Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree328Likes

Thread: McKenzie says 'the culture will change' in Oakland

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board

McKenzie says 'the culture will change' in Oakland

Link: Q&A: Former Packers' exec McKenzie says 'the culture will change' in Oakland - JSOnline

Mobile, Ala. --- For 18 years, Reggie McKenzie had been a mainstay in Green Bay. From 1994 to 2012, McKenzie grew from a scout to director of player personnel to director of football operations. Now, he's finally running the show in Oakland. McKenzie's first year as the Oakland Raiders' general manager was reminiscent of Ted Thompson's first year as G.M. in Green Bay. Both teams went 4-12.

As McKenzie explains, rebuilding the Raiders starts from the inside out. Here's what the Raiders boss had to say about taking over, trying to instill a new culture in Oakland and a potential change at quarterback:

Q: How has it been taking over your own team?

McKenzie: “Coming off the season we had, you’re judged by wins and losses. Coming up with four wins is not good enough. But even going into, I knew what we had to get done. We’re trying to change a lot of things around here, starting with the culture. We have a rookie coach, we have a rookie G.M. We kind of took our bumps here. We’re getting the players we need to get in here, getting the salary cap together. I’ve got almost a full arsenal of draft picks. I’m missing my two and five. Wish I could have those. We’ll find a way to get this thing done.

“Let me tell you something — we’re moving in the right direction. And it’s all about making good decisions. We have a good core of players right now. We’re making sure we get the right fit of 53 players by the end of this whole process so we can start the season ready to roll.”

Q: What did you learn in Green Bay with Ted Thompson?

McKenzie: “It’s all about building your team — build your staff, build your locker room, put the right kind of people in. They want to be Raiders. They want to win. And it’s all about the team. We had that in Green Bay.”

Q: How do you change the culture?

McKenzie: “It takes time. You can change moving parts and all that. But to change the culture, that’s going to take some time. I’m trying to get that back. I’m trying to get the Raider Way back. And we’re going to get it done. But you change it day by day. You can’t just quickly overhaul everything. That’s not going to change anything.”

Q: So it's about the minor changes?

McKenzie: “That helps, that helps. I’m going to continue to do that. We made some changes with the staff, which is the way we need to go. That’s going to help that process. We’re going to get this thing rolling. It’s going to be fine now. The culture will change.”

Q: What's the culture you want?

McKenzie: “When people look at us, they’re going to see professionalism. They’re going to see a winning attitude. They’re going to be a part of a winning atmosphere. They’re going to see our brand of football, which is physical, tough, high-energy play. I want people to be excited to go see a Raider game. So that’s what we’re trying to get to.”

Q: Will Terrelle Pryor have a chance to start this year?

McKenzie: “I want Terrelle to get a shot to show himself at quarterback. I told the whole staff, everybody’s going to compete for their job. So he’s competing for his job. Whether he’s 1, 2 or 3, he’s competing for his job. Starter, that’ll be carried out by coaches at the end of training camp. Show me you’re competitive. You want to get better. We’ll see how it goes.”
    * The Proceeding Link is not affiliated with this site nor the provider. Listed for Information purposes only!

Hall of Famer
    I do NOT envy that man. Him and all the staff there have a huge job trying to make that organization winners. It's gonna take awhile but I believe RM is the guy that can pull it off

He's right though, it takes everyone being on the same page and getting some credibility back. Right now the fans don't trust this team and the media is gonna scrutinize every move this team makes

Hope we can get back to winning and watch some great Raider football again soon

Ayso is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Straight forward and true. It takes time, cannot overturn a culture of a team in 1 year after having the decades of corruption we had. R.I.P. Al, but he really put the Raiders in a hole.

I believe and trust Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen. Rookies or not (which they aren't anymore), they're the right men for the job. We'll get rolling with our offense next year and hopefully be a little dangerous. If we can score in the red-zone and get our WR's actually catching balls then we can do some damage. Now that McFadden has his Power Scheme back (not only he was used to, but the Linemen, too) I feel we're going to be pretty dangerous.

