Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Arm Chair, Madden, come 1 come all!!!!

raiderjohn622 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by agular9 View Post
    great opinions guys, but blackness asked for arm chair GM's to layout their plans. I just did a mock plan of what I have heard others say since I am under the impression that Reggie is doing the right thing (all that he can) by having us take a GIANT step backwards in order to EXCEL forward in the future. If "Raider" fans cant back the organization, they should jump ship and stop... nevermind.
    Uhh, jump ship, so if our President is not elected, we go back to where our ancestors came from for 4 years and then come back if our President is elected? Geez, one man is entitled to an opinion. Die hards wake up Sundays fired up because it's game day, we go to games, sit in front of the TV or computer and root our hearts out. "Palmer you idiot, Kelly.....again, Knapp why'd you call the seam route when all we needed was one yard."

We're all Monday morning QBs, arm chair QBs, that's what makes this forum a great thing, we all have opinions and ideas, and thoughts to share, because we love the Raiders. I think we're frustrated, more than anything. It seems we didn't take that step back, if you take that step back, you cut everybody, go 1-15 secure the top pick, eliminate all the dead weight in one year, but that did not take place, we kept Carson, Seymour, Kelly, all the vets, with this hope that it's a "quick rebuild." It didn't happen and along the way we saw mistakes, no back up long snapper, the backup QB having his timing off(that's what he said). Backups were not prepared and that lies on the HC for not pushing those things to be done. He's also done great things, the multiple fronts started up in the last 2-3 games, 2 down rushers and 2 stand up edge guys, DB blitzes to confuse blockers. Lets see what we got and fits our system defensively.

My idea, lets put a Raider system in place. If it's power with a deep game, then lets keep it, hire the necessary coaches to fill the voids, guys who can teach it. Defensively Allen/Tarver has a great start and now it's a matter of finding players. Even if Allen isn't around, our brass Mark Davis, Trask, RM need to know we need to hire guys to coach the Raider way, not guys to bring in new systems, etc. New systems mean a completely new set of players to fill the bill. In 2 years, maybe we can Allen, but we will still have the bulk of the players, lets keep those systems in place, rather than changing it completely. HC's change the culture, change communication methods, teaching methods, but keep the system in place, with new wrinkles, when you have stability on the field you can try new wrinkles, there's a chemistry on the field you can't teach. Look at the Niners defense, rarely do they sub it's they're basic 3-4 set of starters the entire game. There's chemistry, they've been together for years. We need to establish that, regardless of who's coaching. Davis can say, oh I don't know football....dude you know enough that we suck.

Dude don't ever tell me to stop being a Raider fan because I don't agree, that pisses me off more than anything. It's like telling me to get out of America because I didn't vote for the winning president. You still go out there and support the new guy's campaign, you help the old lady cross the street, open the door, rake your neighbor's leaves, buy the homeless on the street a sandwich, you don't agree with his policies, but you can still do your part to support him. We wouldn't be here if we didn't care.
    Live.B.A.Raida likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blackness View Post
    So, here's what this thread is about.I've been reading throughout this season & some of last year on how people are of the opinion RM was the wrong choice.DA was the wrong choice.This staff needed to be completely blown up today.SO, here's your chance.This is NOT a thread to start slamming others.We all will have different thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc.Explain in decent detail how YOU would solve the current issues of the Raiders.Given EXACT same scenario of cap problems, no picks & roster "cupboard" is next to bare.You can fill the shoes as R.McKenzie or say your team president, over McKenzie, whatever.Tell me how things would get resolved in a better fashion and in the same amount of time or faster.I will chime in on my ideas later & I, along w/ others will likely question your thoughts/suggestions.So, be prepared to back them w/ logic & sound reasoning for these ideas.
    To be honest I believe Reggie has done all that he possibly could with what he has had at his disposal. It is his first year and he will make mistakes. However, the good far outweighs the bad.

Breaking down some of the moves made:
    Firing Hue Jackson
    What choice did he have. Firstly, Hue thought he was a GM. Secondly, the team went 1-4 down the stretch and Hue totally lost the lockerroom. Reggie had to make his imprint immediately getting a HC he thought that would work. Bold and risky, yes. But a move that needed to be made, nonetheless.

Hiring Dennis Allen
    Dennis Allen is well respected around the NFL, in spite of what the naysayers on here would like the rest of us to believe. He is a rookie HC, but that fits with Reggie's idea. Build the team through the draft and UDFA's. Reggie hired a HC that will grow with him and into the job. Being a rookie HC brings its problems. But this is a long-term fix not a 1 year turn around. One important thing is that DA has changed the culture of the lockerrom. The cancers have gone or are on the way out. In doing so, DA did not lose the support of the lockerrom.

Hiring Greg Knapp
    This move obviously did not pan out well. The problems Knapp had the first go-round with the Raiders resurfaced in 2012. At least Reggie and DA admitted the error and have made the change.

Hiring Jason Tarver
    I like the signing at the time and still do now. That Tarver had the defense with a lot of injuries playing hard down the stretch after a poor November was encouraging. In fact the defense in December was as good as I have seen from the Raiders for a number of years.

Free Agency
    No cap space what do you do. Reggie and DA had no choice to take some chances on cheaper players or players coming off injury. It worked in some instances - Phillip Wheeler and getting Goodson. It did not work in other instances - Ron Bartell and Shawntae Spencer. Signing Mike Brisiel was neither good nor bad. He did not improve the o-line nor did he weaken. That he played all season with an ankle injury is telling. What the Raiders do with him this off-season will be interesting.

Now for the players the Raiders let go. Kam Wimbley? A reasonable season and 6 sacks ould lead this team. However, his contract has not maintainable and is he really worth it? Stan Routt? Released by the Chiefs (the team with the worst record in the NFL). Not picked up by another team. Even Ron Bartell was picked up by the Lions after the Raiders cut him. Michael Bush, Jason Campbell? Did nothing to suggest they would have been better than Goodson or Palmer. Samson Satele did well for the Colts. But the plan for the Raiders was always to have Stefen Wisniewski starting at Centre. DVD was let go because he refused to be coached.

Draft
    Not much Reggie could do given the picks. Miles Burris, Jon Criner, and Christo Bilukidi played roles. Crawford is raw and willl come on. Bergstrom's progress was not helped by being moved around, in part due to injury. Given what he had, Reggie did prety well.

The obvious plus was the UDFA signing of Streater. Another UDFA signing that may work out is Lucas Nix. Also the Raiders have Punter Marquette King for 2013.

To me, I do not see what Reggie could do different taking hindisght out of it. Hindsight would suggest you do not sign Bartell and Spencer, not give Brisiel the deal he got. But hindsight is 20/20 and you have to view the moves in respect to when they were made and the situation.

What some will come up with are bringing people like Gruden and Cowher. These are pipe-dreams that could not, would not, and will not ever happen. It is easy to say bring these guys in but, realistically, they will never come to the Raiders no matter what you throw at them.
    OntarioRaider44 likes this.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by xcraider37 View Post
    @DJH_raider, the poster was being sarcastic, have a little sense of humor, he was mocking the handful of posters on this site that will come to this thread and basically believe it or not say exactly what he said. Pretty funny stuff.
    Fair enough, if true. Problem is you get so much crap from the posters you speak of it is hard to tell actual feelings from sarcasm.

Apologies if this, indeed, is sarcasm.
    OntarioRaider44 likes this.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderjohn622 View Post
    Uhh, jump ship, so if our President is not elected, we go back to where our ancestors came from for 4 years and then come back if our President is elected? Geez, one man is entitled to an opinion. Die hards wake up Sundays fired up because it's game day, we go to games, sit in front of the TV or computer and root our hearts out. "Palmer you idiot, Kelly.....again, Knapp why'd you call the seam route when all we needed was one yard."

We're all Monday morning QBs, arm chair QBs, that's what makes this forum a great thing, we all have opinions and ideas, and thoughts to share, because we love the Raiders. I think we're frustrated, more than anything. It seems we didn't take that step back, if you take that step back, you cut everybody, go 1-15 secure the top pick, eliminate all the dead weight in one year, but that did not take place, we kept Carson, Seymour, Kelly, all the vets, with this hope that it's a "quick rebuild." It didn't happen and along the way we saw mistakes, no back up long snapper, the backup QB having his timing off(that's what he said). Backups were not prepared and that lies on the HC for not pushing those things to be done. He's also done great things, the multiple fronts started up in the last 2-3 games, 2 down rushers and 2 stand up edge guys, DB blitzes to confuse blockers. Lets see what we got and fits our system defensively.

My idea, lets put a Raider system in place. If it's power with a deep game, then lets keep it, hire the necessary coaches to fill the voids, guys who can teach it. Defensively Allen/Tarver has a great start and now it's a matter of finding players. Even if Allen isn't around, our brass Mark Davis, Trask, RM need to know we need to hire guys to coach the Raider way, not guys to bring in new systems, etc. New systems mean a completely new set of players to fill the bill. In 2 years, maybe we can Allen, but we will still have the bulk of the players, lets keep those systems in place, rather than changing it completely. HC's change the culture, change communication methods, teaching methods, but keep the system in place, with new wrinkles, when you have stability on the field you can try new wrinkles, there's a chemistry on the field you can't teach. Look at the Niners defense, rarely do they sub it's they're basic 3-4 set of starters the entire game. There's chemistry, they've been together for years. We need to establish that, regardless of who's coaching. Davis can say, oh I don't know football....dude you know enough that we suck.

Dude don't ever tell me to stop being a Raider fan because I don't agree, that pisses me off more than anything. It's like telling me to get out of America because I didn't vote for the winning president. You still go out there and support the new guy's campaign, you help the old lady cross the street, open the door, rake your neighbor's leaves, buy the homeless on the street a sandwich, you don't agree with his policies, but you can still do your part to support him. We wouldn't be here if we didn't care.
    lol youre right, there are no bandwagoners here, but you have to move on with the bitterness. You have to except what has been layed in front of you and hope and cheer for the best. You can not dwell on the things you can not control. Not saying its you, but a lot of fans make Raider fans look bad by being the ugly kid pouting in the corner hoping for their team to do bad in order to say I told you so. What good does that do? Do I like the personnel? Do I like the assistants we were left to choose from? Do I like the owner who was given this team through inheritance? No. The only thing that makes this teams somewhat respected by the NFL is the well respected Reggie McKinzie and highly thought of up and comer Dennis Allen. They have a plan that they are starting to put in place that will lay a foundation while not sacaficing the future, how can you not look foward to that after all these years of hopeless swinging for the fenses and looking foolish? All I am saying is that people should be more positive instead of hoping for the worse. The team had to get worse in order to move foward.

Sorry Blackness, thread turned into exactly what you said for it not to. Maybe there is no reasonable, realistic quick fix.

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by djh_raider View Post
    Fair enough, if true. Problem is you get so much crap from the posters you speak of it is hard to tell actual feelings from sarcasm.

Apologies if this, indeed, is sarcasm.
    lmao, i thought you were being sarcastic until this... but i dont blame you, people have seriously posted these things. Including Amy Trask hiring the coaching staff based off google searching statistics. Do you really think I thought players taking 50% pay cuts was real? and that norv would just quit cleveland before getting started. this forum has killed your trust in raider fans. lol

hellbound is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheeRize View Post
    Sadly enough some here are fine watching the train wreck that is McKenzie and Allen. I dont really dislike Reggie except for his decision to fire Hue and not Fire Allen. All this team needs is a coach. Most of the players in the NFL are talented. We need a Coach to coach players up. Essentially Allen is doing what you all are doing...just sittin around waiting for something good to happen. Well you know what? Real leaders make things happen. I get paid for doing my job and Allen needs to do his job.

PS
    Do you think the Allen "haters" like myself just decided to dislike Allen for no reason? Why is it we like Cable and Hue Jackson? Maybe we are just racist againt skinny white guys. Or maybe Cable and Jackson showed fire and hope unlike Allen, Kiffin and Shell.
    And here's the first post that has someone spouting off instead of actually putting some thought into something like the OP asked.

Chairman of the Board
    I kinda guessed this might be the outcome of posting a thread here such as this.Which is fine.I just wanted to give everyone a chance to explain or offer ideas/suggestions on how they would fix the team's issues since so many are constantly complaining on how the team is being ran, whether it be the doings of Mark, Reggie, Dennis or staff.Didn't have to be a "quick fix" and there likely is NO quick fix to all these issues.
    When you have had your ass handed to you by a Raider, you've seen The Blackness!

OnTheeRize is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    I kinda guessed this might be the outcome of posting a thread here such as this.Which is fine.I just wanted to give everyone a chance to explain or offer ideas/suggestions on how they would fix the team's issues since so many are constantly complaining on how the team is being ran, whether it be the doings of Mark, Reggie, Dennis or staff.Didn't have to be a "quick fix" and there likely is NO quick fix to all these issues.
    Yes the quick fix is to fire Allen. I told you this.

Who should we hire? Anyone who has atleast coached varsity football. A coach who will make due with what he has. A leader of men with a vision.

Chairman of the Board

Who should we hire? Anyone who has atleast coached varsity football. A coach who will make due with what he has. A leader of men with a vision.
    So, in your opinion by simply firing DA & hiring a new HC w/ atleast varsity coaching experience will fix all things? 1 simple move such as that..you realize if a new HC was put into place more would happen to this team, thus another year or 2 stepping back further then what is currently in place.
    When you have had your ass handed to you by a Raider, you've seen The Blackness!

Hall of Famer

I'm amazed at the level of detail you use.

You've done nothing but state what has been said ad nauseaum on this board. It's real easy to critique others when you don't have to actually provide a reason as to why they are doing a bad job isn't it. Thanks for the nothing post.

RAIDERS64 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    The only quick fix at the moment is to sell the Raiders ! The Raiders are in a financial mess !

THANK GOD you have no control over the Raider Franchise.
    LaRaider2010 likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERS64 View Post
    The only quick fix at the moment is to sell the Raiders ! The Raiders are in a financial mess !

possibly.however, this thread wasn't really made for a quick fix.but everyone here seems to think a quick fix could happen.yes, the team is in a financial mess.but i believe reggie will get it fixed.unless you're talking about things beyond reggie's control as in financial mess.

RAIDERS64 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    possibly.however, this thread wasn't really made for a quick fix.but everyone here seems to think a quick fix could happen.yes, the team is in a financial mess.but i believe reggie will get it fixed.unless you're talking about things beyond reggie's control as in financial mess.

Blackness

Yes , I'm talking way above Reggie control .
    For the record , I too believe Reggie will get things turned around , But it will not happen overnight .
    I have Faith and Confidence in our current staff , Last year was the past , And really they had no room to play with .
    Yes it was D.A first year as a head coach , Do I consider him a failure . NO!
    He has a clean Slate for this year . I'm all in with our current Staff for the next few years .
    foodisgood70 likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERS64 View Post
    Blackness

Yes , I'm talking way above Reggie control .
    For the record , I too believe Reggie will get things turned around , But it will not happen overnight .
    I have Faith and Confidence in our current staff , Last year was the past , And really they had no room to play with .
    Yes it was D.A first year as a head coach , Do I consider him a failure . NO!
    He has a clean Slate for this year . I'm all in with our current Staff for the next few years .
    R64, that's cool..Just wanted your clarification on the financial mess meaning & you did.I see DA as a question mark @ the moment. He could go either way, it could become a complete bust or things will right themselves &start taking form.I do think he learned his mistakes w/ the hiring of some position coaches & Knapp as OC.Obviously so, since they've been fired & now replaced.I like the hiring of a solid o-line coach.I can see possible positive over Knapp when it comes to being OC for the Raiders.He has WC philosophies yet he isn't stubborn enough to continue the square peg in a round hole syndrome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information