Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: The TRUTH behind what happened with the Raiders at Super Bowl XXXVII.

Hall of Famer
    The thing that sticks in my mind is that Callahan never changed Gruden's audibles -- what the heck did he think would happen when Gannon started barking out plays and formations using the exact same verbiage that he learned from Gruden? Callahan summed it up perfectly less than a year later:

"We've got to be the dumbest team in America in terms of playing the game. I'm highly critical because of the way we give games away -- we give 'em away! Period. It's embarrassing, and I represent that..."

Uhmmm, Bill? It ain't the team that's dumb. Best case scenario, he's an idiot for changing the game plan and not the audibles.
    cheapshotartist likes this.

kultan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kinz View Post
    Seems like Callahan is going to give his side of the story just the way he should ... in court. He is going to treat that nasty bitch bitch Brown just like he should, either prove him a liar in court and take his money, or force him to publicly take take back his words. You don't play with trash like this on their own level, society has ways to deal with them, and that is what you will see.
    Vilma got tossed on his head with the whole suit against Goddell and you think that Callahan has a shot? So basically most political people can sue radio talk show hosts and commentators because of what they say? So when a republican on the air says Barack Hussein Obama is a communist and a plant by the Muslim brotherhood, they can get their behinds sued? The reason why these things don't go forward is because it's REALLY hard to prove and it's made to be that way or else you wouldn't be able to try ANYTHING else with all the ambulance chasing Lawyers out there getting in on the sue someone because they said something bad about me game.

So Rice is a B#$h too? Is Callahan going to sue everyone? Nah, He aint suing anyone. Did Roger Clemens sue anyone and win ANYTHING for someone making him look bad?

Honestly as bad as we played I wouldn't be suprised if Callahan GAVE GRUDEN our first 15 scripted plays. (Now that's a conspiracy theory.) I've heard football players say that in all their years THEY'VE never had their gameplan changed on Friday.

We had a lot going against us. Gruden was in there heads, 1 week to prepare before superbowl instead of two, Barrett Robbins AWOL etc.
    and if we had, in the BIGGEST GAME of the Raiders history since their last superbowl in the 80s, a change at the 11th hour for anything OTHER Robbins going AWOL that's a PROBLEM.

Crockett said plainly Robbins not Gannon called the plays and protections when he was running plays. Robbins was replaced by a LONG SNAPPER. That was a hit to the pysche.

I'd be mad if I were Brown honestly. The ONE SHOT he had to get a ring and THAT happened? I'm pretty sure I remembered Al asking WHY DIDN'T WE RUN THE BALL against them after the game, can't find an article but that might be just be hindsight 20/20 in effect on his part.

Marlo Black is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

The TRUTH behind what happened with the Raiders at Super Bowl XXXVII.

So this coach is gonna go to court to prove that he is a moron instead of being a malicious vindictive piece of **** to a football team.

Yeah no trial. He would never coach on any level if he tries to sue them and his credibility would be completely shot.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kultan View Post
    Vilma got tossed on his head with the whole suit against Goddell and you think that Callahan has a shot? So basically most political people can sue radio talk show hosts and commentators because of what they say? , they can get their behinds sued? The reason why these things don't go forward is because it's REALLY hard to prove and it's made to be that way or else you wouldn't be able to try ANYTHING else with all the ambulance chasing Lawyers out there getting in on the sue someone because they said something bad about me game.

So Rice is a B#$h too? Is Callahan going to sue everyone? Nah, He aint suing anyone. Did Roger Clemens sue anyone and win ANYTHING for someone making him look bad?

Honestly as bad as we played I wouldn't be suprised if Callahan GAVE GRUDEN our first 15 scripted plays. (Now that's a conspiracy theory.) I've heard football players say that in all their years THEY'VE never had their gameplan changed on Friday.

We had a lot going against us. Gruden was in there heads, 1 week to prepare before superbowl instead of two, Barrett Robbins AWOL etc.
    and if we had, in the BIGGEST GAME of the Raiders history since their last superbowl in the 80s, a change at the 11th hour for anything OTHER Robbins going AWOL that's a PROBLEM.

