7. #7
    ecnirp is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,970

    Typical DA talk


    I dont think Carson was "outstanding" last year. But good quotes.

  8. #8
    multiraider's Avatar
    multiraider is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    863
    DA is going to have to go with what he has until Reggie can get him who we need. just hope he can find one with in a year or two.

  9. #9
    NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,114
    lol@ "outstanding"

    taking coach-speak to a new level
    huggeebear and AF1PIMPN like this.

  10. #10
    ecnirp is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,970
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClapsPlease View Post
    lol@ "outstanding"

    taking coach-speak to a new level
    Yea saying stuff like that....Will make me not take anything he says seriously...

    I'm not giving up on Carson. I think he should be the guy.....But a QB who is 29th in QBR NFL Total Quarterback Rating - National Football League - ESPN

    was not outstanding...Not all his fault either, but c'mon DA.
    huggeebear and Dirt Dog like this.

  11. #11
    AF1PIMPN is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    215
    Dennis Allen:

  12. #12
    AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by ecnirp View Post

    I dont think Carson was "outstanding" last year. But good quotes.
    lmao!

  13. #13
    RAIDER_Dave is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by ecnirp View Post
    Yea saying stuff like that....Will make me not take anything he says seriously...

    I'm not giving up on Carson. I think he should be the guy.....But a QB who is 29th in QBR NFL Total Quarterback Rating - National Football League - ESPN

    was not outstanding...Not all his fault either, but c'mon DA.
    the guy #25 on that list is going to the Super Bowl

  14. #14
    ecnirp is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,970
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER_Dave View Post
    the guy #25 on that list is going to the Super Bowl
    That guy also was noted for his bad play throughout the regular season.

    Going to the Super Bowl? Credit to him for playing much better in the playoffs.

    8 tds 0 ints top 3 QBR

    Regular season 46.8 Playoffs 77.5

    NFL Total Quarterback Rating - National Football League - ESPN

  15. #15
    Commit2Excel's Avatar
    Commit2Excel is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    472
    On how Greg Olson’s offensive schemes will incorporate running back Darren McFadden:

    “That’s one of the things that we’re going to look at when we get back to Oakland is we’re really going to look at the things that Darren McFadden does really well and we’re going to try to ask him to do those things as much as possible, limit the times that we ask him to do some of the things that he may not be as good at. All of us as players have strengths and weaknesses, and we want to try to play to our best players’ strengths as much as possible.”

    Wow. DA sure is a learning "fast". Guess he missed Coaching 101.

    This is progress that Reggie will no doubt be pleased with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •