Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Fisher LT with 1st pick???

Hall of Famer

Fisher LT with 1st pick???

http://raidernationtimes.com/article.php?id=9566

I prefer defense but I wouldn't be mad

Chairman of the Board
    From a position standpoint I think the only positions I would be upset about taking at #3 would be RB and WR. Not that i think we can count on who we have at those positions right now but we are so bad in the other positions that we have to look elsewhere first. So if we go LT, G, QB, or any defensive position I think there is a strong argument that can be made for all of those positions. Whoever we pick he needs to pan out for once.

Hall of Famer
    Veldheer is a good and young LT that was put in the wrong system this season. We will likely run power this year and he will dominate. This pick has to be defense in my opinion.
    DmacMVP and Sithman like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by guydon View Post
    Veldheer is a good and young LT that was put in the wrong system this season. We will likely run power this year and he will dominate. This pick has to be defense in my opinion.
    I dont think Veldheer has ever been dominant, nor will he ever be IMO. He is servicable but thats about all I can say about his ability. I have never been impressed with him and if RM and co chose to upgrade the LT position and move Veldheer to RT then I would be all for it as long as the guy we take actually turns out to be a stud LT.
    LaRaider2010 and MaxxxPayne like this.

cat444 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

no

no no no , we have already an adequate Lt , we are so many holes we cannot fix with FA , we cannot pick a LT in round 1. i willl be very furious with a pick like that.
    JohnnyDemonic likes this.

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Not at 3, I think we have to address the DL with Star or whoever stands out as best pass rushing DE available.

If we trade down and Fisher or Joeckel are available, I wouldnt be mad if they are the pick and move Veldheer over and having that RT we've been so desparately needing.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    I dont think Veldheer has ever been dominant, nor will he ever be IMO. He is servicable but thats about all I can say about his ability. I have never been impressed with him and if RM and co chose to upgrade the LT position and move Veldheer to RT then I would be all for it as long as the guy we take actually turns out to be a stud LT.
    this year was only his second year. He is going in to his third. His first year i thought he looked VERY good for a rookie. This year they completely changed schemes on him. Going back to the power scheme and going in to his "get it" year he will be very good. Who uses a 6' 8" LT in a zone scheme? He will be very good for us.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Hall of Famer
    Fisher is getting raps from the likes of Mayock and co and is on the rise. Some say he could be at least as good as Luke Joeckel.

A lot depends on the direction Andy Reid and the Chiefs go at QB. If they sign a veteran they may not look at drafting Smith and taking Joeckel #1 overall.

For me, I think #3 overall is too high for Fisher. So, again the trade down option and still get the guy you want is the way to go.

That said, I still do not think LT is the main need at #3. The Raiders need a RT and that can be had later. Sure, Veldheer did not have a great 2012 but he did get better as the year wore on and he got used to the ZBS. Still, he will be much better in a power scheme in 2013.
    Chewy316 likes this.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

Hall of Famer
    I still say we trade down and stack picks but if we have to take an LT, it better be Joekel or at the very least, someone who is absolutely better than Veldheer so he can move to RT. Get a mean C and RG so Wiz

DE, DT, CB, MLB and O linemen are what we need right now. We also need to either trade for, draft or find an UDFA to return kicks other than Ford. Goodson is a good backup for DMC but we need a bruiser to get the tough yards

Honestly I'm more concerned about the coaching and playcalling this year. We all know the talent is severely lacking but fresh bodies without good consistent coaching has been going on too long in Oakland. Lack of player development has killed this franchise. Who is the WR coach? It seems like our recieving corp took a step back this season, either that or it was Knapp's scheme.

ShimSham is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    Ask Jared Allen how "Serviceable" Veldheer is. His Sack Streak may disagree.

danax is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    IMO 1) No way DA and RM add another LT and have an "LT controversy" where moving Veldheer to RT for a rookie would have fans and media questioning the idea and the pick. And, how's Fisher as a run blocker?
    2) RT and guard(s) are more pressing OL needs. If Dmac is gonna be running up the middle more, those middle 3 guys need to be studs.

The fact that there are now 2 highly regarded LTs in the 1st round, along with Tyler Wilson if he has a good week, most likely will free up the rest of the pack, which, in the case of trading down, would mean Warmack and a decent DE or CB might become more available later in the round or in the 2nd.
    raiderluv likes this.

corleone is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimSham View Post
    And then the next week Peppers destroyed him.
    MadBomber24 likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimSham View Post
    Watch the film of that game again because Veldheer got beat by Allen quite a few times without getting the sack. But he caused Veldheer all kinds of trouble. Veldheer battled, no doubt and he did enough to keep allen from getting a sack but lets not pretend that he dominated Allen. Veldheer when left one on one (which wasnt that many times in the game) got abused. It just worked out in our favor that we had a good play called in those situations that allowed the QB to get the ball out.

Raiders Baby! is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Veldheer is the kind of guy you can plug in all over the line and he will be successful. I think he is an excellent young OT, but there is no reason he can't play RT. In fact, if we acquired Fisher and bumped Veldheer right I think Veldheer would be one of the best RT in the game. If Fisher panned out, we could grab a guard or two later in the draft or in FA as depth or a possible replacement for Carlisle and/or Lucas Nix and have one of the most competitive OLs in football.

Personally, I'd like to trade back like 4 spots and grab Warmack. I think that pretty much accomplishes the same goal as drafting Fisher while also adding much-needed picks. Who knows, if Fisher's stock is rising so much maybe someone like Taylor Lewan from Michigan will fall into the second round and we can grab him, too. That's wishful thinking, but the point is that I think trading back is something we should do if we can find a worthwhile partner.

I know a lot of people here are shouting for defense, but the reality is that drafting in the trenches on either side of the ball would be huge. I'd be good with a defensive pick, as well, but make it a defensive lineman if we do that.

coogi is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    this year was only his second year. He is going in to his third. His first year i thought he looked VERY good for a rookie. This year they completely changed schemes on him. Going back to the power scheme and going in to his "get it" year he will be very good. Who uses a 6' 8" LT in a zone scheme? He will be very good for us.
    second year??no this is his third year..you must be thinking of wiz..anyways he did look better in a gap scheme but not sure he ever looked elite/dominate

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information