Crockett said plainly Robbins not Gannon called the plays and protections when he was running plays. Robbins was replaced by a LONG SNAPPER. That was a hit to the pysche.

I'd be mad if I were Brown honestly. The ONE SHOT he had to get a ring and THAT happened? I'm pretty sure I remembered Al asking WHY DIDN'T WE RUN THE BALL against them after the game, can't find an article but that might be just be hindsight 20/20 in effect on his part.
    You are probably right he wont win if he sues. Do I think it is a better world because republicans can call Barak Hussein Obama a communist plant with impunity? No. I think Callahan is responding to this in the best way possible. But you are likely right he wouldn't win a lawsuit.

Edit: I listened again to what Brown said. You are right. Brown said that "others were saying that Callahan deliberately sabotaged the team because he hated the Raiders". Brown is that type of weasly azzhole. He smears someone else by saying what he wants and says they are the words of nameless others. Puke.

Hall of Famer
    You are probably right he wont win if he sues. Do I think it is a better world because republicans can call Barak Hussein Obama a communist plant with impunity? No. I think Callahan is responding to this in the best way possible. But you are likely right he wouldn't win a lawsuit.
    Republicans refer to Obama as a communist and Democrats refer to Republicans as Nazis but no one ever gets sued. Why Callahan would ever threaten a lawsuit is beyond me. What's he going to sue for, Slander?

Starter
    The truth about that game is that we lost...really bad. It was an embarrassment.

Please don't forget that Tim Brown is a smart man. This is a deliberate strategy to get back at his former coach who ruined his chances of ever getting a ring AND to also get his name out there for Hall of Fame purposes. He learned this type of strategy from Al Davis.

leafs43 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    After actually seeing the interview rather than read it, Tim Brown seems to be honest and candid.

Sure it's his point of view and I still hold that Callahan was just a retard, but it really makes you think about what really happened.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SLVR and Black View Post
    Republicans refer to Obama as a communist and Democrats refer to Republicans as Nazis but no one ever gets sued. Why Callahan would ever threaten a lawsuit is beyond me. What's he going to sue for, Slander?

Guess I have a naiive view of the world. You don't publically call someone something unless you can back it up. It isn't a republican thing, democrats do it just the same. In a non-legal way (god I'm glad Swami ain't here) ...

Slander: The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

In a non-legal way, I think Tim Brown did slander Callahan. He implied that Callahan deliberately lost the superbowl. Would Callahan win if he sued, probably not. Should he win, in my opinion yes.

Pro Bowler
    What a disgusting, effing mess. Waking up that morning in S.D. to Robbins AWOL, walking into that stadium, my heart truly felt like The Raiders were going to leave with our fourth Ring. My mind really did not know what to expect. Walking out of Qualcomm that evening, was the most disappointed I have ever been. It was just a shame, all the way around. From Gruden being our foe, to Robbins and Williams, to this crap. That game has just bothered me so much, now I see it has bothered Tim too. Bottom line, we will never know.Tampa won between the lines, and that's all that matters. We can't replay the game. I will go to my grave believing we win that game if we face any coach besides Gruden. It's almost like the Bucs were able to see the game unfold before it actually had, then go back and know exactly where to be on the field, to stop our offense. Sucks.....

Hall of Famer
    Guess I have a naiive view of the world. You don't publically call someone something unless you can back it up. It isn't a republican thing, democrats do it just the same. In a non-legal way (god I'm glad Swami ain't here) ...

Slander: The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

In a non-legal way, I think Tim Brown did slander Callahan. He implied that Callahan deliberately lost the superbowl. Would Callahan win if he sued, probably not. Should he win, in my opinion yes.
    In my world, people should treat each other with respect and carefully and honestly examine their own lives before even thinking about slamming someone else. I think that Brown was short sided and petty for implying that Callahan intentionally lost the game but Callahan was equally unwise in his game prep -- failing to change any of the audibles was beyond irresponsible. No lawsuit, both parties should shut up, go home and appreciate the lives that they both are living. There are many who would love to trade places with them.