Dennis Allen is doing good things with the defense and we need to give him more time to get players / coach the current ones up. We saw progress and improvement with the Defense with different players. We're not too far off from being competitive (When I say competitive I don't mean playoffs. I mean actually looking like a team and not getting blown out every game)

Time is what every coach needs. Not everyone is Jim Harbaugh (although I'd argue the fact that he got put into a situation with an obvious more amount of talent than the Raiders ever sniffed in the past 8 years) and can turn around a team in 1 year. Most coaches take 2 - 4 years if not longer. Time is what the Raiders need to change the culture and I believe it'll happen.
    rhumbob likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Different take on Pryor than what has been reported/posted previously.

Per Reggie: "he’s competing for his job" and repeated it in the next sentence.

Reading between the lines, Pryor is NOT competing for the starting role. He IS competing to remain on this roster.
    Last edited by djh_raider; 01-24-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    My Raiders 2014 Mock:
    Round 1 - Trade #5 to Buffalo Bills for #9, #41, and #149
    #9 - WR, Mike Evans
    #36 - DE, Kony Ealy
    Round 2 trade #41 to Chicago Bears for #51 and #183
    #51 - QB, Jimmy Garappolo
    #67 - S, Ed Reynolds
    #107 - DT, Will Sutton
    #149 - RB, Lache Seastrunk
    #183 - G, Chris Watt
    #219 - DT, Beau Allen
    #235 - WR, Jeff Janis

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

Chiefhater is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I hope Mark Davis shows the patience to see this thing through. Hopefully we'll be at least more competitive this year to help show progress is being made.

OWShaddock is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by djh_raider View Post
    Different take on Pryor than what has been reported/posted previously.

Per Reggie: "he’s competing for his job" and repeated it in th next sentence.

Reading between the lines, Pryor is NOT competing for the starting role. He IS competing to remain on this roster.
    I read that differently. My take is that whether starter or a backup (or, as RM said, whether 1, 2 or 3), a player is always competing for his job.
    And, IMO, that's the way it should be.

Hall of Famer
    Sucks big time not having that 2 and 5.......but it beats the hell out of our last off season....
    The draft is so key......You keep your picks and use them wisely, something special will emerge....Much like the Raiders of the 70s......the core of which was built on great draft picks........
    crizpynutz, R8RFOX, Brazy and 1 others like this.

Raidersman321 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    As I've said before, this next draft class is setting foundation for the future...Very excited about the off-season hires on offense and special teams...I believe RM can evaluate talent and get us the talent and get put us in position to win. Love his mentality.
    snevillio likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by OWShaddock View Post
    I read that differently. My take is that whether starter or a backup (or, as RM said, whether 1, 2 or 3), a player is always competing for his job.
    And, IMO, that's the way it should be.
    Do not disagree there, OW.

However, a great deal has been made of Reggie supposedly saying that Pryor will be competing with Palmer to start. This quote from Reggie provides a different perspective to that.
    My Raiders 2014 Mock:
    #9 - WR, Mike Evans
    #36 - DE, Kony Ealy
    #67 - S, Ed Reynolds
    #107 - DT, Will Sutton
    #183 - G, Chris Watt
    #219 - DT, Beau Allen
    #235 - WR, Jeff Janis

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

Chairman of the Board
    Refreshing to actually see the powers that be have a plan... not this let's see what sticks philosophy
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Hall of Famer
    It's just my opinion, but RM is going about this the right way. You don't create a perennial winner over night.

smucky is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    A leader of the Raiders who wants to keep his draft picks. A refreshing change.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by foodisgood70 View Post
    It's just my opinion, but RM is going about this the right way. You don't create a perennial winner over night.
    Not according to the RFN experts...
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Brazy is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

In reggie we trust

In Reggie We Trust!
    Andrew Evenstar and Ayso like this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    Not according to the RFN experts...
    Yeah but the peanut gallery and those in the nose bleeds are regularly wrong for some reason (something about being unable to see a bigger picture or something)....
    My Raiders 2014 Mock:
    #9 - WR, Mike Evans
    #36 - DE, Kony Ealy
    #67 - S, Ed Reynolds
    #107 - DT, Will Sutton
    #183 - G, Chris Watt
    #219 - DT, Beau Allen
    #235 - WR, Jeff Janis

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information