• 3 Post By Palehorse
  • 1 Post By Meninblack
  • 1 Post By coogi
  • 1 Post By kinz

Thread: Q&A with greg olsen-describes himself as a gap scheme guy

Meninblack is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Q&A with greg olsen-describes himself as a gap scheme guy

MOBILE, Ala. --While the Raiders were talking with the likes of "name guys" Norv Turner, Mike Martz and Marc Trestman about potentially taking over as offensive coordinator, Greg Olson bided his time.

Olson seemingly came out of nowhere to formally get the gig on Saturday and has been playing catch-up and nice-to-meet-you ever since. In fact, the former offensive coordinator in St. Louis and Tampa Bay, as well as Jacksonville's assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach in 2012 is using Senior Bowl week to observe, rather than teach as Raiders senior offensive assistant Al Saunders will call plays in the game.

[RELATED: Saunders to call offensive plays at Senior Bowl]

So who is Olson, and how did he become the guy tabbed to seemingly jumpstart Darren McFadden's career while figuring out how to make the most out of Terrelle Pryor's unique skill set?

Olson talked with CSNCalifornia.com following the North squad's practice Tuesday morning here at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. Following, then, a Q&A with the Raiders' new offensive coordinator...

Question: Busy last 72 hours, not calling plays this week so what is your role here? Answer: One is to, obviously, observe the seniors coming out, but also just to watch the staff and see how the staff works together and that was kind of the goal coming in, was to kind of get to know the staff and see how they work and how they prepare the players and work with the players on the field.

Q: What appealed to you about this job? A: There's only 32 offensive coordinator jobs in the league, so it was a chance for me, again, to get into a role of responsibility as a playcaller. So, I'm excited to get back in. I enjoyed my time in Tampa as an offensive coordinator, and in St. Louis, so it's just another opportunity for me to take on the role as an offensive coordinator.

Q: What is your offensive philosophy, or can guys get pigeonholed by a description? A: Yeah, I think you really have to build your offense around the personnel you have on your football team. So that can change, certainly, depending upon the players that you have. You know, I think we're going to be a -- you can throw out all the cliches -- we're going to be smart, disciplined, a mentally and physically tough football team but really, we're going to build it around the playmakers that we have on the team and the things that they do well.

Q: When you look at the Raiders' personnel, what jumps out at you? A: I see a very good quarterback in Carson Palmer that still has years left. So I'm excited about him and the way that he's played, and the history that he's had in this league. I see a very explosive running back in Darren McFadden. A matchup problem -- Marcel Reece. I see a tight end (Brandon Myers) that had a very good year last year. And a solid offensive line. So, I haven't had a chance to study them as much as I will when I get back, but I see a good football team.

Q: What do you see with Terrelle Pryor, or too soon to tell yet? A: Still down the road a bit. I haven't had a chance to watch a lot of tape, but I will when I get back. But certainly, with as athletic as he is, there should be some things that he'll be able to help us (with) down the road as well.

Q: From afar, what was the impression of the Raiders offense, when you were in St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville? A: Explosive athletes. And again, they have been explosive in the (recent) past. The whole vertical passing game that Mr. (Al) Davis, for years, anybody that thought of the Oakland Raiders always thought about a physical, intimidating, fast football team. And I still see some of those things.

Q: Is that how you consider yourself as a playcaller, or does it simply go back to fitting your personnel? A: Yeah, but we're going to have to create explosive plays. You've got to be great in scoring touchdowns inside the red zone. You've got to be able to convert third down. And those are the things we're focused on with this football team and then you've got to find, who are the playmakers on our team that can help us do those things, and can we get the ball in their hands?

Q: Obviously, the zone-blocking scheme last year did not work for McFadden, so you're saying you apply the offense to your personnel? A: Yeah, no question. And what do they do well? What type of runners do we have? What type of blockers do we have up front? And I think you have to base your scheme… upon that, as opposed to coming in and saying, This is what I do and this is what I've done. You've got to take a look at your personnel and find out what they do best and try to build upon those strengths.

Q: Then if you did have to category yourself as an O.C., are you more a power guy, a zone guy? A: I'm a gap-scheme guy. I think I'm multiple in what we're doing schematically. But I'm more of a downhill run-type guy, because I think it sets up the play-action pass. But you know, again, wait until we get back in the office and see what we got.

Q: Reggie McKenzie even said McFadden was a north-south runner, not a lateral runner. A: Yeah, I agree with that. And what I've seen from Darren McFadden, he possesses that breakout speed that you're looking for.

Tags: NFL, Oakland Raiders, Greg Olson, Top Stories Paul Gutierrez is CSNCalifornia.com's Raiders Insider. Follow him on Twitter @PGutierrezCSN.
    Boostjunkie likes this.

weber_2 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Word. Run plays that fit your players. Its not rocket science its football
    Raider Ran likes this.

danax is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by weber_2 View Post
    Word. Run plays that fit your players. Its not rocket science its football
    Philosophically the anti-Knapp.
    I like that he mentioned emphasizing red zone and 3rd down conversions. Maybe he's just spouting standard lines or maybe he already knows the Raiders' offensive weaknesses.
    We'll find out in the preseason if he's conservative, ballsy like Hue or something else.

Palehorse is offline Banned
    Veteran
    He mentioned Reece.

I'm sold for now.

Of all the things that p'd me off about knapp, his use of Reece really hit home. When McFadden was hurt, Reece tore it up. McFadden comes back, Reece isn't used again. Just throw him in for different looks if nothing else. cripes.

ismail86 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I like it. I really do believe that we have olaymakers on this team (DMC, Pryor, Moore, Ford, Streater, Reece, Meyers etc) just need a good playcaller

Meninblack is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Notice he said multiple run schemes haha everything multiple I like it
    Raider Ran likes this.

fmt600 is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie

Q&A with greg olsen-describes himself as a gap scheme guy

Sounds GREAT!

Hall of Famer
    I like what I read and I am ready to see what Olsen can bring to the table he agreed with Reggie on McFadden which Knapp was blind or too stupid to realize.

coogi is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ismail86 View Post
    I like it. I really do believe that we have olaymakers on this team (DMC, Pryor, Moore, Ford, Streater, Reece, Meyers etc) just need a good playcaller
    we do have players that can make some nice plays..the thing that hurts us he most besides playcalling is just simple execution..our WRs can catch a bomb downfield or take a short pass and run 20+ yards..then they drop the next 2 passes..even under the two years hue was here it was the same thing..schemes and playcalling will help but we also have to hope our players just get better period..
    JUSTWINBABY9111 likes this.

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Biggest difference between him and Knapp....He wanted to talk about the players more than his scheme or philosophy.

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
    The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
    The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
    A. A. Milne

Hall of Famer
    If the only improvement is scoring in the red zone, I'd be relatively happy with that.
    Dirt Dog likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Well I definitely like everything he is saying. Interested to see how this offense looks next year.

coleer is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Power running is great but Mcfadden needs to be limited in his carries if he is to stay healthy.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ottomatic1 View Post
    Biggest difference between him and Knapp....He wanted to talk about the players more than his scheme or philosophy.
    that's true. man that "system" sh!t got so annoying to hear about...

Thread Information