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trur8r View Post
    WOW!! That whole changing the game plan thing was stupid and i'm very surprised Al Davis was not aware of the way Callahan was being with his players. I'm sure Al would have fired his ass.
    Al Davis was very well aware of what was going on with Callahan and the players ... and sided with the players.

It had been going on for quite a while. Several veterans Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Charles Woodson, Charlie Garner, among others, were openly insubordinate with Callahan. They were used to being treated like divas and pampered by Gruden and Davis in the past. When Callahan took over he tried to impose his authority and establish some team discipline. Brown, Rice, and Woodson in particular thought they were above it. Callahan was very awkward and inflexible in the way he tried to establish his control over the team and there was a major clash between him and the veterans. There was very little meaningful communication between Callahan and many of the veterans throughout the whole year. The players openly ignored Callahan's rules and he routinely fined them for even minor rules violations. Davis was much, much closer to many of those players (C. Woodson, Rice, Brown, Garner, R. Woodson, etc.) than he was to Callahan. So, the players went directly to him with the beefs they had with Callahan.

On another front, independent of the issues that developed between Callahan and the players, Callahan also had problems dealing with Davis starting early in his tenure as HC. Callahan was not a big Davis fan when Gruden was HC. He resented Davis' interference and how he treated Gruden. He never liked or trusted Davis and did not really covet the HC position. Davis was never all that impressed with Callahan either, and, to this day, I don't know what it was that convinced Davis to name Callahan HC after Gruden left. Its hard to say why Callahan took the job. He did not like the organization and was here only because it was a job and he was friends with Gruden. I'm sure the $$$ and notoriety of being an NFL HC had something to do with it ... but, when he became Raiders HC, Bill Callahan was not the happiest man in the world. This was a team with VERY HIGH expectations and, from the time Callahan took the job, Davis was on his azz in a major way. He was relentless and second-guessed everything Callahan did ... even when they won. When the team had a 4 game losing streak early in the season, Davis went on a classic rampage. Many people have said there was much more dysfunction within that Raiders team than any other Raider team before or after.

Anyway, so when the players go to Davis with the beefs they had with Callahan, Davis completely supports the players, rescinds fines, etc. This totally undermines Callahan with the veteran players and they become even more insubordinate and the dysfunction and noxious atmosphere in the locker room continues to grow. Somehow (probably through Gannon's influence and the overall talent), the team continues to win ... and win.

Who knows what happened in San Diego???? I don't really believe the intentional "sabotage" thing ... but I think something sinister really did happen.
    Raidermofojeff likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kultan View Post
    Vilma got tossed on his head with the whole suit against Goddell and you think that Callahan has a shot? So basically most political people can sue radio talk show hosts and commentators because of what they say? So when a republican on the air says Barack Hussein Obama is a communist and a plant by the Muslim brotherhood, they can get their behinds sued? The reason why these things don't go forward is because it's REALLY hard to prove and it's made to be that way or else you wouldn't be able to try ANYTHING else with all the ambulance chasing Lawyers out there getting in on the sue someone because they said something bad about me game.

Seems that little bitch Timmy is a bit more afraid of a lawsuit than you would be.
    kultan likes this.

kultan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Seems that little bitch Timmy is a bit more afraid of a lawsuit than you would be.

He's backpeddling like Deion Sanders in his prime! That's weak. If you put it out there like that and say that you've been saying it for years, why are you not staying with it now? Ok so instead of having a underhanded coach we had a dumb one who didn't have us prepared for the big game.

I think that Brown probably also got a phone call or letter letting him know of the ramifications of his actions. I'm gonna listen to the recap after work but the recap is not flattering to him at all.
    kinz likes this.

bear_abl is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    I wake up yesterday morning and see this story scrolling across the bottom of my tv screen...and i just think to myself...why? Its been 10+ years and it was one of the worst days of my life (in regards to sports and entertainment), but i just want to forget it. I was barely getting over it and now we bring it back up.

mexicanraider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information