Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Open competition?

Hall of Famer
    It should be an open competition. He shwed some great things in week 17. His comp % wasn't great, but he was dead on, those were drops. He is just going to get better. The kid has really started to win me over. The new QB's in the NFL Cam, RG3, Wilson, Luck... I think Pryor can fit right in and be dangerous. He seems to work his butt off, and seems to mature by the day. I like it.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Hall of Famer
    This is a good thing. Pryor isn't nearly as good at throwing the ball as Palmer and doesn't have the experience at reading defenses but that comes in time. They will both be starting off with the same amount of time with a new playbook and possibly splitting reps at OTAs and camp.

I'd like to see what Pryor has when he gets a chance with the first team. He def has escapability in the pocket. If he can polish up his throwing mechanics and be more accurate on the run, I think we would have ourselves a pretty healthy competitiion. That said, it will all depend who gets the reps in practice

Okie is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    That's fair Joe but your talking about a QB who the franchise not only committed to but designed an offense around to a guy who's been asked to play in someone else's vision of an offense, regardless of talent.

People forget, Kaep was thought as even more raw than Pryor coming out of Nevada. Even those of us that wanted him pretty bad looked at him as a 2-3 year project. It's amazing what good coaching and hard work can accomplish. Pryors putting in the work, let's see what he can do with some solid and most importantly "open" coaching.
    SF_Raider_Fan likes this.

ecnirp is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie View Post
    That's fair Joe but your talking about a QB who the franchise not only committed to but designed an offense around to a guy who's been asked to play in someone else's vision of an offense, regardless of talent.

People forget, Kaep was thought as even more raw than Pryor coming out of Nevada. Even those of us that wanted him pretty bad looked at him as a 2-3 year project. It's amazing what good coaching and hard work can accomplish. Pryors putting in the work, let's see what he can do with some solid and most importantly "open" coaching.
    Well I've stated numerous times that Kaep had NO TOUCH whatsoever on his passes.

However, dude possessed a cannon of an arm. More velocity on his throws than Cam Newton. Also...It was reported how smart he is.

I'm surprised he's this good...this early.

However, Kaep has a QB GURU in Harbaugh......that goes a long way. 49ers fans were ripping Kaep's mechanics as early as last summer.

49ers fans thought Kaep may be the FOURTH best QB on the team...behind Alex Smith, Josh Johnson and Scott Tolzien.
    Harbaugh helps a lot...

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I hate to break it to everyone, but Reggie said this exact same thing about Pryor competing last year. He wants competition at every position. In the interview, he never said the term starter, but let him compete and see what he can do in the pre season.

I'm thinking this is a way over reaction to what Reggie has always said.

It could also be an absolute genius play to raise TP's trade value.

TPeezy2 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ecnirp View Post
    What I do find odd is...

Some people here HATED Gradkowksi, but love Pryor for some of the same reasons. "Fiesty, rah rah guy.....with a noodle arm)

But then...Some people LOVED Gradkowski.....and hate Pryor "Fiesty, rah rah guy...with a noodle arm"

Same dude...but the people's view has flipped....
    Except physically they arent comparable. Pryor is 6'5, 235 pounds, and one of the most athletic, if not most athletic QB in the NFL. You can make an argument he's one of the finest pure athletes in the NFL. Bruce Gradkowski was 6 feet tall and didnt have nearly the athleticism Pryor did or present the kind of threat running the ball like Pryor does.

If Gradkowski had Pryor's physical tools and athleticism, people would have been much higher on him. But he didnt. He had solid athleticism back there, but he didnt strike fear into defensive players or coaches.

Chairman of the Board
    Good.

Let the best man win.

What if Pryor does beat out Palmer. Palmer will be the best paid #2 QB in the NFL (isn't he due $16 mil next year??)

JUNiOR CURT is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    & You Guys Bashed Me For Saying Pryor & McFadden Were Untouchable: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...lle-pryor.html

I Was Right!

raiders_fan67 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Palmer will be the starter and I will remind you come September and you can count on it
    JohnnyDemonic likes this.

JohnnyDemonic is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    I think it's just the same sh*t you hear from every HC & GM. If it's truly a contest, Pryor will impove over the offseason while Palmer remains flat. Palmer makes mistakes that a veteran starting QB shouldn't make. IMO, we should trade Palmer and use the draft to build around Pryor--we're rebuilding so we can takes chances like that. Who would take Palmer? AZ, NYJ, CLE, PHL?

Like I said, I think it's just talk and Palmer will start.

Live.B.A.Raida is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Let me just say this about every coach, GM says the same thing about open competition. This is absolutely not true at all when it comes to the QB position if the team has a clear cut starter. Would Denver say there is an open QB competition? Patriots? Packers? Steelers? Colts? Redskins? Seahawks? Panthers? You get my point? Hell no they wouldn't. In fact Seattle just said recently Flynn is on the trade block because Wilson is the clear cut starter. Now I fully expect Palmer to beat out Pryor as starter but Palmer is not the long term solution and maybe only around another season or 2 at the most. Hopefully what this does is encourage Pryor to work like a mad mad at correcting his flaws.
    Dirt Dog likes this.

ecnirp is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNiOR CURT View Post
    & You Guys Bashed Me For Saying Pryor & McFadden Were Untouchable: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...lle-pryor.html

I Was Right!

But yea, kudos. Good call. Would appreciate any Raider info you share from here on out.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNiOR CURT View Post

I Was Right!
    Why Do You Write Like A Retard In All Your Posts
    mike taylor likes this.

Dudeness is offline Banned
    Veteran
    ain't afraid aint scared cuz !

inphinity is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    start tp then.

I want Manziel.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information