Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Jed York (49ers owners) interview w/lessons for Raiders

Hall of Famer

Jed York (49ers owners) interview w/lessons for Raiders

I was listening to the younger York on KNBR (SF, AM radio) this morning and they were asking him how they went from a 7 year drought to being in the Super Bowl. In summary, he said they kept the good coaches from earlier regimes, some of those players, but then tried to get the best of the best for each position. He emphasized the importance of having good training facilities, strength coaches, trainers, and character guys. He said Coach Harbaugh was the "magic ingredient" at the end that pulled it all together. He said when they started 2010 season 0-5, they did not give up their plan. They ended up 6-10 (so went 6-5 the last 11 games) and they knew they were on the right track. Their general manager is really good folks and that helps a lot.

NEO
    NEO is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I think we have a good GM. (signings like Wheeler, draftees like Burris, trades like the back-up RB are good moves).

Im just not convinced yet that D.A. Is that magic ingredient that pulls it all together.

SF_Raider_Fan is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Jed York is full of sh*t.
    MT Raider likes this.

RaiderJ is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    I personally feel it all begins with the owner or whoever is making the personal decisions. They are responsible for bringing in the people and keeping people. If they don't have the right vision or the ability to find the right people, nothing can be done. The teams that have been bad year after year all have that problem; bad ownership.

raiderjohn622 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Good coaches, trainers is huge today, stability, is huge. To take his thoughts a step further, implement the Raider way. Keep things stable, systems, if it's power running, bring the coaches in that can coach it, if it's deep game, bring in the QB that can do it, if it's a 3-4 then bring in the guys who can play it, but don't change year to year. Sure you can implement new wrinkles, you don't use the pistol with Smith, but use it for Kaepernick.

I think for years, we'd go one year, ZBS, the next power, then back to ZBS, the most difficult aspect of the NFL today is getting the players, so have the system and go find the players that can stick for 3-5 years. To get to the Niner level, especially defensively, is next to impossible, those guys go with their starters the entire game, no subs and to find the players to fit the bill for that, incredible scouting, no need for situational subbing, drop the NT into zone coverage and send 3 backers on a blitz. Fun stuff.

It'll take patience from our end, but I see us defensively the last 3 games implementing multiple fronts to success. 2 down rushers, 2 edge standing up, don't know who's coming. Defensively, we'll be good, it's a matter of finding players and I think draft wise we're in good position to do that. The downhill run attack should also help keepour defense off the field too.

Naphtali is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Right we should really pay attention to this because this is the first SB ever played and they figured out for the rest of SB history
    ride on the jock of whatever is in the moment, when Jed York hired Singletary he was a straight clown for that

Ohh "weight training"....no one has ever thought of that

Its funny how fans will gravitate towards a guy like hes the messiah of football or something, like this is first SB ever played and hes the guy who figured out how to get there.....please we've seen at least 15 or so approaches work when it comes to organizations getting to the SB.
    inphinity, CTEX, lix333 and 2 others like this.

Hall of Famer
    GTFOH! Really? yeah because they invented strength and conditioning.....they go to the superbowl ever year right? oh wait! Please.....they had a playoff draft themselves you know?
    CTEX likes this.

Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

Hall of Famer
    In this era of football the athletes are maxed out physically to their highest potential. Most everyone is fast, strong, and has good enough football instincts to play in the NFL. The difference is coaching. Coaches can either take you to the next level and put you in a scheme that fits or put you in a scheme that doesn't and make you look like a complete bust. Obviously, this isn't true for every player because there are always guys that are just naturally elite. But even those guys if they go to a team with poor coaching they'll look like busts.

You see it every year, now more then ever. Guys that come out in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and some don't get even get drafted but in year 3 or 4 they look like they should have been a 1st round pick and play at an elite level for a competitive team. Its the coaching.
    DarkLordAlDavis likes this.

paul0660 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Part of the niners success is that York is out of the loop. He can yap all he wants, but most people know owners are irrelevant.

Singletary was an exhibitionist who did two things, at least: Got Vernon Davis's head screwed on right, and brought in talent on defense. The right guy to HC? Evidently not. A piece of that puzzle? Most definitely. He did have almost three years to do whatever he did.

Like I said, lucky.
    CTEX likes this.

coRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    coaching in the senior bowl 3 years in a row helped alot too. i read an article about this. they were able to really get to know these guys and talk to them one on one and get to know them as people as well as football players. this helped them immensely in the draft those 3 years.
    let's just hope it doesn't take us 3 years of coaching in it
    CTEX likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Very interesting takes on York and success. Keep 'em coming.

Hall of Famer

Jed York (49ers owners) interview w/lessons for Raiders

The 49ers have drafted some great players lately, and made a great free agent signing in Justin Smith.
    I think Harbaugh has done a good job, but he wouldn't look near as good with a crappy roster.

The owner doesn't strike me as football savvy, but he has some good people running the team.
    16 to 88 likes this.

SF_Raider_Fan is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by lix333 View Post
    In this era of football the athletes are maxed out physically to their highest potential. Most everyone is fast, strong, and has good enough football instincts to play in the NFL. The difference is coaching. Coaches can either take you to the next level and put you in a scheme that fits or put you in a scheme that doesn't and make you look like a complete bust. Obviously, this isn't true for every player because there are always guys that are just naturally elite. But even those guys if they go to a team with poor coaching they'll look like busts.

You see it every year, now more then ever. Guys that come out in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and some don't get even get drafted but in year 3 or 4 they look like they should have been a 1st round pick and play at an elite level for a competitive team. Its the coaching.

You are singing my song.
    lix333 likes this.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
    Part of the niners success is that York is out of the loop. He can yap all he wants, but most people know owners are irrelevant.

Singletary was an exhibitionist who did two things, at least: Got Vernon Davis's head screwed on right, and brought in talent on defense. The right guy to HC? Evidently not. A piece of that puzzle? Most definitely. He did have almost three years to do whatever he did.

Like I said, lucky.
    I have to agree. Success does take some good fortune and a few lucky breaks, to go a Franchises way. But you still have to have a good foundation, with a united, good Administration, a known philosophy and a way to do business (so everyone in the building knows their job, and what the organization is looking for) and every one has to work together, and has to work their asses off.
    Just Win Baby

Dayg0stylz is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    So what he's saying is....if you have good players, good coaches, a good facility and a good plan you'll succeed.

Innovative...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information